CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

b9-b.jpg

NVIDIA's TITAN V Volta GPU Ethereum Mining Beast Rips 77MH/s While Overclocked
That just leaves one question to answer—how well does it mine cryptocurrency? Pretty darn good, as it turns out. As in, almost double the mining performance (of Ethereum) of an AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 graphics card.

Here's a look at how the TITAN V performed with some other types of cryptocurrencies:
Zcash: 750 SOL / 221W (877 SOL / 244W while overclocked)
Monero: 1,224 H/s / 157W (1,417 Hs, 165W while overclocked)
LBRY Credit: 685 MH/s / 241W
Vertcoin: 88.7 MH/s / 246W (100.3 MH/s / 259W while overclocked)

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidias-titan-v-volta-gpu-ethereum-mining-beast-77mhs-overclocked

Last edited by a moderator:
I can afford buying even Liquid Vega for mining, due to its a mazing XMR hashrate and passable ETH one. But this..

Umbelievable the efficiency this Titan V may have in mining, it's just academical. Only for the purest eco-miner, if this exists. Or for reviewers to put their samples to some work (and thus get their much needed support. Remove those adds already ! ;) ).

I doubt as well that a desktop Volta will be favored by miners, because it will likely be paired with other memory types, which will definetly hurt ETH & XMR. But i'd like to be proven wrong. Cuda & HBM is the winning combo, and until now no consumer product has ever featured it

Last edited:
77 MH high?
Can't 3x1070 mine 90 MH/s ? And cost a fraction of the amount? I guess it's per card basis yes.. I suppose for a commercial miner, Titan V is desirable.

No, why should be Titan V desirable and what is a comercial miner?
Its merits are just that the hashrate is achieved with signifcantly lower energy consumption compared to the 3 GTX 1070

No, why should be Titan V desirable and what is a comercial miner?
Its merits are just that the hashrate is achieved with signifcantly lower energy consumption compared to the 3 GTX 1070
I guess someone who is dedicated to mining (ie, 10K MH/s range) investing a large amount of capital (millions USD) for the sake of large profits.

This is a significant cost reduction in electricity when you're mining with that much gear. Theoretically mine with 66% less real estate, and significantly less power.

I guess someone who is dedicated to mining (ie, 10K MH/s range) investing a large amount of capital (millions USD) for the sake of large profits.

This is a significant cost reduction in electricity when you're mining with that much gear. Theoretically mine with 66% less real estate, and significantly less power.

It really doesn't compare that favorably to a 1080ti when price is factored in. Electricity can be expensive, but not *that* expensive. And then consider that there will almost certainly be a consumer product incorporating these efficiency improvements (Volta or not) in a few months and these seem like a pretty bad option.

It really doesn't compare that favorably to a 1080ti when price is factored in. Electricity can be expensive, but not *that* expensive. And then consider that there will almost certainly be a consumer product incorporating these efficiency improvements (Volta or not) in a few months and these seem like a pretty bad option.
good add

My impression is rather that most big mining farms instead count on cheap electricity and electricty deals and go for gzilions of cheapo cards such as 1060 GTX and RX 470. But I have no numbers , i can only speculate

hmm... i'd imagine that you'd want to reduce operating expenses as much as possible.
Eventually you run out of capital and you are forced to sell the very coins you mine. But selling them means transaction fees and selling them for below the targeted value.

That being said anything that would delay that, or reduce it would be ideal. In particular, reducing the real-estate, energy costs, and administration costs will go a long way in keeping your miners on for longer before needing to sell.

As with any business, a sign of a good healthy business are healthy margins. Anything that would improve that would likely be ideal imo.

Here's a look at how the TITAN V performed with some other types of cryptocurrencies:

Monero: 1,224 H/s / 157W (1,417 Hs, 165W while overclocked)

My current Vega 56 (flashed with the 64 bios) clock locked at 1057 MHz and memory at 1025 MHz does 1900 H/s for Monero at about 100 watts.

I picked up a pair of them when the 1070 Ti was released for $399 each.

^^
Maybe vega's outstanding performance in CryptoNight algo is due to the HBM (if not, what else would be the reason? i'm struggling past 800 h/s with Rx580, so it isn't anything AMD specific). In time, in that case, we could see the Titan V catching up

Eventually you run out of capital and you are forced to sell the very coins you mine. But selling them means transaction fees and selling them for below the targeted value.

That being said anything that would delay that, or reduce it would be ideal. In particular, reducing the real-estate, energy costs, and administration costs will go a long way in keeping your miners on for longer before needing to sell.

AFAIK, and quite contrarly to what you wrote they would sell a significant on a daily basis, covering operating costs and collecting a piece of profit. Not saying they sell everything, i wouln't know

It's risky to wait for price increases that may never come, especially since you put hundreds of Ks $ into hardware. I can attest to that a bit having put > 5k $ into mining hardware; you do feel some pressure swimming in just digital currency only

I saw somewhere an interview with a guy working for such a mining company (sadly couldn't find it briefly) and he emphasized on how time before ROI is important and they plan their hardware purchases according to coin prices, and considering that time. A discussion that includes, oximoronically, both time to ROI and Titan V seems alien to me, hence my posts.

