Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

I'm not sure how what you have in quotes contradicts the position that vaccines primarily focus on avoiding serious illness and death?
If the "broader spread" in my statement is unclear, I my intended meaning was that broader spread in the body beyond the nasal tissues is what leads to serious illness and death, meaning that even if the initial point of infection is not optimally protected, the subsequent damage beyond is mitigated well enough.

I'm not sure where the total protection narrative would be derived from. The initial trials showed results that where the vaccines were significantly more effective than some expected, given examples like the influenza vaccine. However, they had non-zero infection rates and symptomatic cases. Some early test groups did have no deaths, but that wasn't expected to be the case generally.

I don't think enough is understood about the immune system. For instance, they're trying to determine the correlate of protection for covid.

Older vaccines, they have a pretty good idea and even decades later, they can measure titers of MMR vaccine-induced antibodies and say whether you're still protected.

They're trying to determine the same for covid and if it's a matter of having enough antibodies, they can say whether you're protected or you need boosters, etc.

You doxing yourself? Usually not a good idea to put your full name, DOB and approximate area on public forums. It just increases likelihood of identity theft.
Someone getting caught pretending to be me would save me a great deal of trouble, I'm probably not the best candidate for identity theft. ;)

True it started going up before euro 2020
Part of me is actually hoping they still go up, can you imagine the smugness of johnson et al if after last mondays opening where all doom and gloom was predicted from the opening and the cases actually went down, we will hear all this shit about experts were wrong (which will get put onto other stuff as well, like climate change)

Vaccines are rolling out quite quick here

Spain has a lot of cases now too.

What nobody seems to be able to explain is why cases fell in India. They still have low vaccinations and poor living conditions. Modi didn't impose country-wide restrictions, though maybe the provinces or state governments did?

Yup! I don't have a bank account or any credit or debit cards, what they gonna do to me?

The real threat of identity theft is not that they will access your existing accounts, but rather they will create new ones for which you might be held responsible. Even people with fairly bad credit can often get signed up for a credit card.

Glad to hear you're covid free.

The real threat of identity theft is not that they will access your existing accounts, but rather they will create new ones for which you might be held responsible. Even people with fairly bad credit can often get signed up for a credit card.

Glad to hear you're covid free.
True dat and I probably should worry more about it, but we keep pretty careful track of our finances/records/filings so I think we'd notice if something were amiss. (Well, my wife does.)

Anyone still remember how around march 2020 everybody (well reportedly some western countries anyway) were hoarding ventilators?

Crazy times. Don't know how this popped in my mind today.

Well my lungs were hurting when I was coughing on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning I had one cough and lungs weren't hurting.

So going to go through the time frame of the virus to help those that might get it.

