Could Dreamcast et al handle this/that game/effect? *DC tech retrospective *spawn

At this pace we're gonna see it rendered fully in no time!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240715_035318_Discord.jpg
    Screenshot_20240715_035318_Discord.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 12
I am curious to see how it performs on actual hardware, emulators are far from accurate.

Also I've seen the Dreamcast glitching the tile renderer when you push too many polygons on screen (by modding games) and there is no emulator that can replicate that.

For instance I increased the Draw distance in crazy taxy to the max, the console surprisingly still runs at the same framerate as the vanilla version but the moment it draws double the polygons on screen the tile renderer starts to glitch and the console even freezes, in other games it just glitches until less polygons are on screen I could record some gameplay to illustrate what I mean. ( Or Maybe my console is just dying lol)

Maybe @TapamN knows more about what may be the cause, also it may seem like a stupid question but is there a way to disable that tile rendering and the independent order translucent in the console? I think specially the latter slows down rendering a lot when there are transparencies near the camera.

Last edited:
I am curious to see how it performs on actual hardware, emulators are far from accurate.

Also I've seen the Dreamcast glitching the tile renderer when you push too many polygons on screen (by modding games) and there is no emulator that can replicate that.

For instance I increased the Draw distance in crazy taxy to the max, the console surprisingly still runs at the same framerate as the vanilla version but the moment it draws double the polygons on screen the tile renderer starts to glitch and the console even freezes, in other games it just glitches until less polygons are on screen I could record some gameplay to illustrate what I mean. ( Or Maybe my console is just dying lol)

Maybe @TapamN knows more about what may be the cause, also it may seem like a stupid question but is there a way to disable that tile rendering and the independent order translucent in the console? I think specially the latter slows down rendering a lot when there are transparencies near the camera.
Yeah, someone was talking about testing it on HW, and i think the coder said something about it. I'll have to look it up.

The glitches you are related to how much memory is dedicated to geometry. Since your just modding the game and not changing any code values related to geometry storage its very possible your causing overflows in vertex buffers they only allocated but so much memory. for example try grandia 2 debug on real hw , they didnt leave much memory for polygons after 24k triangles( according to their stats) it will start to glitch the heck out. I do find it surprising doubling distance does not cause framerate to dip , so its strictly memory issue? You have a screenshot? that be an interesting mod.

Therre other glitches similar on kos , its also memory related but on a lower level i dont quite understand. I believe is some setting relating to size per tile and that can overflow an glitch out(pvr bin size?) . Ask tapamn he knows way more.

Last edited:
It doesn't kill it, but it does show there's way too many assumptions people are making on what this shows. Once the assets are refactored for DC it might well fit the ordinary console, but there's zero way to objectively extrapolate what's on show to what the final incarnation could have been.

"It currently needs the 32MB mod" - So that kills any argument of it being able to run on a DC then 👀

View attachment 11619
So from fps to memory. I take it you were the only who didn't know it ran only on 32 MB modded ram dc? Vram still the same though. The current issue is that the it loads a shit ton of textures and they are all pc class textures that haven't been reduced to dc levels yet. From I heard in it current form it runs slight more than 16 mb of ram for assets + executable.

It doesn't kill it, but it does show there's way too many assumptions people are making on what this shows. Once the assets are refactored for DC it might well fit the ordinary console, but there's zero way to objectively extrapolate what's on show to what the final incarnation could have been.
They are all pc txd textures and not compressed in vq or even in DC format. And it's hundreds loaded into memory . It's inevitable at this stage which they are just focused on getting it to run. It really is in its infancy.

Exactly. We just gotta wait, but of course this project seems very promising!

They are all pc txd textures and not compressed in vq or even in DC format. And it's hundreds loaded into memory . It's inevitable at this stage which they are just focused on getting it to run. It really is in its infancy.

Even with people trying to get you to understand it doesn't mean anything in relation to DC's ability you still refuse to accept it.

What I hate sometimes in such discussions, not just here but in other online spaces, is that, some people are still living in the past. Still hoping that their favorite console will prove the "haters" and the "naysayers" wrong after all these years. All the discussion is revolving around fulfilling that hope, not around the available information at hand.

Back