Dead rising interview(final hardware 4-5x the power)

Almasy said:
Acert93 said:
Almasy said:
Well, it is next gen, graphics usually get much better.

Or bigger. And in this case I think they have chosen more over better.

Heavenly Sword has both. :p
Why are you talking about a game that isn't even real-time. At least wait to see the game running at 30fps. instead of an assemblage of output frames before declaring what it can do.

ralexand said:
Almasy said:
Acert93 said:
Almasy said:

Or bigger. And in this case I think they have chosen more over better.

Heavenly Sword has both. :p
Why are you talking about a game that isn't even real-time. At least wait to see the game running at 30fps. instead of an assemblage of output frames before declaring what it can do.

So now the Heavenly Sword video isn't realtime either... :rolleyes:

So now the Heavenly Sword video isn't realtime either...
If i read DeanoC's posts right its not completely realtime or at least not that cut and dry

mckmas8808 wrote:
Hold on DeanoC. You wrote it. So tell us thousands of guys one thing. Is what we seen tonight in real-time or CGI?

The trailer was made by selecting a bunch of in-game moves/cool things, Then those frames making up those bits were output at 1080p from the engine. These are then all stuck together in a editing and post-processing package to look like a movie trailer.

But fundementally the 'renderer' itself was in-game, so you can see the shadow issues in certain frame where the in-game shadow map resolution optimiser doesn't do its job.

So in all fairness its not quite as black and white as either real-time or CGI...
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=522117#522117

jvd said:
So now, the graphical quality of the zombies is a lot less than what we want since we want to get as many zombies on-screen as we can. But I guarantee that in the end the game will have a lot better graphics with all of those on-screen zombies.

I did read that comment and included in my prev. message but what I didn't understood is how does "lot better graphics" translate into "none of that repeate zombie skin". Will they be able to generate zombie skins programattically thus making sure all of the zombies have unique skins ? or they will generate 1000 unique textures ? as they are targetting 1000 zombies on screen.

I think non repeating textures would be trivial, just procedurally generate the textures out of a preselected pallete.

crystalcube said:
jvd said:
So now, the graphical quality of the zombies is a lot less than what we want since we want to get as many zombies on-screen as we can. But I guarantee that in the end the game will have a lot better graphics with all of those on-screen zombies.

I did read that comment and included in my prev. message but what I didn't understood is how does "lot better graphics" translate into "none of that repeate zombie skin". Will they be able to generate zombie skins programattically thus making sure all of the zombies have unique skins ? or they will generate 1000 unique textures ? as they are targetting 1000 zombies on screen.
they are talking about fixing up the graphics . I take it as them making more zombie skins .

I don't think it should be hard to make say 100 shirts , a 100 accesorys , a 100 pants and then use a random generator to change the colors and combinations of the items . that alone should make it look like htere are more kinds of zombies than there really are

jvd said:
crystalcube said:
jvd said:

they are talking about fixing up the graphics . I take it as them making more zombie skins .

I don't think it should be hard to make say 100 shirts , a 100 accesorys , a 100 pants and then use a random generator to change the colors and combinations of the items . that alone should make it look like htere are more kinds of zombies than there really are

What worries me is that the human brain is quite a sneaky little fella... Even with 100 different colour combinations, we WILL see the next repetitive pattern within seconds, and it will be the fact that there will only be VERY few shape changes.
1000 zombies might have 1000 different coloured shirts, but they're still shirts of the same shape, couple with trousers of a 1000 different colours but all shaped the same. And there will be a very few "zombie face" models.
Then the next repeating pattern will look even more obvious: they will all move the same - obviously, they're zombies.
See the predicament?! We're just too clever :D

well what do you really need .

Lets see . how about 300 of each zone . So say 300 diffrent things for the head , 300 diffrent thigns for the torsals and so on ?

That means with just using those diffrent items with out changing colors u will get an average reuse of 3.3 times for each item .

Now are you really going to notice 3 or 4 zombies out of 1k that have the same items on ? Esp when they are all in diffrent colors ?

