Could Sony's Cross-Play technology be the reason for the Street Fighter 5 PS4/PC deal?

But these browser games are still running in the same environment no matter what hardware it's on.
Yes, which was kinda my point. Even on different browsers on different hardwares, these games work fine. Now imagine that same browser-based game only where the developer also wrote the 'browser' client so they have full control. There'll be even less chance of bugs ruining online play because they'll have reduced one of the variables.

Network code is the same as emails or texts. It's just packets of information easily readable and usable by any client regardless of hardware. There's no reason to think networking between PC and console will be any more problematic than sending emails from Windows to Mac or texting from a Samsung phone to an iPhone.

I'd love to see XB1 and PS4 cross play, for 3rd parties it should be a no brainer to do and hopefully the platform holders will move in that direction.
Then again there would even less to reason to chose a platform instead of another.

I'd love to see XB1 and PS4 cross play, for 3rd parties it should be a no brainer to do and hopefully the platform holders will move in that direction.
Then again there would even less to reason to chose a platform instead of another.
Actually, there'd be one less barrier. If you want a console for its exclusives, but you also want to play FIFA online with your mates, and you mates own the other console, cross-play is essential to enable your console of choice to share the online experience.

Considering the only barrier to cross-play is console-company policy, perhaps more pressure should be brought to bare?

If its a barrier or reason, I expect is dependant on where you are situated along the table.
As a user, its one less barrier/decision to go through, but for the platform holder I expect you want those barriers and also as skewed as possible in your direction.

So if I want to go XB1 and most of my online playing friends have PS4, it will be good for MS and bad for Sony to have cross-platform play. But it will be great for me and my friends. And its probably "better" for the platform with less users, if I weighed playing with friends higher than playing XB1 exlusives.

Question then is, who believes enough in their product and are willing to "risk" it, at the moment it looks like that is Sony. But I got the feeling that it would actually more beneficial to MS at this point in time.

Back