Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

Hmm what do you think about naomi2 ports to DC. Basically the same hardware with tons of memory and a really unique tnl unit.
Obviously, you'd have to reduce the poly count and simplify the lighting. The lighting and skinning seem like the most difficult aspect graphically. The Naomi 2 games released don't seem to push static geometry amounts and fillrate as far past what the DC can do, compared to lighting and skinning. None of the Naomi 2 games released seem very CPU intensive or complex, so they all seem pretty doable with enough graphical reductions.

Texture wise, Naomi 2 games are potentially of easier to port to the DC than a Naomi game could be. Since on the Naomi 2 the larger polygon count would require more video RAM to store the scene data, leaving less for textures than a Naomi 1 game. Since the DC can't attempt Naomi 2 polygon counts, it's scene buffer would be smaller and would take a smaller percentage of video RAM, leaving more room for textures and less of a need to downsample (the DC is still at a disadvantage overall, just less than you might expect). A Naomi 1 game going all out texture wise (like Asian Dynamite) would need more downsampling for a DC port than a Naomi 2 game. Most Naomi 1 games do not go all out, and seem to use a lot of uncompressed textures.

VF4 compresses textures that I wouldn't expect to AM2 to compress, like character faces. It kind of gives the impression that the larger scene buffer was causing video memory pressure. But there could be other reasons, like they could have just changed their mind about how unacceptable the compression artifacts are, or having more powerful computers made them more willing to deal with slow VQ compression.

So that's what the DC CT developers meant when they (via a translator) talked about DC textures being more highly compressed!
I was trying to say that you could improve on the textures in the home version. There are several textures left uncompressed on the DC (like the sky, taxi, HUD) that you could go and add compression to, and you could improve the compression ratio on the ones that are compressed to free up more room, allowing for more textures to stay at the original arcade resolution.

Dreamcast made lots of use of 2bpp VQ textures, where as the most directly comparable S3TC mode was a 24bit (no-alpha) texture compressed down to 4bpp. Both were lossy, with 2bpp VQ naturally being lossier.
An S3TC 256x256 16bpp mipmapped texture would be about 42.7 KB, while VQ would be about 23.3 KB. For a similar 128x128 texture, the difference would be smaller due to the 2KB overhead, with 10.7 KB for S3TC and 7.3 KB for VQ. but VQ could be reduced somewhat (typically by 0.5-1.5KB) at the cost of quality.
Pretty sure DC also supported 4bpp VQ textures which were much higher quality than 2bpp. If you wanted to use transparencies on DC I think you needed to use 4 or 8 bit CLUT textures or RGB I think. Transparencies with S3TC were 8bpp, again IIRC.

As with most forms of image compression, ongoing work into improving compressors pays off. DC was dead before any S3TC equipped consoles arrived.
There's no high quality compression format, just one VQ option. VQ on the DC takes the uncompressed texture and reduces it by 1/8th, then adds an overhead of up to 2KB on top for the codebook (which is like a fancy palette, but tiles instead of a single color). You can use a smaller codebook size if the overhead is too much, but it also reduces the quality of the compressed texture. For a 16BPP texture, and ignoring codebook size, you end up with a size of 16BPP/8=2BPP. The only real texture format with a size of 4BPP is uncompressed 16 color.

You could fake higher quality compression by stretching the texture to double width or height, basically halving the compression ratio (so for a 16bpp texture, instead of 2x2 tiles, you have 2x1 or 1x2), and effectively compresses to 4BPP, but texture filtering would be wrong, so it only works well for point sampled stuff. Scaling the texture up to double height and width then VQ compressing is equivalent to an 8BPP texture.

You can VQ compress any texture format, including formats with alpha, normal maps, 8BPP, and 4BPP, which are all 1/8th the size of the original plus codebook overhead. A compressed 1024x1024 4BPP texture without mipmaps would be 66KB. But there's a hardware bug when both mipmaps and texture filtering are enabled for palettized VQ (see the attached screenshots here, you might want to zoom in), and the quality for 4BPP VQ is poor, which uniquely becomes becomes far, far worse, when mipmaps are enabled, for reasons I won't bother to fully explain right now (short explanation is that the tile shape is no longer contiguous or consistent,) so they aren't as easy to use as you'd hope.