Last edited:
^^
Maybe vega's outstanding performance in CryptoNight algo is due to the HBM (if not, what else would be the reason? i'm struggling past 800 h/s with Rx580, so it isn't anything AMD specific). In time, in that case, we could see the Titan V catching up

AFAIK, and quite contrarly to what you wrote they would sell a significant on a daily basis, covering operating costs and collecting a piece of profit. Not saying they sell everything, i wouln't know

It's risky to wait for price increases that may never come, especially since you put hundreds of Ks $ into hardware. I can attest to that a bit having put > 5k $ into mining hardware; you do feel some pressure swimming in just digital currency only

I saw somewhere an interview with a guy working for such a mining company (sadly couldn't find it briefly) and he emphasized on how time before ROI is important and they plan their hardware purchases according to coin prices, and considering that time. A discussion that includes, oximoronically, both time to ROI and Titan V seems alien to me, hence my posts.
hmm I might have it totally wrong. I would assume they wanted to ride it lol. I'm watching the #1 wallet right now on nanopool => https://eth.nanopool.org/account/0x39d27d66c14f7372553b1ba59833c6ba8981a76a
1,846,001.6 Mh/s with 16000 workers between 90-120 MH/s

I've calculated his hardware to be in the multimillions dollar setups I think. That's where I was like.. hmmm... what would they focus on. But I guess you're right. It might be too risky to wait for it to keep going up, so spend that coin asap.

^^
Maybe vega's outstanding performance in CryptoNight algo is due to the HBM (if not, what else would be the reason? i'm struggling past 800 h/s with Rx580, so it isn't anything AMD specific).
Fiji does perform good in Cryptonight, but not stellar. Note though, that it's basically Cast XMR in conjunction with the blockchain beta driver that enables this kind of output.

Last edited:
77 MH/s is about $8/day so it pays for itself - assuming your electricity is free - in a year. So I could buy 8 of them for only $24k and I'd be making $64/day!

But do I really want that gamble? Nope.

Fiji does perform good in Cryptonight, but not stellar. Note though, that it's basically Cast XMR in conjunction with the blockchain beta driver that enables this kind of output.

Yes I forgot to mention I am using cast_xmr-vega with the blockchain beta driver. If I has known at the time of purchase how profitable my two Vega 56's were to become I would have purchase six more.

Nowhere to currently buy Vega 56's except eBay and those prices are really inflated.

http://www.nowinstock.net/computers/videocards/amd/rxvega56

NVIDIA Titan V Ethereum Mining Blows Past 82MH/s While Overclocked On Our Test Bench
Using Claymore Miner (v10.2), we were able to hit 69.06 MH/s at default speeds, far outpacing what's possible with the current standard-bearer from AMD and the previous generation Pascal-based TITAN Xp. The Radeon RX Vega 64 was well behind with a 37.72 MH/s rate, while the TITAN Xp was virtually tied at 37.45.

However, when we cranked up the GPU and memory clocks, we saw a significant boost in performance, with a hash rate of 82.067 MH/s.
https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-v-volta-ethereum

NVIDIA Titan V Ethereum Mining Blows Past 82MH/s While Overclocked On Our Test Bench

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-titan-v-volta-ethereum
I thought that Ethereum was almost completely memory bound? If Vega 64 and Titan V are using the same kind of HBM2 memories, running at roughly the same clock speeds, you'd then expect the Titan V to be roughly 50% faster than Vega 64, but non-overclocked it's 83%. That's really surprising, isn't it?

But I'm also really surprised by the Titan Xp Ethereum hash rate being equal to Vega 64 as well: Vega 64 has a theoretical higher BW and HBM2 should be more efficient than GDDR5X (which is notoriously bad for Ethereum for some reason.)

Maybe there is something wrong with the Vega 64 memory system after all?

Are those hothardware numbers in line with expectations?

Some people reported 1900+ hashrates on Vega with the STACK miner as well. Unfortunatelly, I've failed to replicate them for now, though : http://vega.miningguides.com/p/castxmr-vs-xmrstak.html

I thought that Ethereum was almost completely memory bound? If Vega 64 and Titan V are using the same kind of HBM2 memories, running at roughly the same clock speeds, you'd then expect the Titan V to be roughly 50% faster than Vega 64, but non-overclocked it's 83%. That's really surprising, isn't it?

But I'm also really surprised by the Titan Xp Ethereum hash rate being equal to Vega 64 as well: Vega 64 has a theoretical higher BW and HBM2 should be more efficient than GDDR5X (which is notoriously bad for Ethereum for some reason.)

Maybe there is something wrong with the Vega 64 memory system after all?

Are those hothardware numbers in line with expectations?

Good points, it would be interesting to get some answers
Maybe memory latencies also come in to play?

Another, more pedestrian, data point would be Polaris vs GTX 1070.
You just plug the 1070 into your pci-e slot, overcklock ram to the moon and back, and start the miner. You get 30 - 32.5 mh/s

For Polaris (rx 470 and up), doing the same yields 27ish mh/s only. You further want to find out the exact memory part used, and then flash the card's bios with new timings. There are people on the web who can tell you for each part what clocks it can reach, and what are the best timings to set ( there is a simpler rule though which mostly works, to just copy the timings used for lower frequencies to the higher ones as well)
So with new timings + compute mode + memory overcklocks you finally get 29-32 mhs.
You do get something extra with Polaris though, (superior) dual-mining. It can mine in paralel a second coin way better, at up to 80% the hashrate it would get if it were mining only the second coin. Maybe its superior compute capablities that shine through at this stage, or maybe it's the work of the mining software developers (they claim mining and dual mining uses assembly for AMD)

Back