Cyan's *Must-Have* Skyrim Mod Recommendation Super-Gush Thread - daily updates

My primary follower (Mijoll) magically became useless for some reason. And it wasn't at a leveling point or anything. She can barely carry her own armor, nor less anything extra and now goes down in fights super fast where she use to be my tank. Have no idea what happened. The only recent change where the timing is close is setting her up with Dragon Plate armor instead of the Steel Plate armor she had. I'm at about level 35, and she's suppose to scale well up to level 40. Very strange and quite annoying.

Got this for Xmas. Haven't started playing yet cuz I really dunno what class to make. In oblivion I played a assassin type character. Ended up sneaking and backstabbing things, which gets boring after a while.

Is the melee combat still as crappy as before?

Any super cool magic skills?
The combat has improved slightly, don't expect miracles though.I am talking about hand to hand combat. Magic, archery, sneaking, healing, elemental, are pretty fine.

Yes, there are some cool magic spells. My character is a Healer, I am having so much fun. I use summons for help, since I don't use a weapon nor I have armour. I keep an Elven dagger with me just in case I need it, but Lydia is awesome -I heal her when she is in combat, I don't want her to die, ever- and some of my summons are great distractions too.

I think its level of depth might satisfy you, customization and RPG goodness surpasses many other modern games in the market, and you can do many many things. :smile:

Compared to classic RPG games like the german game Ancient Domains of Mystery, an amazing RPG back in the day, it has the same number of races, 10, and then you can be what you prefer through the use of different abilities. But Ancient Domains of Mystery has a better RPG style when it comes to decision-making. :smile:

That was one of the reasons why I loved the first minutes of Morrowind and creating a new character even if I didn't save. I loved the part where you chose your birth sign, race, signed papers, etc.

One of the things I love the most about TES games is that you can only learn abilities through use (something I disliked about Mass Effect is that I could be the finest sniper of the whole galaxy without ever touching a sniper rifle in the game,:???: for instance).

Sometimes you can pay people to train you, but it gets to a point that you have to learn more by your own means until being able to pay a trainer again.

My primary follower (Mijoll) magically became useless for some reason. And it wasn't at a leveling point or anything. She can barely carry her own armor, nor less anything extra and now goes down in fights super fast where she use to be my tank. Have no idea what happened. The only recent change where the timing is close is setting her up with Dragon Plate armor instead of the Steel Plate armor she had. I'm at about level 35, and she's suppose to scale well up to level 40. Very strange and quite annoying.

Surprise, surprise, followers don't level properly. Fallout 3 and NV also had some issues with followering levelling, but not as bad as this. In the PC version you can fix it in the console, but other than that you really only have the option to just get a new follower and leave your old one alone.

Surprise, surprise, followers don't level properly. Fallout 3 and NV also had some issues with followering levelling, but not as bad as this. In the PC version you can fix it in the console, but other than that you really only have the option to just get a new follower and leave your old one alone.

Ah, that's just wonderful since my primary follow is also my wife. :mad: Worked and leveled properly with me quite a while though, which is what confuses me. It's as if her stats actualy went down for some reason. Like I mentioned, her carrying capacity completely plummeted. In fact, at one point, I pulled all of her gear from her, and tried to give it all back and was unable to because a couple of the pieces were too heavy. I see the PC version is the way to go for Elder Scrolls games so that you can work around the glitches with console access.

It seemed my companions were levelling with me but maybe not. There's been so many... lol! Just lost the latest one in yngol barrow. I had tooled him up to the hilt as well, enchanted ebony armour, dwarven axe with additional fire sauce. Three hits and he was history! Mind you I'm now a bard, the archmage, a companion, being hunted by the assassins guild (why I know not), and have three properties crammed to the hilt with flawless this and enchanted that. And a ridiculous amount of gold. 90k+ at the last count.

