Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

One covering the same info has already been linked. The meetings from January were missed because Boris was focussed on Brexit and the virus wasn't showing itself to be a massive problem outside of China at that point. The model they used were based on the expectation of known diseases. How the hell could you expect anyone to correctly guess this virus's unique behaviour?!
The answer to this belongs to the RPSC-portion of the forum

It does? Surely it'd be based on science and epidemiology and the data coming out of China? Is it religion or politics that explains how we could guess the virus would have a large asymptomatic population?

It does? Surely it'd be based on science and epidemiology and the data coming out of China? Is it religion or politics that explains how we could guess the virus would have a large asymptomatic population?
Facts have little room when media is having a field day, I already put my answer in the RPSC thread :)

If they had bought in loads of resources for an epidemic that never happened, you or someone else would be calling them incompetent for wasting tax-payers money.

Incompetency is knowing the right thing to do and failing miserably. In this case, no-one knew the right thing to do. Hell, we still don't, because we can't get a handle on how the disease spreads and who's at risk. We don't even know if lockdown helps - we're watching Asia to see if the disease flairs up or can be contained. So no-one should be blamed for getting things wrong when no-one bar a psychic could know what needed to be done.

Don't presume that you can judge my views. I would never claim incompetence if a government spent on resources to deal with a potential pandemic providing there was credible risk, whether they were ultimately needed or not. The WHO declared a global emergency at the end of January, so you'll never convince me that a failure to take the threat seriously throughout February was anything but incompetence as we knew the virus was spreading through our country.

Lockdown clearly works. It's obvious that if you shut down transmission, you shut down the disease. It's the most extreme way of dealing with things, but it obviously works. New Zealand have done pretty well in this regard, albeit from a low level starting point.

Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong show that it is possible to keep a lid on the spread of the virus using social distancing, testing and contact tracing. Whether or not this is sustainable in the longer term is what needs to be discovered. The current surge in Singapore is apparently in dormitories for foreign construction workers who the authorities obviously didn't give enough consideration to. Pretty foolish when you consider how well they have otherwise done. It goes to show that you have to consider all transmission risks if you're going to operate that particular policy which, I imagine, is what we'll all be doing when the lockdowns are lifted.

The WHO declared a global emergency at the end of January, so you'll never convince me that a failure to take the threat seriously throughout February was anything but incompetence as we knew the virus was spreading through our country.
the WHO declared H1N1 an international pandemic. The UK bought vaccine. Then we had newspapers reporting the incompetency of the government for wasting UK taxpayers' money because that vaccine proved unnecessary in the end:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uks-1bn-swine-flu-blunder-left-20m-vaccines-unused-6487166.html
British taxpayers footed a £1.2 billion bill to fight a swine flu pandemic that never matched the dire predictions, an official report revealed today. The independent review of the Government's response found that health officials spent hundreds of millions of pounds on drugs which were never used.​

So now, the next big epidemic, instead of wasting taxpayers' money on treatments and preparations that wouldn't ever be used like last time, the Government instead followed the spread of the disease assuming it could be contained the same as other disease, the same as much of the world believed, because there was zero evidence that it couldn't be contained. As for spreading through the country through February, we didn't know it was spreading through the country. Containment procedures and testing showed those with the disease were isolated, which should have stopped the disease spreading. All the infections up until the first of March were from contacts and visitors. It wasn't until the 1st of March with the case in Haselmere that there was any sign of uncontrolled spread. That was the first case without direct contact with another. No-one anywhere knew or could have known there were asymptomatic people spreading it, and possibly even infected people testing negative during the containment phase.

Lockdown clearly works. It's obvious that if you shut down transmission, you shut down the disease.
Of course, but as a long term solution we don't know if it'll stay down or flair up. It's not possible to lockdown until the disease has died out, so how long can people lock down for and what happens afterwards? That's all unknowns. And up until the end of February, it appeared the disease was being contained. A week into March, you might start thinking about lockdown, but then you need to have a decent argument why. What's the long term goal? To lock everyone down until the disease is gone, or what?

Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and Hong Kong show that it is possible to keep a lid on the spread of the virus using social distancing, testing and contact tracing. Whether or not this is sustainable in the longer term is what needs to be discovered.
Exactly. There's lots still to be discovered! The biggest issue is testing, not just running adequate amounts of tests but the virus's difficulty in obtaining accurate, meaningful results. And without that data, no-one can determine correct policy. You can only guess, and you may guess right or wrong, but you can only guess when the problem isn't properly understood. And given that we still don't understand the problem now fully, approaching the end of April, how could anyone have known the right thing to do back at the end of January?

I won't say the government is faultless; clearly better testing could have been done in terms of numbers of tests. But a lot of the criticism is based on hindsight and knowledge that did not exist at the beginning of February and could not exist at the beginning of February, and even then, what would be different? We'd have locked down two weeks early, and then...unlocked two weeks earlier? To what ends? Death rate would be lower until everyone leaves their homes again in the middle of April, say, and then the disease just starts spreading again. What then? Another lockdown? Starting when? How long for?

We likely wouldn't have the infrastructure in place for Asian-like localised tracking and containment because they prepared for this years earlier due to SARS. Have any other Western nations got an app for finding who nearby has been infected? Coronavirus is 'round 2' for those that were hit by SARS, but 'round 1' for those that weren't, so they shouldn't be compared like for like. Governments can only act on sane analysis of the facts and data, and the facts and data didn't point to anything out of the ordinary.

If that's not true, if there were clear markers for things like UK containment procedure failing before the 1st March, or clear evidence that this time, unlike H1N1, preparations would be needed, what were they?

Last edited:
Sorry for the ultra long post beforehand.
So all this is very new information to me, and I don't really know what do think of it yet.
I actually verified on most of the info (not all) I'm putting in here, and it seems to check out so far.

I calculated and is something like 100 times more than confirmed cases.

Dr. Wong (brazilian MD) say at 11:30 that chinese autorities statistically identified 60% of people with antibodies in Wuhan.
See this interview (portuguese language):
Which means 6.6 million people with antibodies for about ~70.000 confirmed in Wuhan.
1 x 100

The MIT Technology Review in the Instagram says that in one german city one in seven has antibodies. If you believe this is true for the entire country than it means 13 million people with antibodies for 140.000 confirmed.
1 x 100

Take care!
After watching your video, he says that the lockdown doesnt do much. Lockdown worked very well in Italy -people in Italy are starting to relax a little, hope they dont get too confident- and Spain, deaths are record low now and new cases are decreasing. Maybe social distancing could work in Brazil and other countries, the incidence there is lower, but those measures alone dont do much...at least here.

I've been seeing the same theories by epidemiologists in Portugal. I don't know how automatic close captions work from Portuguese to English, but that's an interview/monologue I highly recommend if you find a way to understand him. If not, I'd try his written essay that should be easier to translate.

He mostly points to euromomo's results, that counts Europe's deaths:

zHrGCwf.png

1 - Throughout the years, the biggest killer of population is the seasonal flu. Every year, Europe goes from a traditional 50 000 deaths / week towards up to 70 000 deaths / week when the seasonal flu peaks during the winter.

2 - The last two seasonal flus were very mild on mortality rates (winters of 2019 and 2020).

3 - The mortality rate of coronavirus isn't worse than a typical Influenza peak. This mortality peak happened in week 12 of 2020, that's the 3rd week of March, and the mortality rate has been free-falling ever since.

Now, what we can take from here:

- Mortality peak happening in the 3rd week of March points to contagions that happened 1 or 2 weeks before that.
This means the peak of new contagions happened in the half of March, before lockdowns were in place in any European country. Therefore there's no actual proof that the government-mandated lockdowns had any influence in decreasing the mortality rate.

- Due to the last two seasonal flus killing very few people, we had a lot of weakened people (that statistically were expected to die from the flu - e.g. elders over 80 with pre-existing pulmonary issues) still alive because the flu didn't get to them. This means we had an extraordinarily large portion of weak population in the beginning of 2020, which added to coronavirus' mortality rates.