I don't think you will really notice it . If you pause the game and look u might , but in the action u wont . I don't see it taking that long to make that many diffrent combos

What worries me is that the human brain is quite a sneaky little fella... Even with 100 different colour combinations, we WILL see the next repetitive pattern within seconds, and it will be the fact that there will only be VERY few shape changes.

I do tend to agree that most people will see the pattern , some will do it in matter of seconds, some will take a little longer. But what I think is the comment doesn't translates to elimination of repetitive patterns but reduction. They will be able to reduce the repetition but not eliminate it. Also they might not focus too much on this as an average gamer might not worry too much about it as long as it turns out to be a fun scenario.

crystalcube said:

I do tend to agree that most people will see the pattern , some will do it in matter of seconds, some will take a little longer. But what I think is the comment doesn't translates to elimination of repetitive patterns but reduction. They will be able to reduce the repetition but not eliminate it. Also they might not focus too much on this as an average gamer might not worry too much about it as long as it turns out to be a fun scenario.

Well that's what instancing is for...I mean if it works on trees then it can surely work on human characters.

PC-Engine said:
Well that's what instancing is for...I mean if it works on trees then it can surely work on human characters.

How would instancing help?!

I'm talking about many different shapes to the clothes. That's all content creation, not a hardware limitation.

We want zombies in shirt and trousers, zombies in the nude, zombies with shorts and half a top (ripped), zombies in drag, zombies with one arm, zombies with half a face, zombies with something stuck in them, zombies with skirts, black burnt zombies...

See what i mean? The big burden in on whoever has to create all that different content. Instancing won't help much.

london-boy said:
PC-Engine said:

How would instancing help?!

I'm talking about many different shapes to the clothes. That's all content creation, not a hardware limitation.

We want zombies in shirt and trousers, zombies in the nude, zombies with shorts and half a top (ripped), zombies in drag, zombies with one arm, zombies with half a face, zombies with something stuck in them, zombies with skirts, black burnt zombies...

See what i mean? The big burden in on whoever has to create all that different content. Instancing won't help much.

Well I thought you were talking about body shapes and sizes which could be handled with instancing. I'm not sure if instancing could help with clothes though.

PC-Engine said:

There is one critical difference , perception. People dont much care about "trees" ;) so in most cases people do not pay much attention to trees. I mean how many people actually care about differences in "trees" even in real life.

Well I can see there is no polygon collision detection. I hate the fact that some of the zombies limbs are magically going through other zombies. How much longer will we still be seeing characters walking half way into walls.

Lucky none of the zombies are wearing capes :p

crystalcube said:
PC-Engine said:

There is one critical difference , perception. People dont much care about "trees" ;) so in most cases people do not pay much attention to trees. I mean how many people actually care about differences in "trees" even in real life.

Well sometimes in real life you need to remember what tree is found where since it can help you find you way in certain situations. ;)

I mean think about it. If everyday you drove down the same street to go to work and saw the same trees, wouldn't you notice if someone cut down some of of them? I would. ;)

Almasy said:
jonnyp said:
Almasy said:
I´m not liking what I´ve seen of this game. It´s strictly current gen graphics but with masses of zombies on screen. Hopefully Capcom will be able to do something interesting with the final development kit.

Although IMO the 30% thingy is just MS damage control, I do think things will get better.

Graphically it's not that great but who cares? It looks like a ton of fun.

Well they are much better, so what's your point? I would like to see hundreds of zombies of that quality on screen at once on a current gen console. Somehow I doubt it's possible :p

jonnyp said:
Almasy said:
jonnyp said:
Almasy said:
I´m not liking what I´ve seen of this game. It´s strictly current gen graphics but with masses of zombies on screen. Hopefully Capcom will be able to do something interesting with the final development kit.

Although IMO the 30% thingy is just MS damage control, I do think things will get better.

Graphically it's not that great but who cares? It looks like a ton of fun.

Well they are much better, so what's your point? I would like to see hundreds of zombies of that quality on screen at once on a current gen console. Somehow I doubt it's possible :p

Not really, in terms of polygon counts, textures and so on, those zombies look ripped straight out of RE Outbreak. The only difference is that there are a thousand zombies in a scene this time. The actual graphics quality remains the same.

So in this case graphics got bigger, like Acert said, instead of better. Or at least that´s how I see it.

Back