CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

According to an article that I saw yesterday on BBC.com "Why China's bitcoin miners are moving to Texas":

I don't know why it's a good thing to compensate bitcoin farms when the power grid has issues. I have not heard of other business that were compensated to stay offline. Were they any?

I don't know why Texas is proud to have bitcoin farms. What do bitcoin farms offer Texas? Other than some construction money, bitcoin farms aren't offering a significant amount of jobs.

It's a good thing they aren't going to California as they have power blackouts and they don't even need a deadly snowstorm to trigger them, just hot summer weather. :p But where TX power outages were due to deregulation, CA outages are due to regulations that prohibit many forms of power generation and they would rather spend money on social programs than on their electrical grid. You'd think they'd learn, but it's a recurring problem there for the past 10+ years.

So after their push to be carbon neutral for power generation while also shutting down all their Nuclear power stations while also starting to decommission some of their Hydro-electric dams, they are now in a situation where they have to build new carbon emitting gas power stations to replace the cleaner nuclear power stations and decommissioned hydro plants (this problem is made worse by the current drought reducing the effectiveness of the remaining hydro plants).

Good thing most people in CA still won't use electric vehicles or the problems there would be catastrophic. :p

The 2 most populus states in the US with power issues. But at least TX doesn't have power issues AND expensive power. :p Although, it'll be interesting to see what happens with all the bitcoin miners going to TX. If I were to guess, new power plants to to provide power to bitcoin miners.

It'd also help if people weren't such weenies. I don't even turn on my air conditioner until the temperature in my house is above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (~37.8 celcius) and then I set it to 85 degrees only for the room I'm in (instead of the entire house like most people).

Am I bitter? Yes, my state helps subsidize the irresponsible power policies in CA by selling electricity to CA which in turns makes MY electricity more expensive. /sigh. So, I don't even live in CA anymore but their policies are still impacting the price I pay for electricity.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I don't even turn on my air conditioner until the temperature in my house is above 100 degrees Fahrenheit (~37.8 celcius) and then I set it to 85 degrees only for the room I'm in (instead of the entire house like most people).
You what?? That's air temperature inside the rooms?! I can't even function nor sleep if the room is above 28ºC.

Dude, you're probably harming your body withstanding that temperature for that long:

https://www.nib.com.au/the-checkup/...test-temperature-the-human-body-can-cope-with

nib_-_Body_temperature_table.png

I figure you might as well enjoy life, so take advantage of climate control the same way you take advantage of walls, ceilings, modern plumbing, refrigeration, and electricity.

That consumes even more power. Hardly justifiable without its own solar supply.

You what?? That's air temperature inside the rooms?! I can't even function nor sleep if the room is above 28ºC.

Dude, you're probably harming your body withstanding that temperature for that long:

https://www.nib.com.au/the-checkup/...test-temperature-the-human-body-can-cope-with

nib_-_Body_temperature_table.png

Man, I wonder how humans used to survive before there was air conditioning or even electricity. :p

As long as there is a breeze of any kind then that temp isn't all that hot. The key is to make sure you stay hydrated. When it gets above 100 degrees F, I set the AC to 85 since there's no breeze if I close the windows. It also helps to keep the humidity down with the windows closed. I could go without AC at higher temps than that, but above 100 is where it starts to get somewhat uncomfortable.

Yes, a few years back when I used to rely overly much on A/C, I used to have it set at 72 degrees F and sometimes I still felt that was too hot. But I though back to when I was a kid/teenager and I was perfectly fine with MUCH higher temperatures than that in Nevada, Taiwan, Japan and Hawai'i. The last 3 are so much hotter because of the high humidity compared to Nevada. So anyway, I spent a year reconditioning myself to be comfortable in higher temps. And now temps in the 80's feel cool and refreshing. 90-100 feels warm and over 100 feels hot and uncomfortable.

If it's time to sleep I'll ensure that the temp is around 83-85 degrees F since it's easier to sleep when it's cool. :) Now, similar to my relatives in Hawai'i, temps below 70 start to feel cold and I'll put on a nice warm jacket like I did while growing up without A/C.

So, even though this year had the hottest temperatures during a 4-6 week stretch than in the history of recorded temps in this area, I still only used the A/C maybe 7 days total, and most of that was because of the unhealthy air quality on certain days due to wildfires hundreds of miles away.

And because of that my electricity bill is much lower now.

Regards,
SB

I thought the whole point of going to work and getting paid is so you can afford shelter from the elements and not suffer in the woods like an animal.

Man, if suffering in the woods like an animal means having OLED TVs, gaming machines, a nice bed with sheets and blankets and everything, a refrigerator, etc. Then yeah, I'm really suffering. :p

I don't see anyone suffering here except the people who seem to be outraged that I'm not wasting electricity on things I don't need to waste it on?

I guess I must be living like an animal because I use the stairs instead of wasting electricity on an elevator if I don't need to use the elevator (like to move heavy things between floors)? I guess if living like an animal means I'm in better physical shape because I'm incorporating more physical activity into my daily life, then hell yeah I'll live like an animal. :D

I mean it's not like I'm telling other people to do this. They can do whatever they want to do. But I'm doing this because I want to do this and because there is zero hardship involved. I use AC when it actually gets uncomfortable. I don't see why I would need to use it when I don't need to use it. Doing so is just wasting money for no benefit ... for me. If other's find benefit in cooling their living domiciles down to 72 degrees F or lower, then by all means do so.

I do find it amusing whenever I go to one of my friend's place who has their thermostat set to that temperature, that I then see the wife bundled up in blankets in the living room while watching TV or reading. :p Meanwhile my friend is dressed warmly in flannel long sleeve shirts and sweat pants. :D So basically they crank down the temperature so they can comfortable wear warm clothes and use blankets. :D

Well, I guess one unfortunate consequence for me is that going into a supermarket or store is uncomfortably cold now. But that's easily solved by just bringing a jacket along when I go shopping. :p But hey, that's what animals in the woods do anyway, right? ;)

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
does online stores in your place properly labels nvidia RTX LHR as LHR?

in my place its a confusing mess, for example
* no LHR sticker on product/box images
* LHR mentioned in product description

despite nvidia mandates LHR to have LHR text on the box

Haven't they done that multiple times already, like well over a dozen times?

Haven't they done that multiple times already, like well over a dozen times?
They were making both mining and crypto based transactions progressively more and more forbidden inside China but this is the first time when all of them became outright illegal.

Looks like they accelerated their plans to criminalize crypto due to the impending Yuan crash that Evergrande is bringing.

I guess the crash will be less severe if their citizens aren't mass trading Yuan for crypto that supposedly aren't affected by inflation.

Back