- A contagion peak happening in the beginning of March with free-falling contagions happening 2 weeks later points to herd immunity already happening in Europe in the middle of March -> again, before most European governments issued lockdowns.

Now other stuff he adds:

- Virological tests don't tell us if the person was infected in the past. It only tells us the virus is present in our system on a large scale. People who are in the first stages of infection, who are in late recovery or had the virus in the past, don't test positive. There are even reports of people with symptoms who test negative, and then test positive when they're recovered. So far, we've only used virological tests on large scale.
What we need is serological tests, which detect the specific antibodies for the virus, but they don't exist yet. A prototype serological test with approximate 50% of chance of detection was tested in Germany, where it tested positive for 13% of the population (again: a test that gives positive on 50% of positive individuals gave 13% of positive antibodies on the control population of a German city).

- Most viral infections in Europe die out until week 19 (this week BTW), because in April there are more sunny days that kill the viruses through UV rays.

- In Portugal, the coronavirus is expected to kill close to 1000 people all around (we are counting people who die from corona and the people with other conditions who die with corona so these numbers are as jacked up as possible). During the winter of 2017, we had 3000 deaths from the seasonal flu in Portugal.

- The average age of patients who die from coronavirus is above the life expectancy in Portugal. Again: we had more living flu survivors in 2020 than usual.

- Northern Italy (Lombardy) and Wuhan are known for terrible air pollution, and very high mortality associated with respiratory diseases every year.Therefore, a virus that attacks the respiratory system (like Influenza and Coronavirus) is deadlier in those regions.

- The declared state of emergency by governments and the declaration of Pandemic by the WHO puts into action three sets of policies on most European countries:
a) all coronavirus patients must be treated in a central hospital to avoid further contagion on the population and guarantee that patients are being treated in a place with proper equipment (i.e. ventilators)
b) all medical and transport personnel must now use additional protection equipment.
c) Dead bodies of victims of coronavirus must be handled and cremated on site and not transported anywhere

From a), this means that central hospitals got overwhelmed very fast, because the virus takes a long time to heal compared to the flu (about 2 weeks) and a very large percentage of the population was already infected when they implemented the policy. This is also worsened by b), because the additional safety measures mean health professionals in these hospitals take more time to perform any action, so they loose more time to treat any patient.
There's a chance that a) and b) increased the mortality of the virus

As for the vans carrying bodies away from hospitals and crematories / funerary agencies being overwhelmed in e.g. Lombardy (and I'd guess New York too), it all comes down to a) and c). The crematories and funerary agencies that are overwhelmed are the ones next to central hospitals, because all the others are closed down. 91 year-old Patient A who lives 50 km away from a central hospital gets infected with coronavirus, must travel 50 km to that hospital and then he dies from the virus. Then because of c) his family can't bring his body back to their town to be buried or cremated.
Now imagine 200 Patient As coming in to central hospitals every day and dying, and chaos ensues. Cremation ovens must now cremate the bodies of most people within a 50 km radius, when in normal conditions most of them would be redirected somewhere else and others would have preferred a casket burying. Funeral services must be short and on site because most deaths became centralized. All this while all the crematories and funerary agencies that aren't next to a central hospital have no activity at all.

That assumes the antibody tests are accurate and the PCR tests were missing a truck load of positives.
As I explained above, there are no antibody (serological) tests in the field. There are only virological tests, which do miss a truck load of positives.
I wasn't aware of this until recently. Antibody tests take a much longer time to develop than virological tests (which AFAIK only test positive for a substantial presence of the virus in your mucosis). Most people without symptoms will test negative, regardless of having been infected or not. There are people who test negative with symptoms, and then test positive a week later.

I don't see how 50x infection rate can be reconciled with the other data points, and your maths only works in isolation. It'd be good if true, making Covid19 no more dangerous than flu but far more contagious, but that level of contagiousness and that proportion of asymptomatic cases doesn't fit the rest of the puzzle pieces.

