dead pixel guarantee suppliers?

Sxotty

Legend
So I have been debating buying an LCD for quite awhile, what I wonder is does anyone know a few suppliers that guarantee no dead pixels? I simply get quite annoyed with them and cannot handle it if I pay a large sum of money for a display. If I am paying $500 for a display I would be willing to pay a decent premium to assure myself it will be a perfect display, and I know there is a wide variety of people with the same view so I thought that some of youguys might have suggestions for such a supplier.

Sxotty said:
So I have been debating buying an LCD for quite awhile, what I wonder is does anyone know a few suppliers that guarantee no dead pixels?

afaik, in finland Philips has zero defect pixels waranty for digital (dvb-t) tuner models. don't know about international waranty though.

first lcd monitor was a viewsonic, didn't even bother scanning it for dead/stuck pixels as i wasn't happy with all the blurring and picture noise(it was d-sub only) but couldn't return it to newegg as they only allow returns for units with at least 8 dead pixels. :( lesson learned. ended up selling it on ebay for far half of what it was worth.

used that money to help buy a samsung 710t from amazon.com. it had dead/stuck pixels. they let me exchange my 710t lcd monitor. i just claimed 'weird screen defect' in their support page. the second one also had dead pixels. they didn't let me exchange a second time so i just returned it for cash. i was fairly happy with amazon.com, i handled the return entirely through their website and they paid for shipping. it wasn't their fault the second unit had dead pixels, i can understand not letting me exchange over and over until i get one without dead pixels, and at least they still let me return it the second time.

then i got a samsung 172x. one stuck white pixel. this time i decided to call samsung instead of exchanging through amazon.com. i was so fed up with this dead/stuck pixel crap that i would just try once to exchange with samsung or just live with it already. didn't get my hopes up about them exchanging my monitor because of one stuck pixel and called them but to my amazement they actually did replace it for me. they sent me the unit while i still had my 172x then i sent my old one back to them. they paid for shipping. i seem to remember finding out later that samsung actually has a zero dead pixel policy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I am not in finland :)

And the samsung story is good, but I imagine someone somewhere guarantees it so you do not have to go through such a painful process to get a decent monitor. I will not buy an LCD from Newegg that is for sure. I may do something somewhat evil and buy 3x 2001fp from dell and check all of them to see if I can find one with perfect pixels and use the other two for a system I build someone, I imagine out of three monitors maybe I can get a good one...still seems a pain.

Samsung publicly unveiled their zero-dead-pixel policy. If it ever happens that you buy a Samsung LCD and it has a dead pixel, you can return it straight away, and if they bitch about it, you can scream court case "because you only bought that set on the basis of that policy".

Sometimes you just have to talk to them properly. :D

Thank you LB, I knew I had heard one of the majors had such a policy but I could not remember who it was.

AFAIK there are three: Hyundai, Samsung and Philips. But it might be that the resellers don't like the hassle or aren't used to it yet, so ask up front. But you can always go directly to the manufacturer with one of those three.

I've had 3 Dells, one 17" model (bought '01) and two 19" (from '05), one of these was a replacement for the other due to non-functional USB ports, and none of them have/had any dead/stuck (sub)pixels. My Sony TV (17" wide) also has no screen defects. Either I'm lucky as f**k (unlikely :)), or LCD quality has picked up radically and most screens are perfect these days.

Guden Oden said:
I've had 3 Dells, one 17" model (bought '01) and two 19" (from '05), one of these was a replacement for the other due to non-functional USB ports, and none of them have/had any dead/stuck (sub)pixels. My Sony TV (17" wide) also has no screen defects. Either I'm lucky as f**k (unlikely :)), or LCD quality has picked up radically and most screens are perfect these days.
They are. Most of them, in any case. But it would still suck if you do get a bad one.

My laptop I bought this fall has a Dead pixel so perhaps I am more worried about it.

It is a bright white pixel in the upper right that is extremely annoying to me, except thanks to the love of a higher being I only use my laptop to write in word and therefore don't notice it. The few times I have done anything like watch a movie though I wanted to throw it through a window.

I am very sensitive to ghosting and dead pixels annoy me to no end, but I don't really care about AA and am not nearly the IQ whore that many here are so I don't really understand myself.

Back