Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

For nothing, dude, may be align to the point of this very thread: see if Dreamcast can handle games released after its unfair demise? But...what do i know?

Then maybe pick something that doesn't require a DC to be physically modified with the double the RAM to work/function?

This thread is exactly that.

It's not generating any interesting technical discussions so maybe needs closing @Shifty Geezer ?
No, it's a valuable thread, a fascinating discussion, if just people would stop picking a side they want to be true and just talked about what we know and what we can test. The fault isn't the topic but the contributors.

People are way too confrontational in this thread. That console war ended decades ago. Let go of your emotional attachments and just engage in the "what if?" discussion for fun.
In the end of the day its all in good fun. Comments may seem sharp/pointed but it isnt anything serious.
Past few pages suggests otherwise. If people can't self moderate, I think thread bans for individuals is the best way to return the discussion to technical talk from informed contributors with background knowledge or who are performing investigations and generating valid data.

Would you be able to clarify as to why you think I needed to see that Tweet in order for me to sleep tonight.

Does that extend to Nesh and Shifty Geezer? Two others that have also highlighted your over excitement, over something that's ultimately nothing?
Me over excitement? Lol I am the one saying that be lucky if it runs at more than 10 FPS, and that it will never reach PS2 quality... Read my comments again...

Then maybe pick something that doesn't require a DC to be physically modified with the double the RAM to work/function?
So didnt knew we werent allowed to talk about a development done by a single person of exactly one of the games we would like to see on DC (and not just us, lotta people worldwide), because is on mega early dev stage and still not running on a retail DC?

As far as i know, this is Beyond3D, when people discuss and show tech data about videogames. This very thread exists because of all of us, who were since 2014 asking and showing DC poly and tech data on "Yes but How Many Polygons?" So they decided to create this spawn thread to focus precisely on Dreamcast...And 10 years later it turns out we are not allowed to also talk about newer projects on DC related to the matter?

So didnt knew we werent allowed to talk about a development done by a single person of exactly one of the games we would like to see on DC (and not just us, lotta people worldwide), because is on mega early dev stage and still not running on a retail DC?

As far as i know, this is Beyond3D, when people discuss and show tech data about videogames. This very thread exists because of all of us, who were since 2014 asking and showing DC poly and tech data on "Yes but How Many Polygons?" So they decided to create this spawn thread to focus precisely on Dreamcast...And 10 years later it turns out we are not allowed to also talk about newer projects on DC related to the matter?

I wouldn't call a user project that requires physically soldering extra RAM in the machine to work a, 'DC Project'

I've also failed to see pretty much anyone discuss what cutbacks will be required to the PS2 version to get it to run on DC.

You are more than welcome to start that discussion.

Exactly. Not to mention that's how deving works. Every dev kit is higher spec than the console hardware. Naomi has 32mb, yet tons of games come to DC pretty much intact. In the case of doa2, actually better than Naomi with the limited edition.

People have literally said there would be cutbacks like reduced fillrate effects or draw distance, but some people seem to ignore that

People have literally said there would be cutbacks like fillrate or draw distance, but some people seem to ignore that.

What do you think would need to be cutback in terms of gameplay systems? Factoring in the large difference in CPU performance between DC and PS2.

Me over excitement? Lol I am the one saying that be lucky if it runs at more than 10 FPS, and that it will never reach PS2 quality... Read my comments again...
That's the thing. Your contributions are often lost in translation, misquoted or misinterpreted.

You are testing and showing your results. You also try to be as objective as possible. Some of your tests show a lot of possible potential of DC capabilities. At the same time you are grounded and realistic regarding how far the DC can go. Others take your experiments and other people's experiments as proof of DC's superpowers and that any PS2 game can be ported and compete favorably when the tests are somewhat irrelevant. Yes the DC does have untapped potential, yes the DC does have some advantages over the PS2. But the PS2 has advantages over the DC too. We had XBOX games also ported to the PS2 and they had serious downgrades. Some even had huge sections cut or altered.

Of course we know that any game on any console can be made for another with enough changes and downgrades when the console is weaker. But that doesn't give any valuable information.

Only ports themselves can give some.

What I hate sometimes in such discussions, not just here but in other online spaces, is that, some people are still living in the past. Still hoping that their favorite console will prove the "haters" and the "naysayers" wrong after all these years. All the discussion is revolving around fulfilling that hope, not around the available information at hand.
That is true, if your Dreamcast ate all its vegetables, did its homework it would be about 25 years old right now starting a family on its
own worrying about more important stuff like where to spend holidays with all the money it is making working at a nice law firm

Same for someone’s PS2

People have literally said there would be cutbacks like reduced fillrate effects or draw distance, but some people seem to ignore that
You don't know if the cut backs will be isolated only to those areas, nor how much the draw distance will be reduced or what else will be affected from the dynamic world or how much the framerate might be affected. Every single one of us agree that a version of GTA could be possible on DC with enough changes. The big question is what are these changes and how big can they be?

You got so excited about the current state of the "port" as if it already proves the DC can run it with just some visual cut backs, when it is literally a mess and gives zero information on that at it's current state.

We had XBOX games also ported to the PS2 and they had serious downgrades.

And the award for the most downgraded Xbox game ported to PS2 goes too.....Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

With Malice, getting an honourable mention.

Honestly, The downgrade is so terrible in Chaos Theory it's like comparing two different console generations.

That is true, if your Dreamcast ate all its vegetables, did its homework it would be about 25 years old right now starting a family on its
own worrying about more important stuff like where to spend holidays with all the money it is making working at a nice law firm

Same for someone’s PS2
Love the analogy

You don't know if the cut backs will be isolated only to those areas, nor how much the draw distance will be reduced or what else will be affected from the dynamic world or how much the framerate might be affected. Every single one of us agree that a version of GTA could be possible on DC with enough changes. The big question is what are these changes and how big can they be?

You got so excited about the current state of the "port" as if it already proves the DC can run it with just some visual cut backs, when it is literally a mess and gives zero information on that at it's current state.

This, the rendering side of it won't really be much of a problem, a reduction in RAM and streaming speed might require scene complexity to reduce though.

The other stuff is where the interesting discussion is at. If you drive over a news paper on the PS2 version it 'blows around' the ground, would that feature stay? Or need to be cut? Because or CPU or lack of RAM?

What about the sub-way? The day and night cycle?

Polygons and textures are the last things that will be cut.

Back