The official PVR driver/texture compressor handled small codebooks in a weird, over-complicated, and inflexible way, with only a few sizes/mipmap combinations having small codebooks, and always with a fixed size, but they aren't hardware limitations. The official compressor also didn't seem to be able to handle non-square textures, but the hardware handles them fine if you aren't using mipmaps. No commercial game ever took advantage of compressed 8BPP or 4BPP because a compressor didn't exist for them then.

@TapamN you mentioned that you made Shenmue render in 24 bit colour, is there an universal flag or something to force more games to do so? I hate dithering with all my soul I've patched many games to disable the dithering but the banding produced by the 16bit image is quite noticeable.
I think most games would have problems loosing 600KB of texture space. Shenmue is unique because it left RAM free for character streaming, and it's streaming could handle running out of memory gracefully.

It can't be done universally the way my deflicker disable code works, but it's kind of universal in the sense that it's modifying the same driver (ignoring WinCE) the same way in each game. You'd have to find where the PVR driver is initialized and change the frame buffer color depth there. It's not actually that hard once you know how to do it, and could probably even be automated with some work, by searching for patterns that match the PVR driver.

For instance I increased the Draw distance in crazy taxy to the max, the console surprisingly still runs at the same framerate as the vanilla version but the moment it draws double the polygons on screen the tile renderer starts to glitch and the console even freezes, in other games it just glitches until less polygons are on screen I could record some gameplay to illustrate what I mean. ( Or Maybe my console is just dying lol)

Maybe @TapamN knows more about what may be the cause, also it may seem like a stupid question but is there a way to disable that tile rendering and the independent order translucent in the console? I think specially the latter slows down rendering a lot when there are transparencies near the camera.
You mean stuff like this at 6:33?

To fix the tile rendering errors, you'd have to allocate more video RAM to the vertex buffer and/or OPB. The vertex buffer stores polygon data like rendering context, position, UV, and colors. The OPB stores per-tile pointers to polygons that might be in a tile. If either run out, you can add more polygons to the scene. If you find where the PVR driver is passed the sizes, it's not hard to increase them, but then you could run into texture space issues here too. Patching that is about as hard as doing 24BPP.

Hardware transparency sorting can be disabled, but you'll have sort errors with transparencies, unless the game is already pointlessly manually sorting things. There's no overhead for transparency sorting if there are no visible, overlapping transparent pixels.

One thing that's more likely to work without huge side effects is disabling modifier volumes on transparent polygons, if the game uses them. Modifier volumes for transparencies increase sort load like any visible transparent polygon (and sorting seems to be O(n^2)), although its still a bit faster since they don't need texel samples. This would only really help with games that use large shadow volumes (like for building shadows) that can affect transparent polygons, and wouldn't have much of an effect for game that use them for just character shadows. It might also already be disabled.

I did a quick, incomplete 2x SSAA patch for Rent-A-Hero, and disabling modifiers on transparencies helped a lot to maintain 60 FPS in areas with building shadows. It still drops to 30 FPS in some place, but those look like they could be fixed by adjusting mipmap detail levels or recompressing the textures to somewhat lower quality.

"It currently needs the 32MB mod" - So that kills any argument of it being able to run on a DC then 👀
Just because it currently requires 32MB of main RAM, doesn't mean the RAM usage couldn't be reduced to make it fit.

Looking at the model format for PS2 GTA3, there's a lot room for reducing the size of the models. It uses 32-bit floats for positions. These could be replaced with 16-bit values. You could do the same to reduce the size of UVs, from 8 bytes to 4 bytes. For some map geometry, you might even be able to calculate the UVs on the fly, by projecting the texture onto the mesh (like for floors or walls), but it would be hard to automatically convert models to this. Normals are stored as 3 bytes each, but most map geometry would repeat most normals, so they could be replaced with a palette of normals, then store a 1 byte palette index per vertex. The same could be done with vertex colors. You couldn't do all of this for all models transparently (a character model does not repeat normals the same way a building does, and would probably have to stick with 3 byte normals), but there's still a lot of room to save RAM just on the models.

