SoftBank Agrees to Buy ARM Holdings for More Than $32 Billion

Discussion in 'Mobile Industry' started by Erinyes, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Erinyes

Regular

From the WSJ - http://www.wsj.com/articles/softbank-agrees-to-buy-arm-holdings-for-more-than-32-billion-1468808434
    Quite the deal..google tells me the current market cap is ~$32B so this represents almost a 100% premium. Maybe there were other bidders in the fray?

Edit: Current P/E is already 48..and a 100% premium would bring it to almost a 100. I know its ARM and of course the long term potential is huge..but its still a very high price to pay.

#1 Erinyes, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    BRiT likes this.
  2. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

You might say, "crazy, why would they sell out?", but when the profits are this big you'd basically be nuts not to say yes... :p Who owns ARM right now? Or rather, who are the major stock owners? :p

3. tangey

Veteran

I'm not sure how many of ARM's shares are held on the US stock market V UK stock market, but apparently yen has faired even better than the $, against the £. Although the £/$ price is quite impressive, they are likely getting in for 10%+ less in yen, than 3 weeks ago.

4. milk

Veteran Regular

Well that did cost an ARM and a Leg? Am I right?

5. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

From the public record, it looks like the majority of major owners are institutional investors and mutual funds.