CPU: Which A64?

Manvol said:
In my current mobo's BIOS (MSI K7N2 Delta) there is no such tweak, so I guess it's somenthing new in the town.

Anyone who can explain it with simple words would be of great help :smile:
I had the same problem making the Barton to A64 jump, I'll hunt down the threads where they explained it all to me. :)

Basically with the A64 you can NOT set the multiplier at all so you can only play with the FSB. ('Cept they call that something different now, but it's still the FSB to me. ;) )

HOWEVER, you can set your ram & CPU to use different speeds a bit. It'll basically run the CPU at a higher speed without pushing up your FSB and without using the CPUs multiplier, it's just another sneak around. ;)

I found it better to run it straight 1/1 ratio, but your own mileage may vary and it's good to have options.

digitalwanderer, that would be very nice :smile:

I have done some research in the forum, i can't find those threads you are talking about though :rolleyes:

Manvol said:
digitalwanderer, that would be very nice

I have done some research in the forum, i can't find those threads you are talking about though
Found it!

digitalwanderer at Elite Bastards said:
As a lot of things in me virtual life, it started off in a thread over at Beyond3d and then kind of meandered from there...

Basically:

digitalwanderer said:
Stuff we don't know very much about.

I'm really confuzled by this and think I could REALLY benefit by understanding it a bit better, could you please explain it/link to an explanation?

I'm running mine straight at 225 I think right now but the CPU temp hasn't risen very much at all. (Got a decent TT Venus 12, I just liked the idea of being able to say I had a Venus on a Venice. <--twice in the same post, not good)
digitalwanderer said:
Kyleb said:
It doesn't really get you around the multiplier lock, but it sure lets you get around memory limitations. We have had such options for years, but it is just that much more usefull with the a64s as they have such efficent memory controllers that it doesn't really hurt much to turn the memory speed down.

I run my 3000+ winnie at 2.43 ghz by turning the HTT up to 270mhz and running my memory at 2/3s. I had the memory at 5/6 before I added a second gig but now it doesn't like 225mhz for the mem. So my memory is at 180mhz now, but turning it down really didn't do much of anything to game performance at all.
Ok, the HTT up to 270 and memory at 2/3 means your really running your 178.2....at 5/6 it's 224.9999 .......

OMG, I think I get it....I really do, I think I get it now. Thanks, I should be able to use this well.
digitalwanderer at B3D said:
Oh gods, my kids have got me so tense/distracted I couldn't even FIND my memory divider thingy in my bios.

I'll try again later when I can do it without grinding my teeth....
digitalwanderer said:
http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/image-vp491130.html#491130

I wonder if you could clarify something for me.

I too have been trying to raise my FSB. I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-9 with an A64 3200 (Venice) and 2x512Mb CL 2.5 RAM.

I couldn't get above 230 until I set the RAM frequency in the BIOS to 166 and with this setting I am up to 270 stable. This is with LDT at 3 by the way.

I have read all about dividers for the RAM speed but, from the wording in the BIOS this motherboard doesn't appear to support dividers.

In my BIOS the setting for RAM says something like "This sets the Max clock speed for RAM. RAM will not go above this speed" and it has selections for 133, 166 and 200 MHz.

Now that I have it set at 166 are you saying it is really at

(270/200) * 166 = 224 MHz ?

The reason I am doubtful is the wording (above) and the fact that CBId says that the DRAM controller clock frequency is 166.

Is there any tool that will confirm the real clock frequency of the DRAM?

Ha! So I'm not crazy, I'm just more confuzled....but at least I'm making some progress.

(Do NOT have kids until you are sure you are ready for 'em, lord will they try your nerves some days! )
Ok, so if I lock my "Max clock speed for RAM" to 166 and set my HTT to 270 I should be running my memory at 225 still and my CPU at something muchly higher....correct?

Thank you very much digitalwanderer! :p :p

EDIT: I completely forgot that such stuff has been posted in the thread I opened :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
Manvol said:
But I'm very confused about this divider issue. How it works?

In my current mobo's BIOS (MSI K7N2 Delta) there is no such tweak, so I guess it's somenthing new in the town.

Actually memory dividers and CPU multiplers have been around for adges and I'd be supprised if your nForce2 board didn't support the options. but running the memory out of sync can be pretty hard on the performace with the 32bit Athlons and your CPU multiplier may well be locked.

digitalwanderer said:
Basically with the A64 you can NOT set the multiplier at all so you can only play with the FSB. ('Cept they call that something different now, but it's still the FSB to me. ;) )

Since when? A64's have been multiplyer unlocked downwards since release, just not upwards, only the FX series are unlocked both up and down.

I saw that too but I just figured he meant "up" instead of "set" but considered it the same thing as lowering the multiplier really isn't of much use on an a64.

Broken Hope said:
Since when? A64's have been multiplyer unlocked downwards since release, just not upwards, only the FX series are unlocked both up and down.
My bad, you are correct....I just never paid attention to clocking my CPU back since it seems to run counter to everything I believe in. :oops:

rockfish said:
EBAY IS GOD PEOPLE YOU COULD PROBERLY BUY A AMD64 FOR ABOUT 50-70 QUID!!!!!(pounds)

Is it really safe to get a CPU from EBay? I did buy my cheap motherboard there...but i'm not sure if It would be a good thing to throw down money for a single CPU of off EBay.

So a San Diego core (non FX) has the same locker as the Venice? Isn't the SanDiego with 1mb cache and the 4000+ just a much better CPU than the Venice at 3800?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back