CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Bitcoin Mining Now Consuming More Electricity Than 159 Countries
That’s the equivalent of 0.13% of total global electricity consumption. While that may not sound like a lot, it means Bitcoin mining is now using more electricity than 159 individual countries (as you can see from the map above). More than Ireland or Nigeria. If Bitcoin miners were a country they’d rank 61st in the world in terms of electricity consumption.
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/bi...ming-more-electricity-than-159-countries.html

So, if anyone cares, turns out a single Vega reaches 2000 h/s in CryptoNote algo and does that with decent energy usage (looks like sub 200W).

Today, if you mine XMR that yields you 6.3$ worth of coins each day. But if you mine ETN that's 11$. (1080 Ti yields 4.7$/day with its most profitable coin today , for comparison)

This is June-level ROI right here. It didn't last more than a month back then, don't really expect it'd be better this time around.

The inevitable dilemma is how soon you get reasonable ETN and when/whether to convert it to another coin or fiat currency. The volatility of exchange rates and what not.

Especially now, with the volatility of BTC which is unavoidable ofc if one wants to cash out.

It's just one algorithm , but I found it impressive how my two Vegas have the equivalent hashpower of a rig of 8 1070s or a rig of 6 580s in it

LE : But actually a great deal of this performance disparity could very well be attributed to the mining software which has different levels of maturity and optimizations for the different vendors and architectures.

Last edited:
They need to introduce lootboxes for bitcoin mining. Instead of earning the reward for completing the work they earn a lootbox with a tiny chance of the full reward but more times than not its a virtual pet or virtual flare.

They need to introduce lootboxes for bitcoin mining. Instead of earning the reward for completing the work they earn a lootbox with a tiny chance of the full reward but more times than not its a virtual pet or virtual flare.

1 unit of "random generated coin-name". If someone establishes a coin with this name, you're in!

ETM doesn't even come up on whattomine...what exchanges is it on?

It's back now. The network is a bit weird and quite unstable. Whattomine re-listed the coin but decreased the rewards by 30% (haven't a clue why or how he comed up with the formula). Still the most profitable thing to mine with anything AMD, though

today is a good day for DIY mining.. apparently Nicehash lost all their BTCs and the service is down => dificulties are also down

Last edited:
Holy cow! Nicehash lost all their Btc? I had a tiny bit there. Really don't care for nicehash as they have an absurdly high payout threshold if you don't use their wallets. Also their broken temp control dorked two of my 1070s; I can only get them to 22 MH/s now (ETH). They used to do 31 like my others.

Serves me right for just firing up Nicehash and then going to dinner. Normally my 1070s stay under 62C but they were cooking when I returned. Nicehash somehow overrode After Burner's fan profile with their beta fan control.

Also their broken temp control dorked two of my 1070s; I can only get them to 22 MH/s now (ETH). They used to do 31 like my others.
Ugh. UGH! Sorry to hear that, man. :(

You'd think there would be sufficient hardware protection for overheating/fan failure by now (even though it is software fail this time rather than the hardware itself.) Especially for Nvidia I could say, seeing as they've put out at least two different driver releases in the past that effed up fan control and fried peoples' GPUs.

Me, I'm staying away from coin mining. To me it represent all of the very worst aspects of rampant opportunistic capitalism, pump-and-dump, as well as at minimum borderline Ponzi scheme. Add to that, gaming GPU prices rising and the cybercrime attracted to this hive of scum and villainy... :p

Meh, at least the GPUs are paid for now. I really needed a computer project so mining was a great outlet. I don't do the constant watching coins and switching what I mine, etc. I just set it to ETH and forget it. I actually can RMA both cards (one even has an extended warranty as I didn't trust the sleeve bearing fans to hold up), but that seems a bit much hassle for a paid-for card that still does 22 MH/s.

I actually was going to replace one with an RX Vega but they're back to being out-of-stock and way over MSRP so nah.

Holy cow! Nicehash lost all their Btc? I had a tiny bit there. Really don't care for nicehash as they have an absurdly high payout threshold if you don't use their wallets. Also their broken temp control dorked two of my 1070s; I can only get them to 22 MH/s now (ETH). They used to do 31 like my others.

Serves me right for just firing up Nicehash and then going to dinner. Normally my 1070s stay under 62C but they were cooking when I returned. Nicehash somehow overrode After Burner's fan profile with their beta fan control.

I got caught by this too. Fortunately I had just cashed out to buy some hardware, so only lost a couple of weeks. I'm more annoyed that I lost out on the appreciation of those Bitcoins over the last couple of days than the loss itself.

Back