Crossfire benchmarked, X700 and X300 too, apparently

Rys

Graphics @ AMD
Veteran
Supporter
Hmm :!:

Apologies if it's been posted elsewhere. Crossfire without a master board? Hmmmmm!

It's damn funny with people bragging about the leetness of their score but they don't notice that every-other-frame is missing.. I wonder if they got confused why it only worked in alternate frame mode..

hehe :idea:

vember said:
It's damn funny with people bragging about the leetness of their score but they don't notice that every-other-frame is missing.. I wonder if they got confused why it only worked in alternate frame mode..

Huh ... :rolleyes:

Hellbinder said:

When there's no compositing chip, the 'master' board only outputs its own frame and you're stuck with AFR mode.

So output is like this:

Frame from board 1 - displayed
Frame from board 2 - not displayed, 'master' can't output it

and so on. I think :LOL:

Rys said:
When there's no compositing chip, the 'master' board only outputs its own frame and you're stuck with AFR mode.

Unless ATI just put it there to increase production costs. :)

Are those green wires on this page standard or did they mod the card?

It's probably a pre-release board, I guess.

Rys said:
Hellbinder said:

Even then, at those framerates, I guess you wouldn't see the frame interlacing

Rys said:

So output is like this:

and so on. I think :LOL:

Yeah, who's the idiot who created this thread?? Oh, wait. . .Rys, you tease! ;) Actually, I think we did cover this general topic in a thread somewhere around here shortly after Computex.

vember said:

Are you sure the board they're using doesn't have the compositing engine on it? Remember the demos that showed two slave cards working together?

ANova said:
Are you sure the board they're using doesn't have the compositing engine on it? Remember the demos that showed two slave cards working together?
Yeah, didn't those two turn out to not be rendering every other frame either?

If I'm interpreting Babelfish correctly, I think they do know of the problem above. . .but what they are really after is that it doesn't affect the benchies results (they assert, and demonstrate to their own satisfaction anyway). . .so you can do their bios futz and benchmark CrossFire to your hearts content, even without a master card. AFR anyway.

It's a little less clear to me what they did on the X700, but some BIOS trick as well, I think.

What they did is just crack the driver, remove the device id recognition.
So the driver will run crossfire on all ati cards.

The test is lame IMO.
They didn't get correct rendering in all their tests but they bragged about the numbers :rolleyes:
Numbers means nothing if you get incorrect rendering.

HKEPC doesn't let me down this time, they proven they are the n00b hardware site once again.lol

Looks like the X850 ran up against the cpu bottleneck on 2001, I wonder what the cpu overhead is for Crossfire v nvidia SLi ? This might be worth investigating Rys, see which uses less cpu, as cpu limitations are starting to come to the fore more with these new video cards, might be worth looking into.

When's your Fx-59, 61, 63 thing coming out as well ? That with two 7800GTX's Sli'd would be interesting.

Yeh cpu performance is a big issue what with nV announicing iirc multithreaded drivers. Would be interesting to see how they work on a HT processor too and compare with ati drivers.

ohh: just noticed g_day's thread.

Back