Curse.com network down.

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I don't know if any of you peeps visit any of their sites (their network includes lots of wow stuff, like MMO Champion, Wowstead, Wowpedia and others), but also an addon service for several MMOs, forums and the main news aggregation site, Curse.com itself.

If you hit any of those places today you'll be greeted by a notice claiming a serious hardware failure has occurred. Apparantly they're also spreading that impression on Facebook, but since I boycott that place (for reasons obvious to anyone following the actions of that company) I can't tell for sure if that's true or not.

Anyway, it would seem that is not true. THIS hom paeg claims the shutdown is actually due to an intrusion into their user database and the uploading of a malicious flash exploit/payload dropper directly to the curse.com ad network, possibly including the Curse Client addon manager, meaning anyone who either hit any of the sites or uses their addon manager might have spyware with unknown capabilities installed on their systems right now. Expect the usual keylogging stuff, but other types of datamining isn't out of the question, a zombiefying backdoor to a botnet is also likely these days and so on.

Security consciousness is becoming more important than ever, for everyone. Not just users, but anyone running even a somewhat popular website needs to start worrying about it lest they'll be turned into a malware distribution central for a criminal bunch of hackers. This is getting serious in a big way...

According to the admin of MMO Champion, they had a SAN controller completely die, 2 weeks ahead of a scheduled replacement.

EDIT-His quote from twitter:
"So huh yeah we're going to be down for a few hours because a SAN controller exploded. Tech team will be on site soon."

I get spam emails to all of the addresses I use for WoW related sites; elitist jerks, curse, wowpets, wowmounts. I just assume they all have the security designed around swiss cheese and don't use any "real" passwords or email addresses with them.

According to the admin of MMO Champion, they had a SAN controller completely die, 2 weeks ahead of a scheduled replacement.
Yeah, that seems to be the official, damage-control version. As stated in the link in my post, that's not actually true, or at least not the full truth.

[tinfoil]Maybe one of the Curse techs shoved a cat into their SAN controller that caused it to blow up, so they'd have a technical excuse to bring down the site without having to admit they'd been hacked... [/tinfoil]

Yeah, that seems to be the official, damage-control version. As stated in the link in my post, that's not actually true, or at least not the full truth.

[tinfoil]Maybe one of the Curse techs shoved a cat into their SAN controller that caused it to blow up, so they'd have a technical excuse to bring down the site without having to admit they'd been hacked... [/tinfoil]

The thread mentioned in the about.com article is ancient, people have been complaining about them being leaky for ages and they haven't taken the site down over it before.

:LOL:
I have ridiculous software installed on my system that could help them, namely Wanda the Gnome fish and that package that comes with ubuntu :
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/fortunes-bofh-excuses

BOFH excuse #419:

Repeated reboots of the system failed to solve problem

BOFH excuse #247:

Due to Federal Budget problems we have been forced to cut back on the number of users able to access the system at one time. (namely none allowed....)

BOFH excuse #152:

My pony-tail hit the on/off switch on the power strip.

Ugh, well congratulations lulzsec has managed what common sense hasn't for a decade ... I'm going to start using use a sane password management strategy for the web (passwordmaker extension).

In a way they're providing an excellent public service ...

Back