Again, we have examples like the Italian town where everyone was tested, and 50% had no symptoms. That's completely different results to these antibody tests suggesting maybe 90% are mild/asymptomatic.

So how do you reconcile the info? What's you're theory in how it all fits together?

Again, this is all explained by the fact that the Italian town only did the virological tests. I guess they were actually lucky that they could find that many positives.

Last edited by a moderator:
As I explained above, there are no antibody (serological) tests in the field. There are only virological tests, which do miss a truck load of positives.
Google suggests 30% false negative from PCR testing. That's not enough to account for the theorised 50x more infected.

I wasn't aware of this until recently. Antibody tests take a much longer time to develop than virological tests (which AFAIK only test positive for a substantial presence of the virus in your mucosis). Most people without symptoms will test negative, regardless of having been infected or not.
If it can be a majority of people tested being missed, why on earth was the WHO saying test test test? Like, if testing is going to miss 90% of people, what's the point? If it was always going to miss people and fail to enable containment, why was it ever presented as a solution?

I can agree with it not being perfect, but it can't be that bad; it has to be more reliable than not. And on the flip side, the serological tests are currently very inaccurate, even worse than the PCR tests, so there should be less reason to trust those numbers than the PVR testing.

- Mortality peak happening in the 3rd week of March points to contagions that happened 1 or 2 weeks before that.
This means the peak of new contagions happened in the half of March, before lockdowns were in place in any European country. Therefore there's no actual proof that the government-mandated lockdowns had any influence in decreasing the mortality rate.
How is the data being aggregated? Is the peak a measurement for Europe overall?
Propagation time is non-zero, and there are variables such as geographic distance and the resources available in the successive regions where the virus took hold. What is the definition of lockdown being used? There were municipal and regional restrictions in northern Italy prior to March, for example which may confound the analysis. Also, is the claim that no other measures like travel restrictions or other means of slowing propagation occurred until mid-March?

edit:
Also, is peak a measure of fatalities or a measure of infection? Whether a locale's health services are overrun, and the timing of reinforcements can change things since the death rate is much higher once that threshold is reached. That number may not sync well with what the continent-wide spread is.

Last edited:
Google suggests 30% false negative from PCR testing. That's not enough to account for the theorised 50x more infected.
In the UK AFAIK there are no asymptomatic people taking tests just because. They tested people with symptoms, some people who were in contact with known positives and a limited number of health professionals. Most of those 30% false negatives refer mostly to people with symptoms.

I can agree with it not being perfect, but it can't be that bad; it has to be more reliable than not.
Virological tests are reliable at doing what they propose to do: detect a substantial amount of the virus in the mucosis.
They don't propose to detect whether you've had the virus or not.

And on the flip side, the serological tests are currently very inaccurate, even worse than the PCR tests, so there should be less reason to trust those numbers than the PVR testing.
There are no final serological tests because they take a lot more time to develop. There are only low-fidelity prototype candidates that are obviously not going to be deployed in any large scale.
No one is trusting any serological test at the moment, nor should they.

How is the data being aggregated?
https://www.euromomo.eu/methods/objectives.html
Number of deaths reported in 24 European countries. The system is updated weekly.
Mortality the hardest number to manipulate in a democratic country AFAIK.

Is the peak a measurement for Europe overall?
Pretty much, but you can see the countries that enter the data at the bottom of the picture.

What is the definition of lockdown being used?
Schools and parks closed, restaurants closed, concert halls closed, malls closed, any non-essential services closed, etc.
Those were AFAIK widely adopted by European governments between the second and third weeks of March, at least as told by our news.
The UK had a small delay relative to the others (what, 2 days between Boris Johnson announcing they'd wait for herd immunity and then doing a 180?), but it shouldn't matter much when looking at the whole continent's picture.

There were municipal and regional restrictions in northern Italy prior to March, for example which may confound the analysis.
AFAIK there were not many (2 or 3 towns closed for land traveling), but regardless Lombardy has a population of 15 Million and these numbers refer to a population of close to 500 million.
I have a colleague who took a Milan -> Porto / Portugal flight in February 24th, which was a monday, right after the weekend when the thing took off in Lombardy (where Milan is located BTW). I remember it was later during that week that some towns were closed down due to reports of a high infection rate.
I was going to a conference that was going to start March 2nd and AFAIR the flight I was going to take the day before wasn't cancelled.

