Dell&HP slam "erroneous" Intel/MS HDDVD claims

valioso said:
that will depend on what kind of acceptance hd-dvd will have in the public.. I doubt studios will willingly lose on possible sales and profit.

Stop deluding yourself, son. HD-DVD's backers have begun making the switch to BluRay, a format that they weren't to eager to back before. None of the Blu Ray backers have done such a thing no matter how close we get to HD-DVDs launch. Obviously, they see something that you don't see. But let's say you're right and the wheel is just beginning to turn to where HD-DVD will momentarily get Blu Ray supporters as well, HOW do you factor Sony Pictures into that deal? Do you honestly think Sony is going to release any of their content on HD-DVD? That brings us to the consumer. If they see that Blu Ray has all of HD-DVDs content and exclusive Blu Ray support, what do you see happening next? Now, include the momentum of the PS3 penetrating homes far faster than a very expensive HD-DVD player. It's really not that complicated to see what's happening here.

zeckensack said:
Those claims are irrational. The same bitrate on the same encoder with the same source material would produce the exact same data, no? The storage medium matters zilch.

I'm skeptical too but these are made by people who compress movies for a living.

One guy even posted samples at various bitrates. I didn't bother downloading them because my computer couldn't software decode high-def content at any decent bitrates.

I'm going to give these guys the benefit of the doubt.

But they're not claiming some huge difference. Plus Blu-Ray has higher bitrates to begin with.

Now if Paramount is releasing on SL Blu-Ray and DL HD-DVD, chances are they will have the same source since the capacities are similar. So if they do it at the same bitrates, we should be able to compare. Assuming that is, they both use VC-1. The claim was made for VC-1, not H.264 or MPEG2.

Spidermate said:
Stop deluding yourself, son. HD-DVD's backers have begun making the switch to BluRay, a format that they weren't to eager to back before. None of the Blu Ray backers have done such a thing no matter how close we get to HD-DVDs launch. Obviously, they see something that you don't see. But let's say you're right and the wheel is just beginning to turn to where HD-DVD will momentarily get Blu Ray supporters as well, HOW do you factor Sony Pictures into that deal? Do you honestly think Sony is going to release any of their content on HD-DVD? That brings us to the consumer. If they see that Blu Ray has all of HD-DVDs content and exclusive Blu Ray support, what do you see happening next? Now, include the momentum of the PS3 penetrating homes far faster than a very expensive HD-DVD player. It's really not that complicated to see what's happening here.

I dont really care which format ends up winning. As long as there is only 1 format.

as a smart consumer, ima wait until the battle is done and a victor declared. im all for BR if it offers a better format or vice versa :)

Toshiba wants to talk about unification again

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11942

Speaking at a recent press conference, Fujii said Toshiba has "No intention of giving up on creating a single format," according to the Japan Times.

Negotations between HD-DVD proponent Toshiba and Sony, which is backing the rival Blu-Ray format, collapsed in June and since then there has been little to suggest that a unified format could still be a possibility.

Fujii blamed the collapse of the talks on the fact that the Blu-Ray supporters were unable to convince Toshiba that the format's disc structure was reliable. However, he went on, Toshiba is "flexible" and could be willing to compromise.

Fujii said that there is still time for new negotiations to take place but that the deadline for talks would be the end of the year, after which Toshiba plans to put its HD-DVD players on the market for the first time.

Sounds like Toshiba may be eyeing an early out. If Warner and Universal follow Paramount's lead, I think they'll be *very* flexible.

Titanio said:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=11942

Sounds like Toshiba may be eyeing an early out. If Warner and Universal follow Paramount's lead, I think they'll be *very* flexible.

Flexible as a 18 year old gymnastic girl doing splits on a bar. It's really getting crazy. I hope for us and HD-DVD team's sake that they just fold a unify with Blu-ray. But software only no hardware changes. Can't let my PS3 get pushed back anymore than it is.

I believe the report about Toshiba holding an end of year deadline was out before Paramount's announcement.

And even before Toshiba's own announcement that they would launch in Japan only this year (with no Hollywood content) and in the first quarter of 2006 in the US (again with no specific confirmation of Hollywood content being available at the same time).

There's some belief that in the event it becomes clear that HD-DVD will lose, Toshiba may try a couple of gambits, including making antitrust complaints (because Sony and some of the other BDA companies are on the DVD Forum Steering Committee and their non-votes for HD-DVD may have been anti-competitive).

The other thing they could try is to pump out cheap DVD-9 players which would decode VC-1 content in an effort to undermine Blu-Ray. As it turns out, Warners wanted this cheap route instead of going blue-laser because it would preserve their patent positions in DVD technology. Toshiba only submitted AOD (which became HD-DVD) after it became clear Sony, Matsushita and others planned to proceed with blue-laser technology.

wco81 said:
I believe the report about Toshiba holding an end of year deadline was out before Paramount's announcement.

And even before Toshiba's own announcement that they would launch in Japan only this year (with no Hollywood content) and in the first quarter of 2006 in the US (again with no specific confirmation of Hollywood content being available at the same time).

Yeah, it came just after the MS/Intel announcement apparently. I'd say they were aware of what was about to happen with Paramount at the time though, and probably aware of any motions at Warner too (if the other article is correct about Warner).

Even though Intel (along with Microsoft) just threw its weight behind the HD DVD format, the PC chip maker would very much like to see the Blu-ray and HD DVD camps re-engage in talks to unify formats. That said, it doesn't look like that's about to happen anytime soon, as both groups are progressing with their plans to get their respective formats to market.

Today's Businessweek offers a thorough insight into the bitter format wars between Sony's Blu-ray and the Microsoft-backed HD DVD, including juicy insights into a personal tussle between Bill Gates and Howard Stringer.

Back