Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

Skyrim Ships 10 Million, Is Fastest Selling Game in Steam History
http://www.ripten.com/2011/12/15/skyrim-ships-10-million-is-fastest-selling-game-in-steam-history/

ZeniMax® Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks’® The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360® video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.

“Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam’s history” said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. “Bethesda’s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.”

Do the enemies level up with you the way they do in Oblivion? I find it most infuriating how in Oblivion, leveling up might make your character comparatively weaker, especially if certain combat skills haven't improved quickly enough. It's a completely idiotic system. I never get the feeling my character is getting stronger, only that he's gaining new abilities. I recently hit a tier where suddenly, everything pwnz me in 3 hits, and quests I avoided earlier because they were too hard are even harder now.

I'm glad I bought this for only $20.

Do the enemies level up with you the way they do in Oblivion? I find it most infuriating how in Oblivion, leveling up might make your character comparatively weaker, especially if certain combat skills haven't improved quickly enough. It's a completely idiotic system. I never get the feeling my character is getting stronger, only that he's gaining new abilities. I recently hit a tier where suddenly, everything pwnz me in 3 hits, and quests I avoided earlier because they were too hard are even harder now.

Most enemies do not level their stats with you, but you will find more stronger types of enemies if you are a higher level (notably Dragons, draugr, vampires, bandits).

It's a better system than Oblivion, you definitely wont feel weak at higher levels.

With Alchemy, Smithing and Enchanting at your disposal, your character is as powerful as you'd like it to be.

If you need to be feel powerfull play in very easy. ;)

And Oblivion is a game where you are too much powerfull to quickly, despite daedra, you kill them to easy also in hard setting, very boring.

Skyrim got a better balance than Oblivion, not perfect but better.

fearsomepirate said:

Once u get daedric armor and weapons and train alchemy u one hit kill stuff anyway

I always like it when people tell me some thing that happened to me in a game doesn't happen in the game. That's always so helpful. I guess I must have just imagined getting 3-shotted by a bear that took me ~18 arrows to kill...and had another bear following right behind him. But it's good to know it was just a dream.

I definitely prefer Borderlands' system, where quests have clearly denoted levels.

Nobody said it didn't happen? We just said that even with the level system oblivion is very easy if u build ur char correctly! U do get all powerful if u want :)

In oblivion it's very important not to level up before ur main combat skills have gone up, otherwise ur gonna get into trouble

I remember in oblivion I made a 100% camo suit. That made life easy! Every hit was stealth hit and 99% of the enemies cannot see you. Got kind of boring after that

Your question has been answered in the forum -PC games section, though- with this post:

http://74.200.65.90/showpost.php?p=1605546&postcount=913

From my personal experience, auto-level like in Oblivion is gone -save a few exceptions-. A couple of examples in my game:

- At level 1 I decided to go to a particular place -shown in the last youtube video I posted here- because there is something I wanted there, and in my 1st walkthrough, which I left at level 20 to start a mage, there was a very tough dragon watching over that "something" I wanted. Any attempt to get it was thwarted by the dragon.

So I decided to go there being level 1, out of curiosity, because I know dragons don't ever appear in the game until you complete a certain quest...

The plan was working fine if it wasn't for the fact that there was a Wispmother instead of the dragon. I had no chance, I had to leave the place.

- At level 12 (I'm now level 13) I found the Silent Moons Camp. The bandits are so low level there (outside the dungeon, I don't know inside) that they were completely pitiful. I spent quite a few minutes having a playful fight with one of them, because his damage was very low.

I put all my level up points into Magicka, except for one level, and even if my mage has a low health (I don't need much because of the way I play) he barely scratched me. He attacked me with Sparks, which tickled:p and when he ran out of magicka he attacked me with the dagger. I used him to use Restoration because I am Healer-Summoner.

I am like that doctor in Alaska from the series Northern Exposure.:smile:

I wonder if I am out of touch with game sales as of currently but I am completely surprised they shipped so many copies, and they sold more than 4,000.000 copies. Even in Japan Skyrim was the 3rd or 4th game in the best selling games list, which is particularly unforeseen.

I don't know where those numbers come from, honestly, it's a single player game after all. Talking of which, back in the day I've been in a few discussions about bringing Multiplayer to any TES game and everytime it was shot down with such an unimaginable force that it ripped a black hole in space and time. I consider myself a purist, and I have vocalized many times on that particular subject of no multiplayer in TES for a multitude of reasons.