. Also, is the claim that no other measures like travel restrictions or other means of slowing propagation occurred until mid-March?
On a larger scale, air travel restrictions were only implemented between the second and third weeks of March.
I have a sister-in-law who took a standard commercial flight from Portugal to Switzerland in March 13th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mortality the hardest number to manipulate in a democratic country AFAIK.
Mortality has a significant multiplier once local hospital capacity is exceeded, which can weaken it as a proxy for the overall spread of a pandemic. Another confounding factor can be the demographics of the successive regions, which would be difficult to capture with totals.
Actions to reinforce the medical centers in hard-hit regions, or increasing resources so that fewer municipalities are overwhelmed can change the fatality rate independent of the infection rate.

AFAIK there were not.
I have a colleague who took a Milan -> Porto / Portugal flight in February 24th, which was a monday, right after the weekend when the thing took off in Lombardy (where Milan is located BTW).
I'm going by wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Italy_coronavirus_lockdown and articles like this: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...-bid-to-slow-spread-of-coronavirus-2020-03-22

Localized municipal restrictions started in late February, and ratcheted up as time progressed.
School closures, closing large institutions, and social distancing seem to have been ramping up by March 8. Both the story and wiki cite March 9 as the point of national quarantine.
At least in that instance a binary lockdown/no-lockdown assessment would miss confounding factors. The same evaluation may be necessary for regions outside of Italy that could weaken the link between peak mortality and overall infection rate. Localized or incremental reactions started in Germany in late February as the initial cases were detected there. There's still insufficient accounting for why the fatality rate has varied as much as it has between regions, which can weaken the death rate as a proxy for the pandemic.

Ohio's numbers today, Confirmed: 12919 (up from 11602 ), Hospitalized: 2653 (up from 2565 ), and Deaths: 509 (up from 471 ).
CDC Expanded Cases and Deaths: 403 (up from 310 ), 18 (same as yesterday )
Confirmed Cuyahoga County: 1577 (Up from 1466 ).

Percentage increase: 11.35%, 3.43%, 8.07%
Raw increase: 1317, 88, 38

Ohio has total tests of 90,839 (up from 86,989) and tests per 1M population of 7,803 (up from 7,472) taken from https://coronavirus.ohio.gov/wps/portal/gov/covid-19/dashboards/key-metrics/cases and https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ [case numbers updated later]

The State of Ohio claims they are focusing on testing of the prison systems, so the massive increase in numbers is said to be from there, like the 3 facilities in Marion that started testing last Thursday.

The UK ONS weekly death rates are due for publication tomorrow which should give some sort of an indication as to how we're doing overall. The official figures now in excess of 16,000 deaths only record those in hospitals. The ONS figures will give an indication of what has been happening in the community as a whole. It is one statistic which, without providing a breakdown of Covid-19 deaths, shows how it is affecting the country overall, through direct and indirect means.

If it can be a majority of people tested being missed, why on earth was the WHO saying test test test? Like, if testing is going to miss 90% of people, what's the point? If it was always going to miss people and fail to enable containment, why was it ever presented as a solution?

This is only addressing a possible reason as to why the WHO would stress testing if we have the follow assumptions.
  • The WHO did not know how accurate the tests would be.
  • The WHO suspected the test were unlikely to catch the majority of cases.
Then, it's possible that the WHO pushed the message of TEST TEST TEST in order to reduce public panic. Regardless of whether the testing was sufficient in detecting a majority of cases, it would give the public a sense of security knowing that testing was going on and that it would be able to track the spread of the virus.

If the death toll was climbing and the general public had no faith that any organization had a handle on the virus in any appreciable manner, then the possibility for panic sets in. If the general public went into full on panic mode, things could have rapidly spiraled out of control in regions that were the hardest hit which would have just made things so much worse.

