Death Stranding 2 (working title) [PS5, PC]

its totally fine disliking kojima games, but he is an important creator. he has a vision and he follows through with it, he doesnt make a lot of games and you can not play them, thats fine, but i think its good that he makes games because his games are unique and interesting with a point of view

I think knowing the Death Stranding universe, the trailer is more grounded than other death Stranding trailer where we had no idea of the lore of the game.

There are some crazy shit like the hands around fragile neck, Higgs is a mix of the crow, kiss and a biomecha design of shinkawa, the puppet is funny but it can remind mimir head in God of War...

Last edited:
Just watched the trailer on the big screen and man, it really does look incredible. Th character rendering in particular looks like it's out of a movie, with the only real let down being the teeth. This is a day 1 buy for me (assuming it's in a good state).

its totally fine disliking kojima games, but he is an important creator. he has a vision and he follows through with it, he doesnt make a lot of games and you can not play them, thats fine, but i think its good that he makes games because his games are unique and interesting with a point of view
I agree with this as somebody who doesn't terribly like Kojima's games on the whole, though I also think there'd be plenty more people in the industry who could create these sorts of 'auteur' sorts of games with very distinct visions if publishers would let them.

I wont say he's lucky cuz he's certainly worked for and earned things, but he's absolutely insanely privileged to be almost the one and only sort of creator in the gaming industry with such control while also being given massive resources to produce his games at a AAA production level. This isn't cause he's just such a uniquely competent genius among every other game developer out there that he can justify it where nobody else can. It's just publishers never give others the same opportunity. This is still such a big shame to me.

EDIT: Anyways, about the game itself, I was hoping for a bigger departure. I had a good time experiencing Death Stranding, but only up to a point, probably about halfway through the game. I burned out hard on the natural tedium elements in the game, and I say that as somebody who generally quite likes exploring large worlds on-foot. The worlds are ultimately too sparse with too little in the way of useful distractions along the way. And the game wants you to backtrack a whole lot over long distances where anything even remotely interesting along the way has usually been covered the first time through.

Basically, I really was hoping the game wouldn't still just be another, probably even larger mail delivery sim experience. I dont know what I expected exactly, I wont begin to predict how a Kojima game 'should be', but I'm not sure I've got any motivation to spend another 20+ hours trodding along rocky paths holding down LT+RT til the tendons in my hand ache, let alone the 40-50 hours that it will probably take to actually finish it.

Last edited:
Thinking about it they could use the excellent reconstruction method used in Horizon Forbidden West for the performance mode. I would have no complaints about it, the 60fps mode looks pristine in Horizon FW (notably with how cleanly vegetation is rendered in motion). This could be a good way to specifically use the supposed RT GI even at 60fps.

Some of the talk in the openworld/linear games cost thread jogged my memory on something. When Kojima set up his studio one of his tenants was to keep it below 100 heads. This was after visiting Media Molecule and being impressed by their setup.

They did stick to that with the first game. Wonder how they're doing with headcount on the second game? It's impressive stuff if they've managed to keep their headcount down.

Some of the talk in the openworld/linear games cost thread jogged my memory on something. When Kojima set up his studio one of his tenants was to keep it below 100 heads. This was after visiting Media Molecule and being impressed by their setup.

They did stick to that with the first game. Wonder how they're doing with headcount on the second game? It's impressive stuff if they've managed to keep their headcount down.
Wait...DS had only 100 heads? That's nuts

Charging developers rent while they live and work in the studio? That's smart thinking.

Back