Death Stranding 2 (working title) [PS5, PC]

I actually looked at it as another movie role, because in my eyes it is a movie [...] it's not just a video game.
Elle Fenning

This is an insult to the video game medium. Cutscene are something they have to move away from in an interactive medium. Games like Cyberpunk 2077 have proven excellently that you can tell great stories while playing.

On the other hand I don't want films to be interactive. You should sit back and concentrate fully on what is shown and process it.
Unfortunately, films are increasingly being consumed as audio plays. One holds his smartphone or tablet in his hand and looks at the television from time to time. However, the image is the most important thing in a film. More and more TV shows are now also created with the awareness that they are a audio play or a second screen thing.

When one does wallpapering and turns on the music that's not listening to music either it's just exposure to sound.

Last edited:

Elle Fenning

This is an insult to the video game medium. Cutscene are something they have to move away from in an interactive medium. Games like Cyberpunk 2077 have proven excellently that you can tell great stories while playing.

On the other hand I don't want films to be interactive. You should sit back and concentrate fully on what is shown and process it.
Unfortunately, films are increasingly being consumed as audio plays. One holds his smartphone or tablet in his hand and looks at the television from time to time. However, the image is the most important thing in a film. More and more TV shows are now also created with the awareness that they are a audio play or a second screen thing.

When one does wallpapering and turns on the music that's not listening to music either it's just exposure to sound.
Until we play the game we dont really know. Her engagement might be of movie quality, but that may or may not mean it is an interactive movie with few gameplay.

Wasn't there a cutscene in DS 1 that lasted more than one hour alone ?
Probably, but the game also had a ton of gameplay too and DS1 isnt DS2. DS2 is still an unknown.
What I dont want to see is badly written script like MGS4 (even though the story was nice), translating to too many cutscenes or cutscenes where a character has to explain me every single thing in boring dialogues.
Some of Deadman's dialogues were tiring for that reason.

Last edited:

Elle Fenning

You're taking Fanning's comment the wrong way. She's talking about her experience as an actor. 'Its a complete role/story/character.' etc.

Videogames had bad reputation on actor side a few years ago...
When I look at what movies actors like Mads Mikkelsen were doing before Death Stranding I don't think Death Stranding has improved the reputation. After all, Kojima is hailed as the best of the best in the video game industry. This would rather irritate me as an actor and put me off games.

Until we play the game we dont really know. Her engagement might be of movie quality, but that may or may not mean it is an interactive movie with few gameplay.

I remain sceptical about that. With a studio like Naughty Dog I would be more reassured.

Last edited:
And after we will see Naughty dog, Rockstar, Sucker Punch, The Coalition, Playground Games real first forza Horizon all the usual suspect doing real current gen games and it will be visible we aren't on PS4 or Xbox One.

COVID is partially responsible and AAA are expensive and games takes much longer to create but two years cross gen period would have been much better.

Reactions: snc
looking forward to this, im always down for a kojima weird-fest. his games have weird stories, but are usually technically highly proficient and detailed and well-designed in the gameplay systems

also the sneaky announcement of a new IP in the espionage genre. hideo kojima's getal sear molid incoming, get hype

Kojima Unhinged. One thought after watching this, its bittersweet how much rest of industry have fallen behind few teams which have "unlimited" resources, strong technical foundation and another luxury of .... stable visionary leadership. Most of the titles, even with big publishers had retreated to overuse of flagrant colors pretending to be some "style" and 2 seconds trailer cuts to hide art/tech shortcomings. Meanwhile in Kojima game (and few other lucky ones}, even some fashion items are unlike anything seen.

I honestly don't get it. DS2 looks incredible.. and it will undoubtedly have far more variety than Hellblade 2 and be a more grander game.. but the asset quality does not beat Hellblade 2 IMO.

Is it just the imagery that people are liking more? The art style?

I honestly don't get it. DS2 looks incredible.. and it will undoubtedly have far more variety than Hellblade 2 and be a more grander game.. but the asset quality does not beat Hellblade 2 IMO.

We shall see how that hellblade will pan out in the end. First game had very good photomode faceshots on internet but aside from that it was full rather simple geometry and low res textures even with its extremly small scope , heck even the animations were not that top notch as carefully cut trailers. So far they are putting accents in similar vein.

I honestly don't think the games will be comparable in terms of scope and "level design", in the same way, I wouldn't directly compare Alan Wake 2 with Avatar...
But I could be wrong, we haven't seen enough from both to form an educated guess...

I honestly don't think the games will be comparable in terms of scope and "level design", in the same way I wouldn't directly compare Alan Wake 2 with Avatar...
But I could be wrong, we haven't seen enough from both, to form an educated guess...
Oh absolutely not. Death Stranding 2 will undoubtedly have far more variety, far more characters. It will be a much larger game for sure.

However I just don't understand how someone can say DS2 looks much better than Hellblade 2. Speaking strictly visually of course. It's one thing to prefer a style or setting or what have you.. but in that case I'd just say "DS2 is much more appealing to me". But I digress..

Back