Similar things could be done for the collision data. It looks like San Andreas already does some of these (like 16-bit positions), so that game would be harder to get running on a stock DC than GTA3 or VC. But reducing precision for collision could introduce gameplay bugs like small holes that you could fall though, so would probably require extra debugging to get working well.

With enough work, I feel like you wouldn't have to be cut anything completely to get GTA3 running acceptably on the DC, just shave a couple of millimeters off everywhere. Simplify the collision shapes for cars a bit, drop an iteration on the physics constraint solver for distant objects, cut the number of active cars or people by 2 or 3, spawn less litter objects, maybe the AI for pedestrians is simplified and sometimes they walk through each other, change the rain effect to be less fillrate heavy... stuff like that. But doing all that is a lot more work than doing a few big cuts. It's unlikely the fan conversion will put that much work in before they get tired of it, or Rockstar shuts it down, so I doubt we'd ever see DC GTA3 at its best.
What causes parts to draw and disappear, like the amp? I know in some older sprite consoles, HW sprites would get shared across sprites and they'd share draw time, but here there doesn't seem any similar obvious reason for the minimap to get partially drawn.
In this case, looks like an issue with the emulator and transparency sorting.

@TapamN , speaking of Naomi 2 to DC theoretical ports, what do you think of the ps2 assets being used for DC? I feel ike it would have the arcade textures with maybe two lights and for the water pool/snow arenas, it would be alittle more simplified. Maybe the snow wouldn't deform and be more like doa2, which i wouldn't complain about 🤔

What causes parts to draw and disappear, like the amp? I know in some older sprite consoles, HW sprites would get shared across sprites and they'd share draw time, but here there doesn't seem any similar obvious reason for the minimap to get partially drawn.

Those effects often rely on certain amounts of joy, happiness and also sadness, so my guess is due to the lack of an Emotion Engine inside the Dreamcast

Here's the layout they're considering for DC. Plus, the coder likes my idea of making the VMU the pager and changing the icon on screen to a VMU, too!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240717_170317_ArtFlow.jpg
    Screenshot_20240717_170317_ArtFlow.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 22
@TapamN , speaking of Naomi 2 to DC theoretical ports, what do you think of the ps2 assets being used for DC? I feel ike it would have the arcade textures with maybe two lights and for the water pool/snow arenas, it would be alittle more simplified. Maybe the snow wouldn't deform and be more like doa2, which i wouldn't complain about 🤔
I find vf4 PS2 weird . So they halved the models just to add an environment map to fake specular highlights. Meaning they are likely drawing characters model twice anyway ( base color+ env map), it probably could handled the original naomi2 character models). It's pretty much like Tekken tag were its tiny 32x32 env map ( but it's really just for the highlights). I guess since naomi2 actual specular is free they didn't worry about then but is it really that expensive on PS2 that I see this pattern of just doing specular reflection by faking it?

But anyways yeah , they probably wouldn't do it that way on dc. They probably just use actual specular reflection.

I find vf4 PS2 weird . So they halved the models just to add an environment map to fake specular highlights. Meaning they are likely drawing characters model twice anyway ( base color+ env map), it probably could handled the original naomi2 character models). It's pretty much like Tekken tag were its tiny 32x32 env map ( but it's really just for the highlights). I guess since naomi2 actual specular is free they didn't worry about then but is it really that expensive on PS2 that I see this pattern of just doing specular reflection by faking it?

