Dad bought an Audi A6 Quattro

I'm not exactly sure, but that's probably something like that. It also has a 5-speed tiptronic transmission, so I know it's not the model linked. That's fully manual.

Jabbah said:
Hmm, didnt someone post a link to which car it probably was, ie the standard A6 with biturbo...

I actually missed your post, but even then, I was looking at the 2003 year model with 410bhp when I posted that. Now that I look at your post more closely, it seems the car in your link is also a 2003 model without the bitturbo. Oh well.

As much as I like Audi's though, I'd probably go for a BMW M3 or something (or M6 as I quite dig the styling).

Last edited by a moderator:
Phil said:
Now that I look at your post more closely, it seems the car in your link is also a 2003 model without the bitturbo. Oh well.

As much as I like Audi's though, I'd probably go for a BMW M3 or something (or M6 as I quite dig the styling).

It was buried inside the review, but it is the biturbo:

A6 2.7T Review
"On the Road"
With 250 horsepower plus 258 lb. ft. of torque at 1850 rpm, Audi's super-sophisticated V-6 engine provides V-8-like performance. The biturbo system (two in tandem) ensures turbo lag is imperceptible.

The M series is nice but its still a BMW.:p

_xxx_ said:
BMW is still lightyears ahead of Audi in just about every regard and it's not about to change soon.

Tottaly agree and they are also spending more on R&D than Mercedes I've been told. But the comment wasnt really in reference to technical prowess, more the image.

Well Audi did gain a good image, but it's more because of the very nice choice of materials for the interieur and the looks, technically they still lag behind the big two a bit. And don't even get me started with RWD ;)

BMW sold some 1.5 mio cars last year as opposed to Audis 0.8 mio as well. As it is now, BMW stomps all over Mercedes too, I don't really like that. We will need some 5 years at least to catch up if our execution should work out as supposed...

XXX can you clarify that about the Mercedes <> BMW bit? I haven't been following the two closely lately but find it highly interesting, especially since you work for Merc, right?

Phil said:
XXX can you clarify that about the Mercedes <> BMW bit? I haven't been following the two closely lately but find it highly interesting, especially since you work for Merc, right?

Yup. Well, they have much higher margins at the moment and sell more cars, due to our problems with Smart and all the recalls in the last 2-3 years. We are reorganizing now but it's a long process which also swallows loads of money. BMW's already been through the reorganization and works with new processes already, we've been delayed by issues above and are just starting to really "live" the new way. Can't say more than that, but you can think the rest.

Our margins this year are already much better, so it seems to be going in the right direction. And the best thing that could happen to us is our new boss, Mr. Zetsche. The best man for the job bar none, steering the boat in the right direction.

BMW sells more 3 series then any other car they produce. It's their volume seller, and arguably the car they put the most new design aspect into. I realize they add a lot of electronic gizmos to the seven, having just driven a 2003 745Li from San Diego to Jackson Hole,WY. Honestly I would have preferred the 760Li as the 745 felt just a tad underpowered for the prestige it seems to carry. The rear cab motorized windowshades/SMG tranny setting/GPS navi was pretty sweet though. BMWs are defintely the best driving machines I've had the chance to sample; a friend owns two '94 850ci's. One is the standard AT, and his other is the 6 spd MT. I'm personally a fan of stick, but both 850's were fun as hell to drive. The closest thing I own to either is a '94 Dodge Stealth RT/TT. Don't let the domestic name fool you, it's a japanese supercar imported for Dodge, 320 HP stock, AWD, AWS, among other amenities. I'm currently undergoing a major engine rebuild with new headers, heads, etc. Should be at around 650-700hp AWHP when it's said and done. I would imagine there's no feeling like pwning 2004-2006 F430's and Gallardo's in a car I picked up for $10 grand mint condition, and slapped new turbos and supporting fuel mods into. I've already beaten older F348's in stock form. The only toss up now is how big to make the turbos. I do love the Italian sound though, hoping to own an F430 one day. I spoke to an F430 owner the other day, and he said I simply needed to "lose more hair" before I would have one. Someday perhaps. Anyway, slightly drunk peace out to all you car buffs. On a final note to keep the thread going, wtf didn't BMW ever make a factory blown M3. Straight 6 for the win!!

Back