Crocodile saved a man?

Druga Runda

Sleepy Substitute
Regular
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_1241806.html

'Croc saved me from tsunami'

A Sri Lankan pensioner claims he was saved from the tsunami by a crocodile which nudged him back to shore.

Upali Gunasekera says the estuarine crocodile was one which regularly visited the garden of his house in Matara.

Mr Gunasekera was strolling in the garden, which overlooks a river and the sea, when the tsunami struck and was washed away.

He clutched a floating stool with one hand and a chair with the other and managed to stay afloat until a wave knocked them from his grip.

That was when he saw what he thought was a log moving towards him and clung on to it for dear life.

However he soon realised he was holding on to the crocodile, reports the Daily News.

He began to despair after seven hours in the water but felt the crocodile nudge his belly and push him to the river bank.

now that is an unexpected story!

My guess is that croc was either blinded or desoriented or somesuch by the event or else it would have killed and ate/stashed away that man. Crocs have no sense of loyalty in their hazelnut-sized brains...

Or maybe the man is flat-out lying through his teeth, who knows.

Sage said:
and how do you know it has no loyalty?

How would such a complex concept fit in the mind of a predatory reptile? The brain/body mass ratio is tiny for reptiles, especially the big ones.

there are trained crocks that wouldn't eat their trainers unless they were seriously starving

might not have been hungry at the time

Mulciber said:
there are trained crocks that wouldn't eat their trainers unless they were seriously starving

I suspect that is more likely a case of trainers learning how to keep out of reach.

Mulciber said:

...Except they'll bite down on reflex if anything touches the inside of their mouth when they're gaping...

I don't think these things are trainable at all. In fact I doubt they have any non-instinctive behavior patterns at all. They're dumb-as-rocks eating machines, like sharks. Both very well adjusted to their habitat and thus extremely successful at what they do, but still dumb as rocks.

Guden Oden said:
Mulciber said:

...Except they'll bite down on reflex if anything touches the inside of their mouth when they're gaping...
I'm puzzled.... a female croc' looks after its young for a while and carries them around in her mouth.

Guden Oden said:
Mulciber said:

I don't think these things are trainable at all. In fact I doubt they have any non-instinctive behavior patterns at all. They're dumb-as-rocks eating machines, like sharks. Both very well adjusted to their habitat and thus extremely successful at what they do, but still dumb as rocks.

Guden, unless you carry in your extensive repertoire an animal behavior degree, or have done extensive research on the subject, then the above post is an insipid report. You don't have the qualification to be making quantitave measurements of intelligence :rolleyes: .

I know that fresh water croc are vicious.

But what type of croc is this ? Maybe the ones that live in the sea are alot more friendly :)

perhaps he was just saving him for a meal later down the road ?

Yeah, the croc is in fattening the man, while its get its free meal :)

Back