Crytek Presents: CRYSIS 3 [PS3, 360]

How are they doing the grass? Lots of triangles, or a dedicated grass renderer? A friend was telling about a guy he knows who wrote the power-line code for some race, suggesting my idea way back when of using an alternative line renderer is being implemented. Grass like this seems another good situation for non-mesh rendering with a fancy 2.5D particle renderer. Such an engine could be a good fit for Cell too.

5 minute mark, detaled look at grass tech

It looks quite similar to Farcry 2's grass to me, tall individual blades that move around a lot.
FC2's grass was a sprite. Each "bundle" would rotate to follow the camera. It was incredibly distracting, and one of the things that turned me off of that game. It looked good from a distance, but it was flashbacks to 1999 when you got close. At least FC3 actually has 3D grass.

Far Cry 3's grass looks superb ! How are they doing so much grass on these consoles ! in fact , its the the grass which makes the world look so detailed in FC3.

Obviously Microsoft has a stolen Cell hidden inside Xenon and then there's also the true power of the RSX, of course.

----

I'd reserve judgment until we do see console framerates anyway :p - FC3 may have ten shitloads of grass, but the framerate was pretty mediocre from what I understood.

Speaking of grass, If people remember this one game (know it's technically not so close)

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously Microsoft has a stolen Cell hidden inside Xenon and then there's also the true power of the RSX, of course.

----

I'd reserve judgment until we do see console framerates anyway :p - FC3 may have ten shitloads of grass, but the framerate was pretty mediocre from what I understood.

Actually it seems the grass look kind of crap on console imo. Definitely one of the major differences between FC3 PC and console.

Speaking of grass, If people remember this one game (know it's technically not so close)

Yup, playing it right now and it looks fantastic in its HD remake ! Wonderful job by whoever did it, they increased the foliage a lot and it looks fab ! Loving it.

@shifty: me too was dissappointed to see that it is just instanced polys, i was thinking there's some new way of rendering these grasses FC3 and Crysis3 is showing on consoles. Some new trick or something, but then how are these games rendering so many polygons on theseold consoles?

Well they don't exactly run at a stable Framerate anyways.

Frankly speaking, I am having no problems in FC3 on ps3 even if I set everything on fire and still keep shooting grenades and C4 . The framerate has not even once caused a problem in playability, hence I thought it must not be polys but some newer method as there is so much grass.

Yeah, they keep hyping up the console version as taking up all the juice in the consoles, why won't they show us? the PC version at low is not an example of console specifications bro, not even close.

I really doubt that's 360, and i would dispute the notion that console Crysis 2 was the best looking by far having played through it. That TAA that Crytek used really hurt its visuals(it was Halo Reach level of tarnish), and the framerate dropped down pretty far in many scenes.

Its not a good idea to simply cut out things until a console version can actually run.

Hopefully at the very least, they've taken out the TAA and instead used FXAA or some other equivalent.

The video is much lower quality than some PC footage of the game, but I'm also sceptical that 360 can handle that. I guess we'll know soon enough.

Back