Creating 2nd LAN connection while saving current config

Sxotty

Legend
I was wondering if there is a way to create 2 connections thru the same ethernet port.

i.e. if a computer has to be set up with all kinds of BS at work, and you take it home and plug it into your ethernet is there a way to just have 2 seperate connections as with dial-up you can have many.

The reason I ask is my mother is visiting and her computer has all kinds of crap to make it function at her work, I don't want to have to copy all the stuff down, and then just delete it all and switch it to automatically obtain ... then reenter it all when she leaves.

Surely there is a simple way to do this.

edit: It is windows 2k based I should have stated earlier

I'm not sure. On WinXP pro (which is what I have at work), I can't seem to get two connections that are 'always on' type (DHCP, no passwords required, etc).

I could make at least one 'PPoE' connection, in addition to my always on connection, plus as many VPN connections as I wanted.

What is the stuff that your mom needs to have installed to work with work?

Another option is to buy a USB ethernet connector and have two nic's that way.

I guess if you have a DHCP server on either network you can just use that. Otherwise you might simply put two IP addresses on the adapter, which will let you talk to PCs on either LAN. But it won't take care of things like default gateway, nameservers and domain memberships, should you need those.

Russ maybe this will help...
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/columns/russel/02march04.asp

Florin I am clueless about network stuff. Here is what I have at home...

Dlink di704 router connected to my cable modem. I just select obtain automatically for everything and it works.

Her computer is set up for a network where you have to enter the ip addresses manually along with everything else.

I will go and look to see if I can enable dhcp in addition to what she has and then maybe it will work.

Thank-you for your responses, hopefully I will figure it out.

Back