CPU: Which A64?

Manvol

Newcomer
Hello guys :smile:

Tommorow I'll go to buy the CPU for my upgrade (I buy them part to part :LOL: )

But there is a question I need to ask. The A64 3000+ Venice core is cheap (the shop I'll buy it from has it for 160 euros) and most people say that it's ocing very good. Actually in tests I've read in the worst case scenario it has oced to 2.3Ghz+ @stock cooling!

But there are more models like the 3200+ Venice which has a default of 2.0Ghz. I wonder if I'll get much better overclocks (like 2.6GHz for the 3200+ or even 2.8Ghz-2.9GHz for the 3500+).

Is it possible to go that much higher just because the model goes around in the market with a higher number on it (3200+, 3500+, ....) or there is no real difference between them and the 3000+ Venice will oc easily around the clock speeds the 3200+ and the 3500+ will? :???:

That's a question I wanted to ask a long time ago, and now I find it in front of me when I'm scheduling my upgrade.

Anyone who knows about these hardware issues, plz help! :oops:

That price is not really nice, where are you? You can get it from Alternate.net for 119, or 149 boxed. And there are probably even cheaper ones.

Actually I'm in Greece, and the prices here aren't that low. That's not the problem though I have already accepted this fact ;)

Manvol said:
Actually I'm in Greece, and the prices here aren't that low. That's not the problem though I have already accepted this fact ;)

Since you're in the EU, you can order from any EU country without any taxes, except for shipping (which is mostly anywhere between 5 and 15 €). Might be worth a try?

I've just found a greek online shop, www.e-shop.gr, which has the 3000+ Venice for 151 euros, boxed. Better offer and since they have a shipping point in my city I will not pay shipping costs. Thanks for the idea! ;)

Back to the question now :???:

Fair enough :???:

So you say that if I want a safe way to a faster CPU, I should stick with the 225 euros 3500+ Venice.

I'm asking this, because I already bought a PCI-E 6800GT 256MB GDDR3, and obviously, I want a CPU that can get the most out of the card. :cool:

I'm afraid the 3000+, if it ain't oc at least in the 2.2-2.3GHz clock speed, would be a bottle neck to the gfx card. :mad:

And I still have the RAM from my former PC, two 512MB DDR400 modules, one TwinMos value, the other Kingston value, both CL3. I also believe that these modules will be a great obstucle in the overclocking potential ( I doubt they will run stable at 240-250MHz of HTT bus speeds :cry: )

Manvol said:
And I still have the RAM from my former PC, two 512MB DDR400 modules, one TwinMos value, the other Kingston value, both CL3. I also believe that these modules will be a great obstucle in the overclocking potential ( I doubt they will run stable at 240-250MHz of HTT bus speeds :cry: )
You can always chose a higher memory divider to run your RAM at or below its rated speed.

I would always go for the cheapest model. I dont believe the o/c potential of the higer model number CPUs are higher.

phenix said:
I would always go for the cheapest model. I dont believe the o/c potential of the higer model number CPUs are higher.
I was torn between the 3000+ & 3200+ too, I ended up getting the 3000+ figuring that I will be upgrading my CPU down the road. (I'm still trying to get an X2 CPU. :oops: )

Mine does just peachy at 2.4Ghz, but I had Snipes help setting it up. ;)

digitalwanderer said:
I was torn between the 3000+ & 3200+ too, I ended up getting the 3000+ figuring that I will be upgrading my CPU down the road. (I'm still trying to get an X2 CPU. :oops: )

Mine does just peachy at 2.4Ghz, but I had Snipes help setting it up. ;)

Yeah, the good thing with the s939 is that even the high-end X2 4800 can someday sit inside my rig and I like this upgrading potential :devilish:

Otherwise, probably I'll have to go for the 3000+ too, cause the cost is going too high.

I still have to pay for the Tagan 480W PSU that just arrived, buy a new case (probably the Thermaltake Armor model - very nice case), and a good s939 NF4 mobo too. That's around 500-600 euros - and I've already bought the gfx card!