On a different note, the game has earned more than 200 perfect review scores.

http://www.nxus.co/games/200-reviewers-say-skyrim-is-the-perfect-game-17190/

I seem to have hit a Skyrim overload. For the past couple of weeks I have been itching to get Skyrim in the PS3 and got hit things. And then suddenly, last night, I found myself looking at the case and thinking about Mass Effect instead and how I could really do with some scifi gun play. So I unwrapped Deus Ex (which arrived on the same day as Skyrim) and started playing that instead.

And now I find myself not wanting to play Syrim. After 200+ hours I seem to be suffering from swords and sandles fatigue...

I take it all back. Having played Skyrim and then Deus Ex I can only say Deus Ex is boring, boring, boring. Nothing happens when you walk around, the missions are boring, the people are boring. Even shooting civilians for fun becomes boring. Come back skyrim all is forgiven!!

does anyone know, now with the patch (360) should I delete the game install from my flash drive and install back to HDD?

which is faster or does it matter?

thx

does anyone know, now with the patch (360) should I delete the game install from my flash drive and install back to HDD?

which is faster or does it matter?

thx
I kept the game installed in my USB drive and I don't see how the game would be improved by further adding some more changes to your installation if it's not completely necessary.

I mean, I have the game installed in the flash drive since the first day I played it and I also tested the 1.2 patch to test if it ran fine on the HDD and the texture bug was gone, but I installed it back to the USB drive. because of the problems some people were experiencing with very large save files, thus I use the HDD just for the save files or the caching the game does, and the USB for the installed game.

Even so, from the little I tested the 1.2 patch onward I can tell you that the texture bug seems to be gone after installing the game in the HDD, so is should work great for you. Skyrim is the only game I installed in a flash drive and the game isn't too inherently problematic with this setup, and in fact I think it just helps the game to run better in the long run, but I can't say exactly.

I finally reached Solitude. It wasn't easy,and I got lost. It took me a lot more time than I thought despite the fact I was following directions but for some odd reason and without going out of the road there, I was either mistaken or I was contemplating the landscape and I didn't notice something important.

Theoretically, I should be there in like an hour on foot, but it was more like two hours and a half in the end. When crossing Solitude's walls I decided to leave the game there but a friend told me it's a very beautiful city so I will give the city a more thorough examination tonight.

After reaching Solitude, I noticed a man was about to be hanged. I will try to save him the next time around, because I am anti-Imperial in this walkthrough and in the next.

There is a "way" to stop his execution, not very useful though, but still... As shown in this fun video:

So my 3rd character is going to be a female, a rogue Archer, very smart and someone who loathes injustices, and has a very deep aversion against the Thalmor and some nobles. She is the middle ages version of a psychologist, helping those in need especially.

Her motto is "Help and you will be helped". She thinks she can help the people of Tamriel, especially those with a profound and perhaps lasting unhappiness because of their delusion of not being good enough.

Her name will be Sarah -I haven't decided the two surnames yet-, the finest archer of the planet Nirn, and a person whose inborn heart, brilliant attitude, formidable work, integrity, and talent will help the people in need, and will deserve her the name of the Dragonborn, although she doesn't know it yet.

Ballads will be sing about her and she will remain in the memory of people forever. The maid of Skyrim. :smile:

Here is a hint of what my Dohvakiina will look like, but this is subject to change. I'd like to "save" Roggvir in my next walkthrough.

OGqDZ.jpg

She will be, just partially, based on a famous (well, only here in my homeland) heroic woman from the place where my father was born. He used to tell me all these tales about her and a famous male hero here. She was called Pepa the Wolfess. :smile2:

That would be the literal translation to English. She was a middle age Robin Hood like heroic woman who lived with her gang in the mountains surrounding the place were my father was born. Little was known about her personal life, except she had an aunt called Dorinda and that she fell in love with a guy she studied with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got this for Xmas. Haven't started playing yet cuz I really dunno what class to make. In oblivion I played a assassin type character. Ended up sneaking and backstabbing things, which gets boring after a while.

Is the melee combat still as crappy as before?

Any super cool magic skills?

Combat's quite different. You arm a left and right 'thing', which can be a weapon, shield or spell. So you can have a spell on your left hand with a weapon on your right, and switch setups too IIRC. Hence mixing magic and melee makes sense, and opens up the classes to whatever you want to play - dual wield, dual magic, magic and weapon, shield and weapon, etc.

Got this for Xmas. Haven't started playing yet cuz I really dunno what class to make. In oblivion I played a assassin type character. Ended up sneaking and backstabbing things, which gets boring after a while.

Is the melee combat still as crappy as before?

Any super cool magic skills?

You can play any way you like and switch things around with your character as you please.

Dual weild is the most powerful.

Destruction magic stop scaling after a certain point

Sneak/bows do well also

Smithing/Enchanting are the key

Conjurgation is very powerful esp when you can summon 2 Dremora Lords

Back