Could RE5 trailer been rendered using highend PC GPUs?

PC-Engine

Banned
I've been going over the full resolution screen grabs from the RE5 trailer and it seems to me that current highend PC GPUs could render it fairly easily. Considering a highend graphics card can have up to 512MB of GDDR3, I don't see why it couldn't be possible since it's just a cut scene with little CPU involvement required. What does everyone think?

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1275/full-res/1122094937.jpg

Can somebody tell me why that picture could NOT be rendered using a top of the line PC GPU?

Last edited by a moderator:
PC-Engine said:
I've been going over the full resolution screen grabs from the RE5 trailer and it seems to me that current highend PC GPUs could render it fairly easily. Considering a highend graphics card can have up to 512MB of GDDR3, I don't see why it couldn't be possible since it's just a cut scene with little CPU involvement required. What does everyone think?

http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1275/full-res/1122094937.jpg

Can somebody tell me why that picture could NOT be rendered using a top of the line PC GPU?

Who said it couldn't?
Personally, I'll say that it does look VERY nice and much better than anything i've seen on a PC. I'm sure that programming for one single configuration of PC with a high end GPU (= consoles like X360 or PS3, more or less) will give much better results than current PC software which targets lower specs and scales up from there.

overclocked said:
Is it not?

I was gonna say the same. The RE5 trailer was either prerendered or rendered on non-final devkits which use current high-end GPUs, so i guess that answers the question.

That's the thing...people were saying it had to be prerendered CG which I find strange since the pics don't look CG. In fact they look like something rendered on a highend PC GPU by good artists using the full capabilities of the GPU they have on tap.

PC-Engine said:
That's the thing...people were saying it had to be prerendered CG which I find strange since the pics don't look CG. In fact they look like something rendered on a highend PC GPU by good artists using the full capabilities they have on tap.

That's the whole point of using PC-derived GPUs on consoles, isn't it? The fact that by targetting one single board, it is possible to tap into the GPUs in a way that could never be done on PC without making the game exclusive to one single GPU - like in the 3Dfx days, which i loved cause i had one.:mrgreen:

Well my point was that the RE5 trailer could've indeed been running on actual PC GPUs vs prerended CG like some here were saying. Unlike other trailers that obviously looked CG *cough* insert X game here *cough*, RE5 seemed very doable on existing PC GPUs.

PC-Engine said:
Well my point was that the RE5 trailer could've indeed been running on actual PC GPUs vs prerended CG like some here were saying. Unlike other trailers that obviously looked CG *cough* insert X game here *cough*, RE5 seemed very doable on existing PC GPUs.

Personally my opinion was that it was CGI "rendered to spec" or whatever they call it, but it was just a bit more conservative with regards to the "projected specs" than other videos shown in the last months.

london-boy said:
Personally my opinion was that it was CGI "rendered to spec" or whatever they call it, but it was just a bit more conservative with regards to the "projected specs" than other videos shown in the last months.

The question is WHY would Capcom use prerendered stuff when they can do it using a desktop PC and REUSE these game assets in the actual game? Makes no sense at all.

PC-Engine said:
The question is WHY would Capcom use prerendered stuff when they can do it using a desktop PC and REUSE these game assets in the actual game? Makes no sense at all.

It does make lots of sense, since they merely showed a video. One single video. Which, even if realtime, is not running on anything that resembles final hardware on BOTH consoles. One of them, yes, but not both. So they'll have to change a lot of stuff either way.

london-boy said:
It does make lots of sense, since they merely showed a video. One single video. Which, even if realtime, is not running on anything that resembles final hardware on BOTH consoles. One of them, yes, but not both. So they'll have to change a lot of stuff either way.

What are you talking about? Models/textures/shaders created for a highend PC GPU can EASILY be ported to a final hardware in Xbox 360 especially when using something like DirectX.

PC-Engine said:
What are you talking about? Models/textures/shaders created for a highend PC GPU can EASILY be ported to a final hardware in Xbox 360 especially when using something like DirectX.

I'm aware of that. The CGI-to-spec could also have been using the same assets, so really, what's the point of speculating this if you already had your idea before starting the thread and attack whoever disagrees with you?

london-boy said:
I'm aware of that. The CGI-to-spec could also have been using the same assets, so really, what's the point of speculating this if you already had your idea before starting the thread and attack whoever disagrees with you?

I just want to know why some people think it's prerendered when it obviously doesn't look prerender at all?

PC-Engine said:
I just want to know why some people think it's prerendered when it obviously doesn't look prerender at all?

Well i haven't seen that many people saying it's pre-rendered. Everyone seem to agree that that trailer had stuff that should be obtainable on next gen hardware, whether it was pre-rendered or not.

PC-Engine said:
First before passing any judgements we need a direct feed video, if the level of AA is the same in the video, no need to think again about it, it's CGi. If the video contains some shimmering, then maybe, it's RT.

Also, you have to note that there's what looks like geometry shaders (the beard) and some textures are really, really high-res (i.e:the gun). Maybe thoses are for cutsecenes only... But for now, we can't tell.

Anyway, for now we can only speculate. The thing that is for sure is that is the video doesn't seem to be impossible to produce in real-time (IQ and some details aside).

Gamespot translated an interview from Famitsu Xbox with Takeuchi which talks a bit about how it was rendered.

Takeuchi stated that his team worked especially hard on the character's face. He said that each strand of hair of the man's beard was made out of actual polygons. The development team went as far as to actually create the muscles in the man's face, which resulted in natural-looking movement of his skin and realistic facial expressions. The developers apparently also painstakingly detailed areas of the character that aren't normally seen, such as models for each of the man's teeth. However, Takeuchi said he was unsure if the actual game will be able to feature that much detail.

Can't you apply loads of AA and AF using the latest graphics cards for a resolution like 1280 x 720?

translated an interview from Famitsu Xbox with Takeuchi which talks a bit about how it was rendered

cool thanks.

Has there been an official statement saying it's running inside the game engine?

If there hasn't it's because it's not. If I was them, I would make it quite clear that the video was being ran inside the game engine, if it indeed was and would just stay very quite if it wasn't.

Personally I don't think the level of detail shown in the video is quite possible. All the games that have been confirmed as running in real time come nowhere close. There are too many polygons, textures and effects all being shown at once. The post processing effects have clarity and resolution way beyond what has been seen previously and the same goes for the models shown considering there quantity.

Also note the ultra sharp un aliased edges that are consistently present all over the scene, thats certainly not 4xAA at work and also note the level of AF. To me the video and the screenshot look exactly like the work of an offline renderer with the exception of a few objects that are overly conservative with there polygon count considering there distance from the camera.

No wonder people keep saying there disapointed with very nice graphics if they think this is what games will look like in the near future. I mean, I'm sorry to disrupt the insane amount of hype going off here. :-?

Vysez said:
some textures are really, really high-res (i.e:the gun). Maybe thoses are for cutsecenes only... But for now, we can't tell.

I agree, but even Max Payne & 2 had ridiculously high res gun textures. (Ridiculous considering you can zoom in and still see details.)

Back