Too pricey staying up to date :???:

digitalwanderer said:
Make sure you get good memory with the 3000+, that's the trick. ;)

At first I will see how it goes without new RAM. I will use my former modules. If it ain't go well....well then I'll have to collect some more money for 1gig of ram - fast and reliable modules this time around.

But incurable above stated I could use the divider system to go on with my old RAM so I guess there are some ways to work it out.... :rolleyes:

you should be able to get 2.4ghz from a 3000 and ddr400, which is a nice 600mhz overclock, just remember to lower the hht multiplier, or you'll have a 1.4ghz hht bus :LOL:

you can also get the 3000 from www.overclockers.co.uk for £73.95 which is €108.80, not sure what delivery is but your still going to save money over what your planning.

Well because the A64 can use any RAM divider without issue, the RAM will not impact your CPU OC. What will is the mobo you get, so get a good one. The gold standard at this point is still the DFI NForce4 series. My brother has a ASUS A8N-E though, and gets 2.55Ghz rock solid with his 3000, and 2.65Ghz bootable.

DudeMiester said:
Well because the A64 can use any RAM divider without issue, the RAM will not impact your CPU OC. What will is the mobo you get, so get a good one. The gold standard at this point is still the DFI NForce4 series. My brother has a ASUS A8N-E though, and gets 2.55Ghz rock solid with his 3000, and 2.65Ghz bootable.

DudeMiester, I have heard of how good this mobo is both for oc and stability. But I've also read in forums that it's somewhat...well, elitistic with the RAM modules you put on it.
And that concerns me, cause I don't have the best RAM modules in the market. They are just cheap value modules :oops:

If I'm gonna have instability, or even incombatibility problems with this mobo then what's the point in buying it? At this point I want to work with my old modules, cause...well, no more money :???:

Actually what kind of Ram your brother uses, and which cooling on the A64?

I'd love to get that DFI mobo, but only if there are no such problems :???:

Manvol said:
DudeMiester, I have heard of how good this mobo is both for oc and stability. But I've also read in forums that it's somewhat...well, elitistic with the RAM modules you put on it.
And that concerns me, cause I don't have the best RAM modules in the market. They are just cheap value modules :oops:

Make sure you get one of the newer X64s (90nm, new steppings). AMD improved the memory controller on it. My X2 4400+ is able to drive my crap el cheapo Geil 2x1GB modules at 200MHz with 1T timings, something my old 3500+ never could do. - On the same MSI Neo 2 Platinum.

Cheers
Gubbi

Gubbi said:
Make sure you get one of the newer X64s (90nm, new steppings). AMD improved the memory controller on it. My X2 4400+ is able to drive my crap el cheapo Geil 2x1GB modules at 200MHz with 1T timings, something my old 3500+ never could do. - On the same MSI Neo 2 Platinum.

Cheers
Gubbi

Gubbi, the 3000+ I'm planning to buy is the Venice core, so I think it has the improved memory controller.

To answer your orignal question; the miltiplier on the A64s cannot be pushed above default so the higher model of A64 the more room you have to overclock. Granted that doesn't mean the higher models will reach better clockspeed, but if your motherboard tops out at say 270mhz that will give you getting 2.7ghz on a 3200+ while a 3000+ will never break 2.43ghz on that same board. So I highly recomend springing for the 3200+ as they don't tend to cost much more.

kyleb said:
To answer your orignal question; the miltiplier on the A64s cannot be pushed above default so the higher model of A64 the more room you have to overclock. Granted that doesn't mean the higher models will reach better clockspeed, but if your motherboard tops out at say 270mhz that will give you getting 2.7ghz on a 3200+ while a 3000+ will never break 2.43ghz on that same board. So I highly recomend springing for the 3200+ as they don't tend to cost much more.

Hmm, really that's correct. I could go with the 3200+, as far as there is no big price difference :rolleyes:

But I'm very confused about this divider issue. How it works?

In my current mobo's BIOS (MSI K7N2 Delta) there is no such tweak, so I guess it's somenthing new in the town.

Anyone who can explain it with simple words would be of great help :smile:

Back