That's IF the tests aren't catching 90% of infections and IF the WHO knew that. I'm also skeptical that the tests are so bad that they are missing 90% of infections.

Regards,
SB

To extend this theory to some known incidents where there is more knowledge of the number of infected and symptoms, we have multiple cruise ships, at least one American aircraft carrier, and incidents like a Washington choir outbreak:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/us/washington-choir-practice-coronavirus-deaths/index.html.

I've seen arguments that the cruise ship passengers skewing old could make estimates pessimistic, but an aircraft carrier's crew would be predominantly younger and healthier than average.
I think there were recent estimates of 60% of the infected on the carrier being asymptomatic, although there seems to be a fair amount of variability in the delay before symptoms manifest, and they can frequently manifest as very mild.
It seemed like once a full 2-4 weeks went by that a fraction of the asymptomatic would eventually note some minor symptoms, though a more full analysis would likely need more data and more time to account for many factors.

Can a 50x or greater ratio of infection than reported be reconciled with about 60% or less being asymptomatic? If symptoms are not present or that mild that reporting is that limited, what mechanism would explain tracked infection clusters like the church choir? A 50x multiplier would imply almost nobody showing symptoms (28 confirmed at time of writing, total of 45 out of 60 ill with something, 2 dead) or a choir of thousands of people.

This is only addressing a possible reason as to why the WHO would stress testing if we have the follow assumptions.
  • The WHO did not know how accurate the tests would be.
  • The WHO suspected the test were unlikely to catch the majority of cases.
The theorised fault rate woudl be endemic to PCR as a technology. It's not being cited as no good for SARS-CoV-2 as an exception.
Then, it's possible that the WHO pushed the message of TESTTEST TEST in order to reduce public panic. Regardless of whether the testing was sufficient in detecting a majority of cases, it would give the public a sense of security knowing that testing was going on and that it would be able to track the spread of the virus.
But then if the disease is actually only as bad as flu, this would be a catastrophic failure, lying to the public and leading to ridiculous society-changing actions. Similarly all the world's experts and epidemiologists who presumably know the testing limits given they're paid to know these things have mostly been backing the idea of the numbers being accurate. Clearly not all are in agreement as we keep getting conflicting reports, one minute telling us social distancing may last for years based on models, and the next telling us it's just flu and lockdowns aren't necessary. Which if nothing else shows how little is understood about what's going on, and why all such theories from zed, ToTz, etc. seem implausible because they are too simplistic such that you'd think the experts would pick upon the same.

If at the beginning of this disease, the experts were aware that PCR testing was grossly inaccurate, they wouldn't have trusted containment to work based on positive tests and would have just quarantined every known contact regardless.

2019 Novel Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19) for Dallas County Texas
https://www.dallascounty.org/departments/dchhs/2019-novel-coronavirus.php

April 20, 2020 - 2,512 confirmed cases - 60 deaths

2,512 confirmed cases up 84 over yesterday and no new deaths
those 84 new cases represent a 3.5% increase over the last day

Increases (by percent) over the last 25 days:
21.0%, 19.6%, 11.1%, 12.5%, 14.9%, 15.8%, 13.7%,
10.8%, 10.2%, 9.6%, 3.9%, 9.2%, 5.0%, 8.2%,
7.3%, 7.0%, 4.8%, 3.8%, 5.0%, 5.8%, 4.0%,
6.0%, 6.1%, 4.5% and now 3.5%

Increases (by count) over the last 25 days:
+64, +72, +49, +61, +82, +100, +100,
+90, +94, +97, +43, +106, +63, +108,
+105, +107, +79, +65, +89, +109, +80,
+124, +134, +104 and now +84

As of 10:00 am April 20, 2020, Dallas County Health and Human Services is reporting 84 additional positive cases of 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), bringing the total case count in Dallas County to 2,512. Of the 60 total deaths reported to date, over a third (38%) have been associated with long-term care facilities. Of cases requiring hospitalization, most have been either over 60 years of age or have had at least one known high-risk chronic health condition. Diabetes has been an underlying high-risk health condition reported in about a third of all hospitalized patients with COVID-19.

