Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

It hasn't been authorised for under-18s as yet. The JCVI is taking their time making the decision which, I expect, is due to the fact that we don't have the doses to vaccinate even all of the young adults yet. Also talk of needing autumn boosters for older people so perhaps they are thinking of keeping the mRNA vaccines on order for them?

Would have been helpful if the Novavax vaccine hadn't had production issues, that's for sure.

England in the Final, after a very tough game against the Danes. I seriously wonder just how many infections will occur tonight (both at the game in from people meeting to watch the game) and then again in 4 days time. With the UK government already giving the wink that everything is going to open up from 19th July, I don't doubt that many will ignore the regulations currently in place thinking 'Freedom is upon us!'. I expect a surge in infections in the UK in around a week and then a massive surge in 11 days.

Maybe it's not so bad in the stands of Wembley but when people go to the loos or bunch up as they enter or exit the stadium.

Then you have all these pub gatherings, both before an after matches.

674.3 cases per 100,000 in my local area now and that was before last night's football, so we're really going for it. I'd imagine it will be topping 1,000 per 100K in a week or so. I've just had to bring my daughter home from nursery because one of the kids she was there with earlier this week has tested positive so that's her isolating until next Friday. My sister (who I work with - she's fully vaccinated with Pfizer) is unwell with typical-sounding symptoms so she's just had a test. Looks as though we may need to close the office for the first time since Spring 2020 due to this fricking virus. Adults in the family are all fully-vaccinated except for my wife who is younger and has had 1 dose so it should hopefully be not too severe if we do get it. Hopefully, the kids should be OK. I've been anticipating something like this this happening at some point due to the idiocy in schools, so we'll just have to wait and see if it is our turn now or later.

My blood is boiling at the shambolic governance we've seen in this country since it all began.

674.3 cases per 100,000 in my local area now and that was before last night's football, so we're really going for it. I'd imagine it will be topping 1,000 per 100K in a week or so. I've just had to bring my daughter home from nursery because one of the kids she was there with earlier this week has tested positive so that's her isolating until next Friday. My sister (who I work with - she's fully vaccinated with Pfizer) is unwell with typical-sounding symptoms so she's just had a test. Looks as though we may need to close the office for the first time since Spring 2020 due to this fricking virus. Adults in the family are all fully-vaccinated except for my wife who is younger and has had 1 dose so it should hopefully be not too severe if we do get it. Hopefully, the kids should be OK. I've been anticipating something like this this happening at some point due to the idiocy in schools, so we'll just have to wait and see if it is our turn now or later.

My blood is boiling at the shambolic governance we've seen in this country since it all began.

Here in DK I don't blame the politicians for the increase in COVID...I blame the soccer-fans....you cannot fix stupid and it seems stupid and soccer attract each other.

Mass infection is not an option: we must do more to protect our young
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...)01589-0/fulltext#coronavirus-linkback-header

We believe the government is embarking on a dangerous and unethical experiment, and we call on it to pause plans to abandon mitigations on July 19, 2021.
Instead, the government should delay complete re-opening until everyone, including adolescents, have been offered vaccination and uptake is high, and until mitigation measures, especially adequate ventilation (through investment in CO2 monitors and air filtration devices) and spacing (eg, by reducing class sizes), are in place in schools. Until then, public health measures must include those called for by WHO (universal mask wearing in indoor spaces, even for those vaccinated), the Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (ventilation and air filtration), and Independent SAGE (effective border quarantine; test, trace isolate, and support). This will ensure that everyone is protected and make it much less likely that we will need further restrictions or lockdowns in the autumn

Oh man, abandoning mitigations on the 19th doesn't sound smart at all. Have they been seeing what's happening here? We cut the mitigations and our stats are all starting to go the wrong way again.

It's even worse over here as Delta is completely dominant everywhere so will really take off (well, even more than it already has) if people stop masking and distancing. The mixed messaging is already impacting vaccine take up rates among young adults who seem to be thinking it can't be all that serious if restrictions are going to be dropped in any case. I'd imagine a lot of them have already been infected with earlier varisnts and are under the mistaken assumption that they will be completely immune. Latest studies seem to indicate substantial escape by Delta for the antibodies from prior infections. The vaccines are holding up much better.

Some forecasts that, if we open up on 19th, there could be 10 million infections over the summer, which is a 7th of our population. That would be equivalent to over 40 million infections in the US over a couple of months!

You can tell our new 'Health' Minister is a devotee of Ayn Rand, can't you? He was a banker selling the sorts of derivatives which caused the crash back in 2008 and then later became Chancellor of the Exchequer which shows just how good he is at getting jobs at which he will be terrible!

Cases of people being infected with two variants simultaneously are being studied:

It is possible to catch two Covid variants at the same time, experts are warning after seeing a double infection in a 90-year-old woman who became sick with the Alpha and Beta types first identified in the UK and South Africa.

The woman, who died in March 2021 in Belgium, had not been vaccinated.

Her doctors suspect she contracted the infections from two different people.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57761343

In January 2021, scientists in Brazil reported that two people had been simultaneously infected with two types of coronavirus, one of them a variant of concern called Gamma.

Researchers from Portugal, meanwhile, recently treated a 17-year-old who appeared to have caught a second type of Covid while still recovering from a different, pre-existing Covid infection.

So the first infection didn't generate enough antibodies or other immune response to fight off infection by the second variant?

Or could this mean that natural infection doesn't provide enough protection against different variants. Or maybe while fighting off the first infection, the immune system isn't primed to fight off any other infections, but you'd think if this was the case, double-infections would be far more common than has been reported.

Does vaccination provide better protection against individual variants or multiple variant infections?

The Corona family includes both COVID-19 and ~20% of common cold is caused by a Corona virus
I fear we have to learn to live with this fucker, because the family is mutating quite a lot...in time it might (due to evolution) that COVID-19 will just be another "common cold", due to the virus mutating...and all the people with incufficient immune-response have been eliminated from the gene pool.

Rather different to the 'all steam ahead' message from the useless UK government. Restrictions all set to be lifted on the 19th. Legislation to require masking in indoor public areas will be dropped but the government is saying it will still be 'expected'.

Rather different to the 'all steam ahead' message from the useless UK government. Restrictions all set to be lifted on the 19th. Legislation to require masking in indoor public areas will be dropped but the government is saying it will still be 'expected'.

I don't get it....every expert says 80% vaccination rate for herd-immunity due to the Delta-variant...stumbling right before the finish line is FUBAR...

Back