Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I should have explained this better.

What Matt Hargett is claiming is that there are many 4K HDR TVs that only support YCbCr 4:2:0 color format due to their HDMI 2.0 bandwidth limitations and not many that support YCbCr 4:2:2, let alone full RGB 4:4:4 (for HDMI 2.0b TVs this isn't a problem).
My older Hisense TV had this very problem, for example.

The problem with the color format carrying less information is that it theoretically shows colors that are less punchy with less contrast. So if the developers want to make sure that their games have great contrast and they worked a lot on e.g. tone mapping, they should push for the highest bandwidth-per-pixel color format on the TV. And if the HDMI bandwidth isn't enough for 4K60 4:4:4, then it's definitely enough for 4K30 4:4:4. So far this makes sense.

My problem with Matt Hargett's logic is two-fold:

1 - AFAIK color format on consoles isn't defined by each game. It's defined in the console's system settings. The console does a handshake with the TV to see how high the color format can be at the TV's maximum resolution and 60Hz, plus whether or not it supports HDR. The console then always sends a signal at those settings, even if the game is only rendering at 480p. My PS4 Pro is always sending a HDR signal to my TV, whether or not it's running a game that has HDR.
Matt is assuming each game will be able to do a handshake with the TV and redefine the color format on the fly. I don't know if that's possible nor if that's even a good idea.

2 - TVs that only support 4K60 at YCbCr 4:2:0 usually don't have panels that gain much from higher color formats, so there's little reason to force 4K30 YCbCr 4:2:2 or even RGB 4:4:4.

I'm also not a fan of the idea of my TV switching display modes when I transition between activities. These systems promise to have the ability to seamlessly transition between activities. Having wait for a display mode change would be quite jarring. And any TV with QMS support to mitigate this would be modern enough to support 4K60 (or higher) without compressing the chroma.

Clog up the ports first! A lot of that internal space is open for airflow so water ingress will give a false measure.
could use the sand method I suppose, imprint it 1/2 on 1 side, and then 1/2 on the other side. Then fill the cast with some fluid that won't mess with the sand and see how much fluid was poured out. Then again, people are openly destroying new consoles while people wait in line, so perhaps if someone could convince them to do the water method in the name of science would be ideal.

If we want to get super picky, we wouldn't measure the outside volume as the thickness of plastic will influence...

Really, we need to decide what question we're asking. ;) What volume are we interested in? Airspace? That'd be measured by filling the thing up with water and measuring how much fits.

lol I think we're just interested in how much space it will take in your home on your shelf etc.
I don't think it's worthwhile to determine airflow cooling using the volume of box. That might be easier just by looking at the fan rating and heat sink.

Really, we need to decide what question we're asking. ;) What volume are we interested in? Airspace? That'd be measured by filling the thing up with water and measuring how much fits.
Are you people from the 1980s? We've used hydrostatic pressure to determine volume in irregular shapes for some years. This works with both an empty case and a case populated with electronics.

Bloody cavemen! :runaway:

Are you people from the 1980s?

Bloody cavemen! :runaway:
:-|

Yes, I'm a 1980s Caveman.

b6097ee6d6aeec5e60e664a8e66a3e3a.jpg

Because of the sharp edges irregular form the PS5 will collect a lot of dust.
It will collect dust anyway. Look at the size of those intakes.. Unless the fins on the heatsink are wider apart (or at least the same), things will be drawn into the system through those large intakes that cannot be exhausted because they will be trapped on the heatsink.

So where does it pull in air, does it create a vacuum inside, does it teleport air inside?
In the back/base? But we haven't seen those yet. see colon said, "look at those intakes," but the only thing we can see are the ports at the front/top, which, unless he has info otherwise, we don't know if they are intakes or not.

Ok, fed up for the crappy photoshops out there I thought I'd do my own crappy photoshop - except I feel this one is a better representation of the PS5 size;

PS5-size.jpg

I scaled the controller of the XSX with the DS5 (rather than using the disk slot - duh) and you can see the PS5 is a bit taller than the XSX. (Also worth noting the XSX controller is in front of the XSX whereas the DS5 is inline).

Also note the XSX is ~3 controllers high and the PS5 is ~3 1/2 controllers high.

TD:LR - don't believe the other crappy photoshops out there.

Ok, fed up for the crappy photoshops out there I thought I'd do my own crappy photoshop - except I feel this one is a better representation of the PS5 size;

TD:LR - don't believe the other crappy photoshops out there.

Thanks for the laugh and your obvious joke, as the others are vastly more accurate.

Response to design is such a personal thing. For my part i mainly like what Sony has done with the PS through the years. In my eyes:

PS1: Iconic, if quite a bit toyish. Hard to ignore the nostaliafactor though. That gray would be a no-no today. ***1/2

PS2: Brutal, beautiful and small, extra nice on it´s vertical stand which adds to the blue accents. Ergonomically sound. ****1/2

PS3: Praised for it´s quality looks. Quality it has, however, for me, it´s just butt ugly. **

PS4: Clean, simple but elegant. Big designflaw with those buttons, however cleverly incorporated in the design. Impossible to read, bad tactility, my ejectbutton even started to trigger itself so i had to open up the console and disable it. ****

PS5: I totally see how one can really, really dislike this. Sore thumb, big MF. I take the opposite view, LOVE it for it´s bold statement and really dig it´s "I Robot" high-tech looks. *****

PS. And hi all! Many years a lurker, first post. DS.

They want it to stand out. Proudly display your giant white tortilla illuminated from within with blue LED light for the world to see all—the—time!
that might be nice for teenagers but hte average age of gamers keeps going up as the nes generation grows old. I doubt many adult gamers want that in their living rooms and spouses might not want that in thier living rooms either. In all honesty the way it looks would stop me from buying it completely no matter what product it is

Response to design is such a personal thing. For my part i mainly like what Sony has done with the PS through the years. In my eyes:

PS1: Iconic, if quite a bit toyish. Hard to ignore the nostaliafactor though. That gray would be a no-no today. ***1/2

PS2: Brutal, beautiful and small, extra nice on it´s vertical stand which adds to the blue accents. Ergonomically sound. ****1/2

PS3: Praised for it´s quality looks. Quality it has, however, for me, it´s just butt ugly. **

PS4: Clean, simple but elegant. Big designflaw with those buttons, however cleverly incorporated in the design. Impossible to read, bad tactility, my ejectbutton even started to trigger itself so i had to open up the console and disable it. ****

PS5: I totally see how one can really, really dislike this. Sore thumb, big MF. I take the opposite view, LOVE it for it´s bold statement and really dig it´s "I Robot" high-tech looks. *****

PS. And hi all! Many years a lurker, first post. DS.
wow, welcome to the forum

Just all the questions we can think of to ruin more launch units.
Has anyone suggested throwing theirs off a building to measure it's air resistance terminal velocity? I can't buy one before knowing that!

Just all the questions we can think of to ruin more launch units.
Has anyone suggested throwing theirs off a building to measure it's air resistance terminal velocity? I can't buy one before knowing that!
will an egg survive inside of it if dropped from a building ? That's the most important question of every 8th grade science student

I'm more of a form following function type of person. If the design enables good performance and is cost-effective I can get behind it. I'm not completely oblivious to looks, but unless it's really offensive to my sensibilities it's fairly low down the priority list. I can't at all connect with the idea of not buying a PS5 because of how it looks. Different strokes, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back