State of Texas complete COVID-19 data breakdown

75af1a2d-68d9-450a-9ce9-ccd60b8fbfe3.png

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ed483ecd702b4298ab01e8b9cafc8b83

Data as of 4/20/2020 @ 11:45 AM:

Total Tests: 190,394 (Up +7,684)
Cases Reported: 19,458 (Up +535)
In Hospitals: 1,411 (Down -60)
Patients Recovered (Estimated*) : 5,706 (Up +372)
Fatalities: 495 (Up +18)

Texas tests per 1M population are 6,828 which places Texas as the 3rd worst State. Only Virginia and Kansas are worse. Ohio is three places better at 7,803 per 1M population.

Click this link: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us
and on the page click the Tests / 1M pop column to sort from worst to first

Last edited:
Georgia Governor Allows Gyms, Salons, and Bowling Alleys to Reopen Friday as Coronavirus Cases Climb

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...friday-as-coronavirus-cases-climb/ar-BB12Wokc
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/g...friday-as-coronavirus-cases-climb/ar-BB12Wokc
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced on Monday that gyms, hair salons, nail salons, barbershops, and bowling alleys will be allowed to reopen in the state on Friday—even as the number of cases of coronavirus in the state to continue to rise.

The announcement comes even as top health officials maintain that the best way to prevent further spread of the virus at this stage of the pandemic is to continue enforced social distancing.

As of Monday, Georgia has recorded over 18,301 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and at least 637 deaths, according to a Johns Hopkins University tracker.

The governor, who cited the pandemic’s heavy toll on the state’s economy, said that some restaurants and movie theaters can reopen on Monday as long as they adhere to social-distancing guidelines. He also gave the greenlight to churches to hold in-person services.

Kemp has faced criticism for his delayed response to the outbreak, finally issuing a shelter-in-place order weeks after the first reported infections in the state. He also claimed on April 2 that he had only just found out that the virus could be transmitted by asymptomatic carriers.

“Those individuals could have been infecting people before they ever felt bad, but we didn’t know that until the last 24 hours,” the governor said, as he announced the statewide order.

The governor’s revelation, which he called a “game-changer,” shocked health officials who had been warning for weeks of the risk of those who could spread the disease without exhibiting any symptoms.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta called his remarks “inexcusable” in an interview with CNN, adding, “We’ve known this for a long time. To say that we’ve just found out in the last 24 hours and that’s why we’re doing this, this is just not right.”

As of Monday, Georgia has recorded over 18,301 confirmed cases of the coronavirus and at least 637 deaths so with "churches to hold in-person services" and gyms, hair salons, nail salons, barbershops, and bowling alleys opening long before the coronavirus has peaked we can look forward to those numbers expanding going forward.

The shutdown is a completely unsustainable way of flattening the curve, it's not like you can keep it going till herd immunity ... it's way way too slow. There would be riots in the street long before you get there. The shutdown was meant to get infections to decrease and allow contacting tracing and testing to work for total containment.

Flattening the curve and herd immunity are the same thing and they require social distancing measures which are more sustainable than an economic shutdown.

The numbers from the Ohio prisons is shockingly abysmal. A reporter during Monday's State of Ohio press conference said most of Monday's new cases was from the prison facilities, with nearly 800 at one facility and 200 at another.

Ohio’s Marion Correctional Institution is now the biggest single-source hotspot of coronavirus cases in the United States, The New York Times reported on Monday. More than 70 percent of inmates have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, state officials said late Sunday. To date, more than 471 people have died and 11,602 more have been infected with the virus across the state, according to the Ohio Department of Health. Of those infected, about 21 percent are in the state’s prison system—with a majority of that number, about 1,828 inmates, at Marion. State officials said Sunday that while there have been no reported deaths among the inmates, the 667 remaining prisoners who have not yet tested positive are now in quarantine.​

https://www.thedailybeast.com/more-...ion-in-ohio-have-tested-positive-for-covid-19

Back