Projector for a disabled man with poor eyesight?

Squilliam

Beyond3d isn't defined yet
Veteran
Supporter
I have a friend who is wheelchair bound and has only half vision in just one eye. His eyesight is so bad he struggles to read subtitles on a 53inch LCD from only 6 feet away. He has a computer as well which he struggles to see.

He will probably be building a new house in 6-12 months so I was hoping to advise him on that purchase and I was thinking that maybe a computer/entertainment setup on projector could help with the eyesight issues.

The projector would be used for games and moves (pc and console) as well as general computer internet stuff.

Im completely clueless about sizes and viewing distances, the only consideration maybe, would be a higher resolution? So im left with asking what kind of setup you would get yourself if you were doing everything on it? (PC, Gaming, movies.)

Thanks for any input.

Here is a viewing calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

The key here is the "Viewing Angle". The higher the viewing angle the bigger the screen in your eyes.

With 6 feet and 52inch LCD means 35.6 viewing angle.
Maybe a 60~50 degree could help.

For projector this is a difficult question. This depends on the quality, resolution, portability and the budget you target. Maybe a multimedia projector.

And then you need to do some projection calculations: http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm

Will the projector be in a light controlled environment. Do you need the screen be seen in any angle. etc...

Also check the avsforum projector forums for info.

Yep, the projector would be in an enclosed dark environment. Screen angle will pretty much be dead on for him. Clarity of text would be important as well.

Doesn't need to be portable, but it does need to be flexible and high resolution. But mainly extremely clear.

Budget target would be up to $8000 including screen if that helps.

Before I do any more... Am I barking up the wrong tree? I have never seen a good home projector in use, thats all. Can an $8000 projector produce a good image as well as text? But your answer has helped alot.

There are good projector that can be used with PC for excellent presentation.
For extreme quality both PC and movies maybe a new 1080p (1:1 pixel mapping via HDMI) could do it.

IIRC many people like the new Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p projector. Good quality and price.

Dont get screen with gain because it will reduce the angle or places you can see the image.

Also remenber the cost of change Lamps. Lamps are proprietary of each manufacturer, expensive and have to be changed from 1000 to 3000 hours of use.

But remenber to test it with your friend in a dealer environment before buy.

Back