CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

PayPal enables cryptocurrency trading for UK account holders
PayPal has announced that its UK customers will be able to use their accounts to buy, hold and sell cryptocurrencies. The new level of service for UK dwellers will begin to roll out this week, and it is the first such expansion for PayPal after debuting the same level of service in the US last October.
724e36aa-fd7b-4fbc-a240-3f7a1a969127.jpg

is it okay to post this here?

anyone have mined helium coin with a hotspot? am i getting this right?

1. the things that can enjoy the hotspots are niche IoT devices with LoRa wireless capability (i though it could help normal wifi coverage too, so i can help schools etc for internet, but nope, its only lora)
2. regulations for the frequency ranges varies between regions because it use similar frequency with cell phones
3. its basically useless for mining when you are in a place where nobody else have the helium hotspot and noone use LoRa IoT devices

CMP 170HX, NVIDIA’s own mining card
Most CMP (CryptoMining Processor) cards were based on board partners’ design, but CMP 170HX is an exception. New photos featuring the design have been shared on Zhihu by Codefordl.

NVIDIA CMP 170HX has 4480 CUDA cores, which is only 54% of all cores present in the GA100 silicon. For comparison, the GA100 in A100 features 6912 CUDA cores which are 84% of active cores. In terms of memory size, the CMP 170HX has a massive reduction as well. Instead of 40GB or 80GB present in various A100 models, the 170HX only offers 8GB HBM2e memory, supposedly in four stacks (judging from the 4096-bit bus), and a maximum bandwidth of 1.493 GB/s.

NVIDIA CMP 170HX cryptomining card spotted, passive design offering 164 MH/s hash rate

Why China's bitcoin miners are moving to Texas - BBC News
China's ban on cryptocurrency mining has forced bitcoin entrepreneurs to flee overseas. Many are heading to Texas, which is quickly becoming the next global cryptocurrency capital.
Many Chinese bitcoin companies have looked to Texas for stability and opportunity. Shenzhen-based firm BIT Mining has planned to invest $26 million to build a data centre in the state, while Beijing-based Bitmain is expanding its facility in Rockdale, Texas. This small town with around 5,600 residents once housed one of the world's largest aluminium plants, and now it's emerging as the next global hub for bitcoin mining.
Texas has some of the cheapest energy prices in the world, due to its deregulated power grid. Consumers enjoy more choices of electricity providers, which encourage providers to lower prices to stay competitive. During peaks of electricity demand, bitcoin farms can even sell unused power back to the grid.

Although El Salvador is set to become the first country to adopt bitcoin as a national currency, bitcoin miners prefer the US because of its well-developed electrical infrastructure, says Mr De La Torre.

But some analysts warn that the "Great Mining Migration" may lead to serious repercussions, as cities and towns struggle to meet the huge energy appetite.
The increased scrutiny of Chinese companies in America may also lead to more attention on these mining newcomers. Texas recently passed a law that prevents "hostile foreign actors" from accessing critical infrastructure, including its power grid. The new law was reportedly prompted by a Chinese billionaire's plan to build a wind farm in southwest Texas. Critics allege that the project could be used to hack into the Texas energy grid and to gather intelligence from a nearby US military base.

Last edited:
Everyone (crypto companies, not people here) forgetting this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Texas_power_crisis

According to an article that I saw yesterday on BBC.com "Why China's bitcoin miners are moving to Texas":

In February, blackouts following a deadly snowstorm left millions of homes and businesses in Texas without power for days. More than 200 people died. During the power outage, bitcoin farms were compensated to stay offline.

I don't know why it's a good thing to compensate bitcoin farms when the power grid has issues. I have not heard of other business that were compensated to stay offline. Were they any?

I don't know why Texas is proud to have bitcoin farms. What do bitcoin farms offer Texas? Other than some construction money, bitcoin farms aren't offering a significant amount of jobs.

Aren't the very large mining operations buying old, unprofitable power stations to generate their own power?

Back