Crysis 2 PC edition OT

How is this anything other than crytek being a bunch of lazy retards? Tesselating flat surfaces with tens of thousands of useless polys that add no detail whatsoever and don't add to the visuals of the scene, water stretching in underneath the entire landscape, no LoDing whatsoever in their algos and so on.
Indeed, I wonder when developers will finally do a proper view and shape dependant tesselationon.
GPU would still need to evaluate lot of the surface, but it wouldn't create buttload of micropolygons on a flat surface facing camera.

Always thought that the tesselation was ugly anywhere except the water. My biggest problem is how it could warp and distort some textures causing crazy shimmering. This looks terrible especially in motion:

tesse5u05.jpg

I wonder if the game actually rasterizes the underground water in addition to generating the tesselated mesh for it, or if the polys get culled before actually reaching that stage.

Persistent underground water was one of the reasons Morrowind ran so god-awful slow on hardware of the day, and while fillrate is a bit more abundant now than it was then, it's still not exactly unlimited (especially when it comes to transparencies that eat copious bandwidth, or pixel shaded pixels that help bog down the shader arrays.)

I wonder if the game actually rasterizes the underground water in addition to generating the tesselated mesh for it, or if the polys get culled before actually reaching that stage.

Persistent underground water was one of the reasons Morrowind ran so god-awful slow on hardware of the day, and while fillrate is a bit more abundant now than it was then, it's still not exactly unlimited (especially when it comes to transparencies that eat copious bandwidth, or pixel shaded pixels that help bog down the shader arrays.)

Yes it is rasterized!
I felt through a rock on Lighthouse map underneath the map and was able to swim everywhere there.

It might not have been rasterized until you fell through the rock and the water became visible...

Were you able to get out from underneath the ground, or were you stuck from then on? Did you try swimming in under the level until you hit the edge of the water? :D

One could look at how the draw calls are ordered...if the underground water gets drawn first then an even bigger whoops is in order.

I am a big fan of Nvidia cards since they have served me well since the 8800 days and before that I had been an ATI fan with the mobility 9800 series. This kind of shit has to come from Nvidia though because this is a way to make most noob gamers go "ZOMG CRYSIS 2 ROXORZ ON TEH NVIDIAZ" that just has to be the answer because I doubt a group like Crytek has such fuckwit developers.

My guess is that the DX11 add-on was handed to more junior staff with a very limited timeframe. More of a trial and error "Press the tessalation button" on various objects and if it still hits "acceptable" performance on their dev machines then it stays in. Obviously they have nVidia cards.

I doubt the top brains at Crytek were behind how poorly done it is, but I think the top brass were responsible for the resources allocated to it. I doubt there was a concerted effort to gimp AMD hardware. At this stage what's in it for Crytek? And if that were the case wouldn't it be better to make the tesselation all the more visually impressive?

My guess is that the DX11 add-on was handed to more junior staff with a very limited timeframe.

My guess is that Crytek staff did little work on it actually, but it's probably never going to be overtly admitted.

Meh. Looks incredibly garish (unless you hate proper art direction and abhor any sort of subtlety that is) The night time levels are dark for a reason.

I am a big fan of Nvidia cards since they have served me well since the 8800 days and before that I had been an ATI fan with the mobility 9800 series. This kind of shit has to come from Nvidia though because this is a way to make most noob gamers go "ZOMG CRYSIS 2 ROXORZ ON TEH NVIDIAZ" that just has to be the answer because I doubt a group like Crytek has such fuckwit developers.

Considering it will gimp any Nvidia GPU that is not the GF100/GF110, I highly doubt Nvidia had anything to do with this...

Considering it will gimp any Nvidia GPU that is not the GF100/GF110, I highly doubt Nvidia had anything to do with this...

Except the fact that unless you do the research, the common person who sees benchmarks on their high end cards would probably assume that they'd get the same performance differential in their lower end products.

It might not have been rasterized until you fell through the rock and the water became visible...

Were you able to get out from underneath the ground, or were you stuck from then on? Did you try swimming in under the level until you hit the edge of the water? :D

I realized that after posting from my handheld :oops:.

Anyway yes, I got stuck there not able to fire at enemies which I could see. Eventually I figured I need to die to get back so I dived to the edge of map where Ceph gunships spawn and it was enough to get me killed.

On a side note do anyone know why after patch 1.9 random wood or rock pieces are falling from sky in MP? Is that another method to add extra unnecessary geometry load for GPU's?

My guess is that the DX11 add-on was handed to more junior staff with a very limited timeframe. More of a trial and error "Press the tessalation button" on various objects and if it still hits "acceptable" performance on their dev machines then it stays in. Obviously they have nVidia cards.

I doubt the top brains at Crytek were behind how poorly done it is, but I think the top brass were responsible for the resources allocated to it. I doubt there was a concerted effort to gimp AMD hardware. At this stage what's in it for Crytek? And if that were the case wouldn't it be better to make the tesselation all the more visually impressive?

Yeah this makes sense. It's a free upgrade so they spent very little resources on it.

I'll bet all the graphics settings above "Gamer" (console) level are similarly efficicient. Just look at how they destry performance for relatively little visual gain.

On a side note do anyone know why after patch 1.9 random wood or rock pieces are falling from sky in MP? Is that another method to add extra unnecessary geometry load for GPU's?

Heh, nice one. A bit too long for a forum signature though. :LOL:

Ok I'm behind the times, but these are my impressions of C2. ;)

-Makes me think of Half Life 2 and Gears of War. The linear corridor shooter gameplay with the silent player character in the futuristic setting with aliens (HL2), meeting in-game characters and watching them go about a little narrative scene (HL2), the parts where you are forced to walk slow while some guy talks at you (GOW). The macho energy in videos, music and voices (GOW).
-Stealth again works well. You can almost play pacifist if you want.
-It's cheesy. Super near-future nanosuit can defeat space-faring alien bio tech. Makes me think of Battle for LA and Independence Day. Crytek goes on and on about how amazing the suit is in this game.
-Story is not well told and I'm unsure what the point is at times. Why on earth do I have to slaughter humans when there is an alien invasion going on and people on the street are melting? Let's make up and be friends already! lol
-The changes to how the suit works are great. It's much more natural than in Crysis/Warhead.

The play areas may be smaller than the older Crysis games but in some parts of the game it's not by much. Let's face facts though - Crysis and Warhead had larger playgrounds but they always led to chokepoints to end the level and tell more story. After two games of jungle (ignoring Far Cry), I'm not angry about a city-based game.

It's very pretty but my god does DX11 Ultra object detail kill my unlocked Radeon 6950. Dropping that one setting to Extreme must triple frame rate in some areas. I went up to a brick wall and it dropped to about 5 fps until I switched that to Extreme and then it was probably 30fps! The lighting in particular and how surfaces work with it is great I think. The wavy water is neat but super fakey in its behavior. Tropical areas are inherently more eye pleasing than a city but this is a very well rendered one. Does this use MLAA or FXAA? There is definitely some anti-aliasing going on and it has a softened look overall.

I actually think it's an ok game but that Crytek doesn't tell stories very well. It wasn't a real strength to any of their other games either.

Back