Monday 12th July, night at around 7pm: I got hit by headache, fever, slight disorientation but could still smell, taste etc. I initially thought I might have the flu because it was damn cold(middle winter here in SA) and that I had eaten too much that day. Now according to the doctor, I would have picked up the virus 4 days before. This makes sense as I had gone into one of the sites to do some onsite work on Friday, 9th.
Tuesday 13th, feeling crappy, tired. I told my boss that I wasn't feeling well and decided to book an appointment with the doctor(still believing I might have flu). Doctor told me to go for C19 test which I did by noon. I was told I would get a response up to 24hrs later.
Wednesday 14th, feeling slightly better but still under the weather, coughing etc. Got told by doctor that I had C19 and that I needed to get medication which she would prescribe. I live alone so had to go and get some of the prescription from the doctor and the rest I got from the pharmacy(had to sit in my car and they brought it out to me). Started with the concoction prescribed by the doctor, Zinc capsules with other vitamins, Histacon, Mucolytic, cough syrup, Omeprazole, Sandoz-Azithromycin. Got told to stay hydrated and make sure I eat(which I wasn't doing to much of at this point). A hot bath in the mornings seemed to help keep me warm during the day. Freezing at night was not fun, had my heaters running almost 24/7 in my bedroom and computer room.
Thursday 15th, got hit again, my lungs felt like shit, coughing a lot, took the concoction in the morning after eating, had my bath but was still freezing, shivering throughout the day and night(another cold day). Got a lootcrate drop from a friend who sent me energy drinks with cookies, bread and a few other items. The energy drinks were amazing imo. Noticed that this point that my smell had gone.
Friday 16th through to Sunday 18th, took medical concoction, had warm baths during the day, kept hydrated, ate minimal. Tired all the time, coughing all the time, lungs felt crap. On the Sunday made a run to the local grocery, called them, told them that I had C19 and gave them a list of items I would like(mainly energy drinks), yogurt, bread, soup, eggs. I still had some other food at home so didn't order more. Paid using my debit card(tapping the machine) and got the groceries from the store. Wasn't required to go into the store, they brought everything out to me in my car.
Monday 19th to Wednesday 21 July: Took medical concoction, had warm baths during the day, kept hydrated, ate minimal. Tired all the time, coughing all the time, lungs felt crap. The warm baths in the mornings really seemed to help a lot. Was feeling much better by Wednesday night.
Thursday 22 July, woke up and it was freezing. SA was getting smashed by a cold front. Was shaking like hell throughout the day, even after a warm bath. The cold made my coughing worse, I was really tired, ate little, took concoction, kept hydrated. Took concoction. Felt like crap, tired, freezing. Then at around 3pm got told that the power would be off between 4pm and 8pm due to load shedding. Usually these last two hours. Power went off at 4pm and I immediately hopped into bed trying to stay warm. At 6pm the power never switched on, the power utility said they were having issues restoring power. I was shaking, freezing at this point in time, under blankets trying to stay warm. Coughing a lot, lungs felt like crap. Power eventually came back on sometime after 8pm but didn't notice as I was undercovers. Eventually noticed the room getting warmer due to the heater being on. Fell asleep at some point but woke up again at midnight coughing, feeling like crap. Made some food, drank some energy drinks. Eventually fell asleep sometime in the early morning at around 4am.
Friday 23 July, woke up around 10am feeling crap, coughing a lot. Cold. Had a warm bath, helped a lot. Made breakfast, had concoction. Stayed warm throughout the day which was still freezing. Went to bed tired and sore all over. Would wake up at around midnight and would eventually fall asleep at around 4-6am.
Saturday 24th through to Monday 26th, would wake up, make breakfast and sit in the sun soaking in the warm rays eating breakfast. Would sit like that for about an hour. Seemed to help a bit. Would have my concoction. Throughout the days just, stayed warm in my heated rooms. Felt better but still sore all other and coughing a lot.
Monday through to Wednesday I would have my concoction in the morning after breakfast which I would have in the sun. Have my warm bath, felt much better. I was through fighting with the virus.

Just wanted to note that throughout this time, I was in daily contact with the Doctor who was keeping tabs on me regarding my Oxygen levels with the Oximeter machine I was provided. My family and close friends also kept close tabs on me.

On Thursday made an appointment with the doctor, who gave me a check up, took some blood, gave my Vitamin B drip and more medicine including Histacon. Went through the weekend doing well but coughing.

Hit work yesterday morning, still coughing(I believe I will be coughing for a while yet). Need to make an appointment to get my vaccine shots in two weeks time.

Funnily enough, I had wanted to go for vaccine shots before I caught the virus but the local government wasn't allowing me to get the shots because I wasn't in the correct age group. Now I have to wait again before I can go get the vaccine shots.

Not a nice feeling people, get the vaccine. If you do get symptoms, get tested immediately and get the prescription concoction going as soon as possible. Hydrate and eat.

Good luck!

Sounds like a crappy couple of weeks which tallies with lots of reports I've read. So strange that some people get the virus and are asymptomatic whereas others suffer from the infection.

I hope your recuperation continues apace. The boost from the vaccine ought to give you really good protection against reinfection, especially if you had the Beta variant.

Back