But anyways yeah , they probably wouldn't do it that way on dc. They probably just use actual specular reflection.
Imagine having twice the polygons on characters and redrawing again for the speculars. That would have been even more taxing. Surely the PS2 might have been able to handle the Naomi2 characters but worrying about other effects probably led to other sacrifices

Yeah, I'm not sure it's the entire models twice cause if i recall, not much is going on with faces, skin and such. Maybe that's how they got Vanessa's skin to be glossy, though. Anyway, yeah, the DC version wouldn't do that and be more akin to the arcade. I think that would look better anyway, but who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️

Yeah, I'm not sure it's the entire models twice cause if i recall, not much is going on with faces, skin and such. Maybe that's how they got Vanessa's skin to be glossy, though. Anyway, yeah, the DC version wouldn't do that and be more akin to the arcade. I think that would look better anyway, but who knows 🤷🏾‍♂️
Vanessa especially does this for her shirt less costume but yeah so do the other characters clothes , skin ( I can't find hair doing it but it's very likely it does). Basically it's the whole model.

Vanessa especially does this for her shirt less costume but yeah so do the other characters clothes , skin ( I can't find hair doing it but it's very likely it does). Basically it's the whole model.
Been looking at it, and it kinda looks like there's certain things that don't. Things that are supposed to be more or less, less specular seem to just be lit. Like Vanessa's boots don't look too glossy to me 🤔

We have a clue that actually you found...The Pachinko version we have analyzed here!

That explains alot! They're working on replacing the models with ps2 ones.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240718_135158_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_135158_Discord.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Kuruma_PC.png
    Kuruma_PC.png
    316.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Kuruma_PS2.png
    Kuruma_PS2.png
    289.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240718_140042_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240718_140042_Discord.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 18
Still running on Reicast, but they are working hard to manage tu run it on actual retail 16 MB RAM DC....
The most important thing to see is how it actually runs on real hardware, emulation tells you nothing of how it will perform on the real thing, it could run better ( I highly doubt it) or it could run much worse, much likely.

When all the missing textures, assets and effects get added back in it will likely bump the RAM back up over 16MB.

Does anyone know the specs of the PC it's being emulated on?

GTA III always struck me as a fully polygonal GTA II where they realized late in the development they could do a third person view and the game would still work. The driving controls weren't even as tight as Need for Speed High Stakes, but the fighting and shooting controls were not upgraded to suit the 3rd person camera. I always felt like I was shooting blindly in a general direction rather than actually aiming and shooting, and pausing to switch views again results in a quick death. I remember a college professor in my history department bragging about how "open" GTA III was. I was working in a game store at the time and commented that I didn't know anybody who played the missions, that the game is essentially a helpless victim simulator. He laughed and said "Yeah, I don't play GTA for the missions either." If those pedestrians shot back more often, the appeal of the game would drop dramatically.

A potential Dreamcast version would only have suffered if it attempted to port 1:1 what was coded for the PS2. For one thing, the PS2's dependence on 224 lines, either 320x224 or 640x224 would not have been necessary on the Dreamcast. As a result, the motion blur to fudge the lower resolution image would also not have been necessary on a Dreamcast version. Full screen blur could certainly have been employed for dramatic effect, but would not have been needed on screen all of the time at 640x480, much less a super sampled resolution like Omikron uses.

Sony's 2003 Document "How Far Have we got" discusses stalls due to large textures or non 1:1 pixel to texel textures, and recommends Palatalized textures whenever possible. In my experience this meant 4bit (16-color) blobs for textures over much of the screen on PS2 games. This would also not be necessary on the Dreamcast, where the PVR 2 was designed for larger and higher quality textures and VQ compression. So, with the combination of higher resolution textures and higher rendering resolution, I sincerely doubt that halving the "particle" effects that favor the PS2's VUs would be considered a huge loss. Half the newspapers on the ground, or (detail obscuring) rain droplets being reduced, would be noticed but would they be missed in favor of what was gained?

As I mentioned previously though, short of alternate histories where the Dreamcast was dominant sales wise, there is no way an optimized version of GTA III ever would have made it to the platform.
I would not expect a port of GTA III from the PS2 in the first place, but a unique Dreamcast friendly engine using GTA III's assets and gameplay logic in the vein of Unreal Tournament or Quake III Arena. If the developer resorted to WinCE or Renderware, the DC port might as well be relegated to the 500mhz Pentium III that the internet believes it to be in parity with.

Back