Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

What do you think would need to be cutback in terms of gameplay systems? Factoring in the large difference in CPU performance between DC and PS2.
I would say n64 games fps levels, less draw distance, less pederastians, less cars, no motion blur (which is good), probaly some effects turned off....But finally, after 23 years someone is actually working on answer that question...We just gotta wait and cross fingers.
Heck yeah, baby!

Oh so it wasn't even being sent at all. Interesting. It's also interesting to see the road/map . The lights are fake? They are baked in vertex colors?
Lemme grab a screen of that too for ya!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240715_175924_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240715_175924_Discord.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 22
This video can give you an idea how the lights work during dynamic day time. Its obvious that some parts of the road have brighter textures and these are repeated even on places where there are no lights on. This is visible even during daylight when the lights are switched off.
When it is darker, and the lights are turned on, it gives the illusion that they are emissions from the lights

Edit: actually now that I am rewatching it there is something else going on under some road lights. Some yellow hue is also layered on some parts when it is night time. An you can also see the traffic lights "affecting" the road with green or red hues.
NOT all of it is baked. The brighter parts of the roads are. Then there is another layer of lighting on top that represent emissions from light sources like car, road lights and traffic lights. In general the environment lighting is fully baked. And it is expected considering the hardware of the 00's. But light sources do emit some kind of light on the nevironment.
1721110083665.png

edit2: Considering that the XBOX and PC versions are probably the same, I also found something interesting.
Some effects are missing from the XBOX versions which I think this counts for PC. Left one is PS2. There is an extra reflective effect from the car lights.
1721109557941.png

Last edited:
This video can give you an idea how the lights work during dynamic day time. Its obvious that some parts of the road have brighter textures and these are repeated even on places where there are no lights on. This is visible even during daylight when the lights are switched off.
When it is darker, and the lights are turned on, it gives the illusion that they are emissions from the lights

Edit: actually now that I am rewatching it there is something else going on under some road lights. Some yellow hue is also layered on some parts when it is night time. An you can also see the traffic lights "affecting" the road with green or red hues.
NOT all of it is baked. The brighter parts of the roads are. Then there is another layer of lighting on top that represent emissions from light sources like car, road lights and traffic lights. In general the environment lighting is fully baked. And it is expected considering the hardware of the 00's. But light sources do emit some kind of light on the nevironment.
View attachment 11630

edit2: Considering that the XBOX and PC versions are probably the same, I also found something interesting.
Some effects are missing from the XBOX versions which I think this counts for PC. Left one is PS2. There is an extra reflective effect from the car lights.
View attachment 11629
It might actually be this version they are porting. It's basically the PS2 version but higher resolution texture and seems motion blur turned/blue filter off. Also seems the env map on the cars is different. Same models by the looks of it. Win 9x Verizon. I guess we won't know until we get a closer look at the hands.

It might actually be this version they are porting. It's basically the PS2 version but higher resolution texture and seems motion blur turned/blue filter off. Also seems the env map on the cars is different. Same models by the looks of it. Win 9x Verizon. I guess we won't know until we get a closer look at the hands.
I do hope there is a version on PC that is closer to the PS2 version and they are using that. Otherwise if they are using one with the higher geometry and textures a lot of work will be wasted

If they are using the decompilation project, they are using stock assets so the same as the original pc release
Later on people ported the higher poly assets to PC but that is a mod.

What causes parts to draw and disappear, like the amp? I know in some older sprite consoles, HW sprites would get shared across sprites and they'd share draw time, but here there doesn't seem any similar obvious reason for the minimap to get partially drawn.

What causes parts to draw and disappear, like the amp? I know in some older sprite consoles, HW sprites would get shared across sprites and they'd share draw time, but here there doesn't seem any similar obvious reason for the minimap to get partially drawn.
That looks like depth issue to me. It's like every now and then the ground or whatever is behind gets drawn in front of it. It wasn't uncommon to see in some dc emulator early on.

The main issue with this port ( finally looked into it) is it being very console unfriendly because it's pc( direct 8/ opengl 2). Basically the main complaint it's how it's allocated the memory in relation to the 3d portion. Then also all the math functions ( which are important to the 3d drawing) are written in c ( and some described it as slow c to boot), which means they take absolutely no advantage of any of the sh4 unique features . Even if the textures get resized dynamically to 32x32 it's still loading thousands ( not hundreds) of textures. So it's like a thought, pc version port it's probably worse case scenario. It's a miracle it even boots( it was literally the PC version running on dc). Things need to be overhauled to better take advantage on dc, not an easy task for 1 person.

Back