I remember having to scrabble for every penny in Oblivion and yet I seem to be sweating gold with every quest in Skyrim. But I've also noticed that 90% of the shop keepers sell absolute sh1te, it's like they're catering for tourists and the good stuff is being kept hidden.

[Sad Fact] : I've kept the save game just before Lydia died. She was my favourite companion so far. She was a fair fighter, and her conversation seemed a lot less inane than the majority of the others.

Just noticed the amount of soul gems I have as well, I'm practically tripping over the things. I think I'm going to drop them all in one place and take a photo!

Last edited by a moderator:
have this game for a while.... level 17 now but this is the most overhyped game this gen surpassed GTA4.

1. Obtain quest
2. Go for objective - town, castle, cave or etc
3. Near at the end of the quest kill the master, dragon or etc
4. Get the objective- book, staff, amulet or etc
5. Level UP
6. Return the objectice or talk to someone
7. END of the quest

its so boring ... How in the world can be this game of the year? HOW?? and i dont want to talk about the technical flaws (I have the PS3 version) ..

have this game for a while.... level 17 now but this is the most overhyped game this gen surpassed GTA4.

1. Obtain quest
5. Level UP
7. END of the quest

its so boring ... How in the world can be this game of the year? HOW?? and i dont want to talk about the technical flaws (I have the PS3 version) ..
If you don't like the game, that's ok, because they say there's no accounting for taste. However, you are over-simplifying things. I am going to list some games with great scores this generation, some considered either masterpieces or very good games. Let´s say Uncharted 2 and Gears of War:

- Clear room out of enemies.

- Sequence.

- Move onto next room.

- Clear it out again..

- Go to objective.

Mario; Jump on things, find items.

You haven't played 5% of the game and are you sure that the quest are always the same? Because I am level 29 now and I finished some more quests and they were similar to yours in many cases, but I have encountered others with a very different style.

Also,people tell thousands of particular anecdotes about the game because of its openness. You can be an alchemist, a healer (I am), a summoner, a warrior, and archer, play the game without even touching the main quest, choose sides, marry, buy a house, have a follower who will help you, trick enemies into attacking their own allies with illusion magic, fight baddies without ever using a weapon, like I did, etc etc.

The game is an RPG which follows the rules of the classics of the genre, or table-top RPGs, which means having a fantasy setting, and dungeons. Some of the best games in history are like that. Even so, if you don't like the game or the genre that's an entirely different matter.

I decided that my next character will be a Vampire from the very beginning. It changes the gameplay so much that I am really interested.

I am not a dingbat and I didn't forget about my archer, but I am very interested in creating a vampire focuses on Illusion magic, which is perfect for them, and I find so fun.

I want to become a vampire as soon as I escape Helgen, but I will have to wait until night and wander around until I find a fledging vampire, a weak one, Which I think it will likely happen 1 out of 1000 times out there in the wilderness.

Do you know a way to become a vampire at very, very low level? I mean, like below lvl 2. :smile2:

I know this means playing mainly at night, but anyways, one of my favourite games ever was like that.

I tried becoming a werewolf but the equipment thing and some other details didn't compensate for the bonuses, at least for me.

I am afraid at such a very low level a vampire could kill me easily, but I am thinking about running and never look back once I get hit and contract Porphyric Hemophilia.

Either that or decreasing the difficulty setting to the lowest one and once I get vampirism increase it to Expert -my default difficulty setting- or Master.

I am also curious about what the Companions will do when I join them and let them know I am a vampire and maybe I can't perform their ritual thing.

On a different note, I am a mage and I started exploring the surroundings of Winterhold. It is amazing, the atmosphere of the game is well done, being in the Sea of Ghosts feels like being in Mars. Such a remote place, and really vast.

What seems small becomes large once you get there. You are swimming and then you think; "Look at that islet, I want to go there", Once you reach the small island you notice how huge it is, actually, at least compared with what you thought when you saw it in the distance. It looks like there might be some cool items or places in such a vast and "empty" place, but I will explore more another day.

