Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

I mean the game on PS2 runs sub 20 FPS most of the time so it should be worse on the Dreamcast, not that it is butter smooth on PS2 either

This regta3 is way more resource hungry than the original game so let's see how far he can get with it.

I've just watched some frame rate videos of the PS2 version on YouTube and it's a hard disagree with your comments about PS2's frame rate being sub 20fps most of the time.

It's not a solid 30fps by any means, but is much better then you make it out to be.

If we use the intro sequence which is what the DC footage is.

My PS2 may be broken because I've been playing it today and the framerate is all over the place .

It hardly reaches 30 FPS.

Edit:I watched the video and I highly doubt of the accuracy of that measurement you can see heavy drops and yet the frame counter says 30 FPS... Glad I have eyes.

My PS2 may be broken because I've been playing it today and the framerate is all over the place .

Edit:I watched the video and I highly doubt of the accuracy of that measurement you can see heavy drops and yet the frame counter says 30 FPS... Glad I have eyes.
Yeah, the gta series wasn't great running on ps2. It seemed to hover more into the 20s. Xbox seemed way more solid. I was so surprised when they added the fingers on there, but not san andreas, lol

Plus there's no point in comparing the fps on an incomplete port by one guy till atleast he's finished and says that's all he could get out of it, lol

Another video discrediting your original claim of "sub 20 FPS most of the time "

Variable? Yes.

Sub 20 FPS most of the time? No.

I have no idea why some of you are so hasty to be excited about the GTA3 port on the DC at the current broken state that it is running.
Textures are broken, meshes are broken, framerate is garbage, there are no effects, there is not a single gameplay sequence.

Better wait and see when it reaches a satisfactory state. We have nothing to make any proper assessment yet.

Some give the impression that they believe every PS2 game can be ported on the DC and run identically or close to identical.

I understand the nostalgia, hope and devotion to the console, but its been more than 20 years. We can put aside our teenage console warriors and have proper discussions like adults based on reality, not wishful thinking.

I have no idea why some of you are so hasty to be excited about the GTA3 port on the DC at the current broken state that it is running.
Textures are broken, meshes are broken, framerate is garbage, there are no effects, there is not a single gameplay sequence.

Better wait and see when it reaches a satisfactory state. We have nothing to make any proper assessment yet.

Some give the impression that they believe every PS2 game can be ported on the DC and run identically or close to identical.

I understand the nostalgia, hope and devotion to the console, but its been more than 20 years. We can put aside our teenage console warriors and have proper discussions like adults based on reality, not wishful thinking.

Well it's not even about that. This has all kinds of overhead . It's using homebrew libraries, using PC assets ( nothing optimized for DC), using homebrew reversed renderware engine meant for pc and it's being ported by 1 person who most likely not intending to go start to finish. Yet here it is running on this machine. That's why at this point it seems irrelevant to even bother asking can it handle the full experience. The answer seems a very likely yes. Seems like the studio lead answer for commercial reasons ring true

Look at digital foundry PS2 frame rate for GTA 3. Basically runs 23 to 30 fps with bad frame pacing. With the heavier sequels being worse it seems

None has said that, DC couldn't ever match the best PS2 games or games that took advantage of it's hardware, those would be to we downgraded to fit the DC capabilities, the same way games like RE4 from GameCube had to be literally halved in scene complexity to run on PS2, or Splinter Cell from Xbox had major downgrades to fir on PS2.

On the other hand what I see is people having difficulty to accept that the DC died prematurely and could have been squeezed more just like the rest of the consoles of that generation...

Oh and yeah seeing GTA3 even with broken graphics and 7 FPS on DC is huge 1 because it done with homebrew tools and one person and not a multi billion production with hundreds of developers working in the most successfully console ever, and 2 because going by some comments in this thread it shouldn't even boot since the DC is shitm

None has said that, DC couldn't ever match the best PS2 games or games that took advantage of it's hardware, those would be to we downgraded to fit the DC capabilities, the same way games like RE4 from GameCube had to be literally halved in scene complexity to run on PS2, or Splinter Cell from Xbox had major downgrades to fir on PS2.

On the other hand what I see is people having difficulty to accept that the DC died prematurely and could have been squeezed more just like the rest of the consoles of that generation...

Oh and yeah seeing GTA3 even with broken graphics and 7 FPS on DC is huge 1 because it done with homebrew tools and one person and not a multi billion production with hundreds of developers working in the most successfully console ever, and

If you all you are impressed with is someone's homebrew skills, not anything related to DC's capabilities being demonstrated, then sure. At this moment there is literally nothing shown in relation to the latter

2 because going by some comments in this thread it shouldn't even boot since the DC is shitm
That's a stretch

Well it's not even about that. This has all kinds of overhead . It's using homebrew libraries, using PC assets ( nothing optimized for DC), using homebrew reversed renderware engine meant for pc and it's being ported by 1 person who most likely not intending to go start to finish. Yet here it is running on this machine. That's why at this point it seems irrelevant to even bother asking can it handle the full experience. The answer seems a very likely yes. Seems like the studio lead answer for commercial reasons ring true
And that's exactly what I am referring to. There is literally nothing that can be concluded based on what is shown. Nothing rings true or false. There is barely anything running yet. You can though marvel someone's attempt to port it at this stage.

4-6 fps by a single persversing engineering something not made to be DC from the beggining. Even if they can achieve to run it decently on DC you Will have always an excuse.

You do know I've said DC can run a 3D based GTA game on multiple occasions right?

Your bias seems to be hindering you and your opinions.

1: The coder has done what we've seen so far in less than a week.

2: it does have effects (you can see the smoke and even the street lamps.

3: it gets to gameplay, they literally get in the car and start driving.

4: coder fixed alot of the clipping last night.

5: like was said before, this is one person porting with indie tools, from a PC version that has higher quality assets than the ps2, fully unoptimized in less than a week. It will only get better, and if they end up getting others on board, it has the potential to be arguably better than the ps2 original; maybe not in heavy effects, but performance, picture, and texture quality. Never know till we see it actually happen.

I swear this game could be running at 120fps, and 1 pixel off, "DC can't do this game 1 to 1, so therefore it's not the same game or experience " 🤣💀

5: like was said before, this is one person porting with indie tools, from a PC version that has higher quality assets than the ps2, fully unoptimized in less than a week. It will only get better, and if they end up getting others on board, it has the potential to be arguably better than the ps2 original; maybe not in heavy effects, but performance, picture, and texture quality. Never know till we see it actually happen.
Again, if you are impressed with the coder's skills, feel free to do so. If you find this impressive as it is in terms of what the Dreamcast outputs, I have no words.
This is a far cry from even running anything yet that can be called a game. Wait until we have something better.
I swear this game could be running at 120fps, and 1 pixel off, "DC can't do this game 1 to 1, so therefore it's not the same game or experience " 🤣💀
How is this even an argument when it is not even at a level that is presentable? We are reserved until we see something that is at a level where we can make better conclusions and discuss with better evidence at hand.
Yes we are open to the possibility that a version of GTA on DC could be made. But this assurance about DC's powers and accusations towards those who are reserved considering it's current state, make no sense.
It's like forcing an artificial console war debate, instead of having a mature conversation like adults.

I wouldn't hold my breath, the Dreamcast will have a hard time just rendering the game and managing the logic and audio id be happy if he manages to get the game running north 10 FPS.

About all the things you said. We have nothing concrete about how well the game can run nor how far it can get even if he has help.
Everything i said? So, they didn't get in the car and start driving? So, this isn't an unfinished port started by one coder in less than a week? So, there are no effects on screen? Riiiigghhht...

Back