CRT monitors and Vista

Mat3

Newcomer
Hi,
Someone told me Vista won't work with CRT monitors. I find it hard to believe, but I haven't been able to find any definitive answer either way. I plan to buy a new computer soon, but I already have a 19 inch regular monitor that probably still has a couple years in it, and I'm not sure if I should get a new LCD, which might be cheaper if I buy it bundled with a new computer, or keep what I've got for now. I'll be upgrading to the Vista sometime next year.

Anyone know for sure if Vista works with CRTs?

Vista will definitely work with CRTs. What they probably meant was that some content will be encrypted and will only be displayed at full resolution if you have a monitor that supports it and is able to decrypt it. Maybe someone else will be able to explain it more comprehensively.

The idea that Vista would not be able to work with CRTs is pure wrongness. There will be cases however that you will need a display that supports DRM encryption methods in order to play back certain media at full resolution. That however is independent of display technologies. Not all LCDs will support it, etc. The display would need to support HDMI to play back said media at full resolution.

It`s about HDCP...under certain configurations, if you`ve got HDCP and ICT content, and try to play it back through a HDMI connection without HDCP, or through VGA, DVI, it simply won`t play. But that only means you won`t be able to see some movies, Vista will most definetly work with CRTs...the opposite would be very dumb, wouldn`t you agree?:)

This strikes me as pretty dumb by all involved. I can see the, er, "demo" versions of games and films (with this DRM striped out) reaching new heights due to this. Its one thing to charge someone £15 for a film, but to make them spend at least another £200 to replace a perfectly working monitor is rediculous, AND then have to buy a new gfx card.

As is usually the case, someone will find a way to strip the DRM out of either the films/games or make a Vista-lite. Either way, the people who force this on "us" (MS, the film bodies) will ultimately be the losers, as even more people than before are "forced" to find ways around spend more of their hard earned.

MS, at least IMO, is hardly the one to blame here. They really had no choice in this. They either did it or face major complications from the flim companies.

It`s about HDCP...under certain configurations, if you`ve got HDCP and ICT content, and try to play it back through a HDMI connection without HDCP, or through VGA, DVI, it simply won`t play. But that only means you won`t be able to see some movies, Vista will most definetly work with CRTs...the opposite would be very dumb, wouldn`t you agree?:)

I thought it would play but only in SD resolutions or something like that

I'm not going to worry to much about it, by the time I get some type of HD video drive in my PC there will probably be a work around of some sort, or I would have upgraded and bought compatible parts anyway

I thought it would play but only in SD resolutions or something like that

It`ll play in SD under certain conditions, but it depends on how the disk is protected. Firingsquad had a very nice table with the possible combinations and outcomes, sadly I can`t remember the link to the article:|

Last edited by a moderator:
Back