I preferred to ask my follower -mine is J'Zargo, agreeable and fun- to wait in a safe place because I don't think they can follow you well when swimming between islets.

1. Obtain quest
5. Level UP
7. END of the quest

I guess this kind of game isn't for you, then.

What makes the game better than most is that you don't have to do what you describe. You could say "to hell with the quest" and go do something else.

Let's see Call of Duty try to do something like that.

Jedi2016 said:
Let's see Call of Duty try to do something like that.

That's just being stupid, but there are a plenty of games where u can say "to hell with this quest/mission"

What oblivion however lacked severely was variety in quests (haven't played enough skyrim to make a judgement - gotta figure out what class I want to make :) ). All the quests had one way to solve them and that was it. And the way to do a quest was more or less the same in 99% of the quests with little variety. (sure u depending on if ur a Mage or an assassin or warrior u would go about it slightly differently).

I miss f.ex. Fallout 2. The options given to u in how to finish quests etc was insane compared to what we see in RPGs nowadays. Probably one of the deepest games I've played. It had like 10+ different ways to finish the game.

To give an example of the depth of fallout 2, you could start a character and give him 1 in intelligence. He would be to stupid to talk properly. So you would talk "caveman" English! Me... Food... Need.

Npc would respond to you differently but you could still finish the game

Got this for Xmas and I really like it. However based on what I see here, the game will run more and more terribly on my ps3.. I consider just downloading it for pc so I can play it properly

Got this for Xmas and I really like it. However based on what I see here, the game will run more and more terribly on my ps3.. I consider just downloading it for pc so I can play it properly

Not necessarily, I been playing well over a 100H's now and have just started to hit any slow downs. My save games are around 12Mb. I think it's the luck of the draw with the world being so complex and all. I have to admit I am anally retentive when it comes to tidying things up though. I always put things away and even make neat piles out of dead bodies. Or maybe I have latent psychopathic tendencies that exhibit themselves as obsessive behaviour in open world games.

I wouldn't write it off just like that. Just buy lots of property and store everything in one place. That way the game only has to account for it when you are in that area.

RobertR1 said:
If your PC is good enough, it's a no brainer, get the PC version.

But i already have the ps3 version which i got for xmas. Unless i know for sure that it will become very bad on the ps3, i will continue so i dont have to reroll.

My laptop is powerful enough thought

Of course, if it does get rubbish on your PS3 it's not like you can copy your save across to PC and carry on there. Stupid gamble that people shouldn't have to make. :(

My wife and I have both played 50+ hours on the PS3 version of Skyrim without any real problems, although we've upgraded our PS3 to a 7200rpm drive, which can supposedly make some difference.

There are also some things you can do to lessen the chances you'll run into problems, like doing 30 days worth of resting, 24 hours at a time, in order to allow all the zones to reset their miscellaneous details back to default.

Bethesda has promised some significant improvements to the PS3 version in their next patch, so I imagine by you get to the point of having troubles, there'll be an improved version out to help things along.

My PS3 Version became literally unplayable after about 60 hours. (though it started to get problematic a lot earlier).

I put an SSD in the system, which did help a lot. Didn't solve the problem, though. It merely delayed it.

How far am I in the main quest line?
I just fought Alduin at the mountain top and he flew away

I've put about 70h into it so far, but I have done lot's of sidequests and general wandering around, so I don't know how much there is left to do. I have to decide now to either push through or put this on hold until I get some annoying things done IRL :)

edit: Noticed that the question was answered in the PC section...

Sigfried1977 said:
My PS3 Version became literally unplayable after about 60 hours. (though it started to get problematic a lot earlier).

I put an SSD in the system, which did help a lot. Didn't solve the problem, though. It merely delayed it.

How is the SSD in the PS3 treating you overall? I've been considering looking at putting one in, or possibly one of Seagate(?)'s new 750GB/8GB flash hybrid drives.

Back