Crysis - A sign of what's to come?

PiNkY

Regular
Am I the only one, who's thinking that crysis is way beyond anything shown for the next gen consoles? I mean watching the videos, the leap is massive, as far as real time footage is regarded... I cannot remember next gen consoles being eclipsed so soon by the pc, two even before their release. Could some of the resident games developers/cgi professionals comment on what (not) impresses them in the amply available footage.

No I seriously disagree. I most defenitly wouldn't say the leap is that far. To me it's almost even with that PS3 Pitfall like game. Again that's my opinion.

PiNkY said:
Am I the only one, who's thinking that crysis is way beyond anything shown for the next gen consoles? I mean watching the videos, the leap is massive, as far as real time footage is regarded... I cannot remember next gen consoles being eclipsed so soon by the pc, two even before their release. Could some of the resident games developers/cgi professionals comment on what (not) impresses them in the amply available footage.

The foliage in crysis is unprecedented. Everything else, is not so great.

My guess:

Consoles will look great, run great.

Crysis will look great, run slow as a dog even on PCs that cost 2x a PS3.

*G*

define pc graphics.

i dont call a dual GF7900GTX in sli on top of a x2@4500 AMD cpu with tons of RAM a normal pc platform.

i wouldnt say crysis dawrfs all nextgen console games. it's certainly in the league as some top quality games such as mgs4, GOW, lair and some others.

Well i would expect it to be quite playable on upper middle class dx10 cpus, an (imaginary) gf8800GT @ 720p . I'd expect dual core cpus to be the norm next year for any sold desktop pc, honestly.

I don't believe developers have even scratched the surface of what the X360 and PS3 are capable of. There's a lot of power in both machines that just takes lots of time and effort to put to good use. That being said, I'm not certain that will actually ever happen. Middleware, multi-platform solutions are just too attractive to publishers. I suspect we might never see either console reach its full potential. But I do think they'll beat Crysis in a couple of years.

Riddlewire said:
I I suspect we might never see either console reach its full potential. But I do think they'll beat Crysis in a couple of years.

In a couple years? I think they are there now.
laugh.gif

mckmas8808 said:
In a couple years? I think they are there now.
laugh.gif
Crysis isn't even out yet. It will get better. And I haven't really seen anything on the consoles yet that is truly jaw-dropping.

Metal Gear Solid and the Hard Rain tech demo are the only two vids that have really impressed me from E3. And Gears of War was looking very sweet as always.

Crysis certainly looks stunning, but i suspect as everyone here, that it would require a huge investment in my PC before i could play it on high settings and running smothly.

Riddlewire said:
I don't believe developers have even scratched the surface of what the X360 and PS3 are capable of. There's a lot of power in both machines that just takes lots of time and effort to put to good use. That being said, I'm not certain that will actually ever happen. Middleware, multi-platform solutions are just too attractive to publishers. I suspect we might never see either console reach its full potential. But I do think they'll beat Crysis in a couple of years.

I think it will be like the xbox/ps2 generation. A few games will shine (like Gods Of War, Halo2, RE4, Ninja Gaiden, Riddick) but for the most part we'll see games based upon cross platform engines. With dev costs going up I suspect that number of gems may decrease.

Grall said:
My guess:

Consoles will look great, run great.

Crysis will look great, run slow as a dog even on PCs that cost 2x a PS3.

*G*

Actually if I spent $1000-$1200 on a PC, it would run quite well. In fact, I would dare say it would run better, look better, and be faster. $1000-$1200 can get you a lot these days. PC prices have gone down quite a bit. What's really amazing are the new processors coming out on the PC market, as well as DX10. They have features and power you just wont see on a console. I am not trying to start a flame war, but this is just the reality of it. Early benchmarks of Intel CPU are eye opening and they are still tweaking performance out of the CPUs. DX10 is a great leap forward for API's, though it won't be fully utilized in the first gen. Crysis is still going to be an amazing DX10 game and with power of the new Intel/AMD CPU, it will run great. I am looking forward to gaming in Vista. Having top notch games like Crysis is just one of those reasons.

It looked like a Far Cry sequel with the expected better graphics. Nothing really revolutionary.

The animation system looked like it had not progressed from the last game.

But those Czech guys do know how to make jungle look good!

The lighting methodology is really good - if you've seen the videos of the player inside the ship with the fires, and then leaving the ship to battle the monster, you'll know what I'm talking about. Of course, there's also the foliage, as mentioned.

The models and texturing however leave much to be desired. If anything, they remind me of the 'plastic-ness' from Far Cry.

The weapon sounds effects left a lot to be desired. And AI doesn't seem to be good...the monstor didn't attack the player even once and the player could fire upon him freely.

Deepak said:
The weapon sounds effects left a lot to be desired. And AI doesn't seem to be good...the monstor didn't attack the player even once and the player could fire upon him freely.

I can't tell about the sound but I doubt the AI is final considering the AI in farcry I doubt they would take a step back

Back