Definition of interactive and real-time frame rates

gazsux

Newcomer
Hey,

Recently, i've been researching various shadowing techniques. Some of which claim to produce results in interactive or real-time frame rates. However, when you view the stats about these rates there seems to be considerable overlap and confusion between was is considered interactive and real-time.

Does any know of themselves or can link sources listing guides/material covering definitions of interactive and real-time frame rates?

Interactive is anything where you can interact with the system. Surfing the web is interactive. But it depends on the situation what is really considered an acceptable interation rate. For most graphics I'd say 2 frames per second is the bare minimum. That's what a doctor would need to do a visually assisted operation. When a paper claims the algorithms work at iteractive rates, it mostly doesn't mean it's suited for games. I think most call 8 frames per second interactive, although lower is possible too.

Real-time is very different. It's the point where it becomes hard to 'capture' the individual images separately. This starts at 8 frames per second, but 24 is mostly regarded as smooth real-time rendering. When higher framerates have been reached, they'll probably mention it instead of keeping things vague...

Anyway, yes there is overlap and confusion. These terms are just subjective human perception and not determined scientifically, as far as I know.

As Nick said, the exact position of the border is subjective. I'm not aware of any "standard" value over which the industry would have agreed, but FYI (and if my memory serves me well) Microsoft defined in at least one presentation real-time as 10 fps and above.

Remi said:
As Nick said, the exact position of the border is subjective. I'm not aware of any "standard" value over which the industry would have agreed, but FYI (and if my memory serves me well) Microsoft defined in at least one presentation real-time as 10 fps and above.

Yep, I seem to recall something to the same effect that 10 fps is the minimum. :)

MasterBaiter said:
Remi said:

Yep, I seem to recall something to the same effect that 10 fps is the minimum. :)

nah, i'd call slightly less than 10fps still playable.

Back