BFG GTX 275 OC vs. GTX 260 Gigabyte Super Overclock

ShaidarHaran

hardware monkey
Veteran
My trusty old EVGA 8800 GT in the gaming rig at my G/F's (E5200 @ 3.33GHz, 8800 GT @ stockish 650/1650/1900) is starting to go out, after having a capacitor knocked off the PCB recently during a mobo swap. Thought I'd replace it with the volt-modded o/c'd 8800 GTS 512 currently in my secondary gaming rig (E8400 @ 4GHz, 8800 GTS 512 @ 750/1850/2200).

Gaming performance isn't a major concern since the monitor connected to my secondary gaming rig is only a 1680x1050 22" and every game I play runs just fine on the current 8800 GTS 512, but I do fold 24x7. I've narrowed it down to the two titular cards.

Any folders out there with either card if you could give me an idea of average PPD and the overclockability, I would greatly appreciate it.

For reference, the XFX GTX 285 in my main rig (Q9550 @ 4GHz, GTX 285 @ 702/1584/2754) pumps out a consistent 9800 PPD on average.

As an addendum: the 8800 GT will of course be re-capped and given a good second home to a PC gamer in much more dire need of a graphics card than I.

If I had started PC gaming earlier I would agree, but for me at least, all old PC games I want to play run just fine in 7. My nostalgic gaming consists mostly of virtual console games on the Wii and the Sega collection on PS3.

Why overclock a folding card? Doesn't that hurt your points per watts metric?

Why overclock a folding card? Doesn't that hurt your points per watts metric?

Sure, but that's not a metric I'm concerned with. Points Per Day and Points Per Dollar are all I care about. Power consumption isn't a big deal.

I ended up getting the BFG GTX 275 OC model at Micro Center. The 260 was likely a better value for gaming but that extra SIMD is going to help more with Folding.

Just installed the card in my G/F's gaming machine (E5200 @ 3.33GHz) and am currently getting 8673 PPD on a P5782 WU @ stock clocks (648/1440/2304). Will install in my backup gaming machine (E8400 @ 4GHz), o/c and report results when I have them. I don't think that will happen until this weekend, however.

Sure, but that's not a metric I'm concerned with. Points Per Day and Points Per Dollar are all I care about. Power consumption isn't a big deal.

For me it is. Running one computer 24/7 (low power server) is about 15 USD a month. And that computer consumes less power than a mainstream/enthusiast level graphics card. If I run my main machine 24/7 with GPU only being at load maybe 2-4 hours a day, it's an addtional 30+ USD a month and this is in a state with cheap Hydroelectric power. One of the main reasons I was happy when Vista came out and sleep mode magically just worked. Used to leave the computer on 24/7 prior to that.

So you are paying Points Per Dollar. :)

Regards,
SB

Meh, power consumption only concerns me if it results in a lot of cooler noise. Cost wise it's a pittance relative to all the other stuff you spend money on in a given month/year.

It's a personal decision. Power consumption only matters to me when it means the system overheats or causes the UPS alarm to sound, or a fuse trips.

Finally got the card installed in the machine which I originally purchased it for and settled on a conservative o/c of 675/1512/2484. A good deal shy of my 285's clocks but folding performance so far has been good. New peak numbers are over 9200 PPD so really about 95% of the 285's performance. I can't complain!

Oh my statement wasn't about whether it is or isn't relevant. Or whether someone should or shouldn't.

Just that all things considered you are paying Points per Dollar when folding. :)

I'm a firm believer in the mantra that if you earned your money, you're damn well entitled to spend that money however you want.

Regards,
SB

I suppose if one only buys hardware for the purpose of folding you could apply that line of thinking, so for me it applies since I'm such a nerd. Say hi to the gang over @ R3D for me next time you're there ;)

I actually haven't been to R3D in ages. The atmosphere on the forums was getting a little wonky the last time I was there (2 or 3 years ago?).

Regards,
SB

Heh, bad boy. :) I have all the respect for the guys running Rage 3D, it's been difficult at times over the years to have an ATI focused site (as opposed to all the Nvidia focused sites) due to all the negativity that is casually and sometimes maliciously thrown at avowed ATI fans. However, the user base there is just too young and too prone to unreasonable fanboy-ism at times (as are the Nvidia focused sites).

B3D is my primary technical haven of reasonable discourse (and only one I actively post on anymore).

Regards,
SB

This card is so good I just picked up a second one for my 3rd gaming PC, currently running a volt-modded 8800 GTS 512. Micro Center was having a sale and this time the card was $50 cheaper than last time, hard to pass up on a $200 OC'd GTX 275...

Back