darn thing wont boot.(update)

epicstruggle

Passenger on Serenity
Veteran
Hi, new mb, video card came in put the thing together but it wont boot.

I posted this over at H, but ill start a thread here to incase someone has run into the same problem. Help would be greatly appreciaed.

Just purchased the new DFI nf4 ultra-d (non-sli), with this purchase i go an ATI 850XT PE pcie. Ok got 2x512mb crucial ballistix, antec neo 500(?)w power supply. Nothing else in the system (well other than rapotor 74gb HD). 3800+amd64, thermaltake silent tower

Ok put the thing together. I think i did everything right. Problem: lcd screen wont turn on, i get a constant series of long beeps. Went to dfi website, its saying that this maybe because of either power source or video card not properly connected. Ok so what do i do? the video card is properly placed, and the powersupply is fine.

crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap, crap. deep breath. fuck, fuck, fuck. deep breath. sigh.

Please what should i do? Not sure if the chipset cooler might be the problem, when i put the videocard in to the topmost pcieslot, the videocard bumps into it.

please list any trivial solutions, maybe im not doing something very basic. thanks

epic
ps i hope this is the right place for this post, if not pleas let me know where to post it. again thanks.

UPDATE: First and foremost Im an idiot and the mobo industry needs to standardize what mem slots your supposed to use. Im moving from the MSI neo2 which uses the 2 mem slots closest to the CPU, DFI uses slots 2 and 4. This apperantly was enought to screw me for the last 8 hours.

However, now that ive booted into windows, i get this weird red lines, hundreds and hundreds of them. from the boot screen till windows loads. Is this because i havent loaded ati's drivers??

The manual should tell you exactly what those beeps mean.

Try:

Making sure the motherboard is properly grounded (no standoffs from the old motherboard in the wrong place)?

Video card plugged into a molex?

Try it with only one of the memory sticks in place (are you sure Ballistix is compatable with your motherboard?)

Some PSU's need a certain loading on them before they will work, so try pluggin in the other main peripherals.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
The manual should tell you exactly what those beeps mean.

Try:

Making sure the motherboard is properly grounded (no standoffs from the old motherboard in the wrong place)?

Video card plugged into a molex?

Try it with only one of the memory sticks in place (are you sure Ballistix is compatable with your motherboard?)

Some PSU's need a certain loading on them before they will work, so try pluggin in the other main peripherals.
thanks for the reply. The manual is pretty bare, i went to their website and the beeping apperantly means either power source, or video card not properly place.

I plugged the molex on the video card, and 3 on the motherboard, one 24 pin, one 4 pin, and a regular molex (same as on a dvd rom) on the motherboard.

The hard drive, and videocard are my only perephreals so not sure what other items i need to have to make the load heavier. you think that might be the problem?

i might not reply right away, i need to take a break from it before i break something. :?

arg,
epic

MfA said:
Try booting with 1 stick of ram and an old pci video card.
ill go to best buy in the morning, will get a pci vid card, and a pcie will test both. from a post on H, a guy is saying it might be a capacitor next to the 12v connector. :devilish: Sucks if i have to rma the mb.

Sounds like it is most probably a faulty motherboard to me.

Can you test the memory and PSU in an older system to check there are no problems with them?

I've had a similar experience when an entirely new system I built wouldn't work and it was most frustrating. It was a faulty PSU in my case and I discovered this by testing the PSU in another PC.

the psu and memory are coming from a computer that was crashign in EQ2, and failing prime 95, althought other than those 2 programs everything else ran fine. Fruck, i think ill get a couple of things from best buy, video cards, and a psu. if with those 2 new items and the thing wont start, than it has to be the MB.

I need to find something to break. be back later.

epic

UPDATE: First and foremost Im an idiot and the mobo industry needs to standardize what mem slots your supposed to use. Im moving from the MSI neo2 which uses the 2 mem slots closest to the CPU, DFI uses slots 2 and 4. This apperantly was enought to screw me for the last 8 hours.

However, now that ive booted into windows, i get this weird red lines, hundreds and hundreds of them. from the boot screen till windows loads. Is this because i havent loaded ati's drivers??

Do the red lines garble the screen completely to a point of not being able to read anything?

I had a similar occurance with my upgrade. RMA'ing the video card did the trick.

Blade said:
Do the red lines garble the screen completely to a point of not being able to read anything?

I had a similar occurance with my upgrade. RMA'ing the video card did the trick.
no out of the 1200 lines, id say a good 200-300 lines are red. I still havent loaded ati drivers, so that might be it. god i hope the video card hasnt quit on me.

epic

Back