Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

A novel approach in the UK:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57725523

TLDR. Think of it as the UK government saying, "We're opening up everything so everybody unvaccinated is going to catch Covid and that includes all your children. Most of them will probably be OK, but if not, it's your fault for not being careful. P.S. Long Covid? Never heard of it".

At least they are finally being open about aiming for 'Herd immunity' via infection and not vaccines. They let it slip during March 2020 then quickly denied it but we're back there again. It certainly explains why some of the handling of the pandemic has been so utterly incompetent over here. They really weren't trying hard to keep it in check. Fucking unbelievable, this lot.

Let's hope the millions of new cases coming in the UK this summer don't lead to a deadlier variant with more vaccine escape and worse outcomes.

Well, absent safe and effective vaccines, what other choice do we really have?

Wait a minute? Are you telling me that we do have safe and effective vaccines but just don't want to wait a little while until more people have protection?

Thinking about it a little further, the only thing I can think is that they perhaps know the supply of vaccines isn't going to hold up to enable us to vaccinate all younger people on schedule. I know there are fears of immunity waning for older folk as well. Nothing else makes any sense.

I saw also that they're opening 15 treatment centers for children with long covid.

It's strange decision because the govt. enjoys an electoral advantage. So even if they piss off people by making it difficult for them to travel this summer or have restrictions on any kind of activities, they're unlikely to suffer the next time they stand for election.

Well the South African government has deemed level 4 lockdown is necessary but funnily/tragically outdoor things seem to be banned but indoor bussines have had a relaxing of restrictions at least in how many people are aloud to enter said business.

Considering my bussines is outdoors related I'm pretty much shit out of luck.
It makes no sense to me, how can outdoor things be more restricted than indoor businesses but then again this isn't the first thing the government has done that makes no sense in fact I would be more surprised if what they did made sense.

And now the numbers in Denmark are one the rise again.
Thanks to muppet soccer fans throwing streets-parties....during a pandemic.
View attachment 5650
View attachment 5651

You cannot fix stupid...

Whether or not we beat you at football tomorrow night, I think we're beating you hands down with the football-related Covid spreading!

60,000 fans to be at Wembley tomorrow and for the Final. I reckon there will be perhaps 1,000 or 2,000 direct infections from those games plus many others afterwards. Not to mention the infections in pubs/bars around the countries.

Whether or not we beat you at football tomorrow night, I think we're beating you hands down with the football-related Covid spreading!

60,000 fans to be at Wembley tomorrow and for the Final. I reckon there will be perhaps 1,000 or 2,000 direct infections from those games plus many others afterwards. Not to mention the infections in pubs/bars around the countries.

Yeah...sound like a perfect senario for the Delta-variant to have "fun".

I hope nothing bad happens...but I learned a long time ago to never underestimate the stupid of soccder fans in large groups...

Our cretin of a new Health Minister Sajid Javid (key influence, and I shit you not, Ayn Rand) has accepted that infection rates may rise to more than 100,000 cases a day following the planned relaxation of regulations on 19th July. At the current rate of increase, we'll be reaching 100,000 infections per day within a week of 19th July as we're heading that way even without any relaxation! If we don't get closer to 200k daily cases during August, I'll be amazed. We're still talking about many millions of absolutely deliberate infections over the next few months which would indicate hundreds of thousands of cases of long covid, to varying degrees.

Remains to be seen how many hospitalisations and deaths will be caused, but we're talking hundreds and tens of thousands respectively, without a doubt. The are relaxing the regulations for care homes, which doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I assume people visiting those will be sensible enough to mask where necessary.
Fundamentally, a complete failing of the duty of care by the government to many hundreds of thousands of people, young and old, with compromised immune systems who will be given the choice of life-threatening exposure or self-isolation at home. Many of them have been stuck at home most of the time since the pandemic began and they deserved a competent government to protect them.

But Mariner when do you relax the restrictions? It can't be never, or can it? i.e. Do we have to be in some form of lockdown till 2100?
The vaccines seem good against the Johnson variant, somewhat good against the Modi variant and even worse against the others, there will be more variants coming, some where the vaccines are practically ineffective, then what?
What happens if this is a battle that can never be won, when do we accept covid is like the flu or common cold, it will always be with us.

Our cretin of a new Health Minister Sajid Javid (key influence, and I shit you not, Ayn Rand) has accepted that infection rates may rise to more than 100,000 cases a day following the planned relaxation of regulations on 19th July. At the current rate of increase, we'll be reaching 100,000 infections per day within a week of 19th July as we're heading that way even without any relaxation! If we don't get closer to 200k daily cases during August, I'll be amazed. We're still talking about many millions of absolutely deliberate infections over the next few months which would indicate hundreds of thousands of cases of long covid, to varying degrees.

Remains to be seen how many hospitalisations and deaths will be caused, but we're talking hundreds and tens of thousands respectively, without a doubt. The are relaxing the regulations for care homes, which doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I assume people visiting those will be sensible enough to mask where necessary.
Fundamentally, a complete failing of the duty of care by the government to many hundreds of thousands of people, young and old, with compromised immune systems who will be given the choice of life-threatening exposure or self-isolation at home. Many of them have been stuck at home most of the time since the pandemic began and they deserved a competent government to protect them.

Does make you wonder about the timing of the Hancock "resignation" doesn't it? Hancock, despite being useless in an uncountable number of ways, was fairly cautious about relaxing the rules and all of a sudden CCTV footage of him in a government building gets leaked somehow. Now we have Javid, who's definitely on the side of simply ditching every precaution possible and just letting Covid spread unchecked. The timing is suspicious.

All the tabloids seem to fucking care about is whether we can throw away masks and go on holiday. I mean, it pains me that it's been difficult the last year or so to go on holiday with my family - I'm missing time with them I won't get back - but it's not the end of the world. And why are people so fundamentalist about not wearing masks? In the great scheme of things it's a pretty minor inconvenience for 99% of the population, yet there are a hardcore minority who act like they're being asked to wear a hazmat suit every time they go out.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the US where vaccination rates are patchier than here in the UK. I see Missouri is already seeing a spike in cases and hospitalisation, and they have one of the lowest vaccination rates in the US.

Didnt they have the 'Test' Test a while ago in the cricket and found no increase (and as you know a test is over a much longer timescale than a football game). I don think these open air events are going to be major causes of spreading, its all the millions watching indoors in pubs that are far more likely to lead to an increase.
Though of course for a huge swath of the UK population any increase in deaths is a price worth paying to bring the cup 'home'

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.30.20249058v2.full
First and, as discussed in section 5.3, it shows that even in crowded area the outdoor risk is much less than indoor. From this point of view, it has to be noted that some decisions taken by public authorities could have appeared as absurd to the man in the street. This opinion just based on common sense is confirmed by the present study. Examples are very numerous ranging from the lockdown of open markets when indoor supermarkets were open to the public, or prohibition of a variety of outdoor sport and exercise. Let us point out that such lockdown and prohibition can have profound impact on health of citizen and economy.
Here during lockdown, larger shops could not open, so what they did was fence off 90% of the shop and thus force everyone into just a small area inside that shop, way to go, winning, you have to laugh :LOL:
or my fav disinfecting the sand on the beach by spraying huge amounts of chemicals on it. This actually angered me, same with trucks on the streets spraying the roads WTF, literally not helping apart from making the bugs more drug resistant, winning

Last edited:
But Mariner when do you relax the restrictions? It can't be never, or can it? i.e. Do we have to be in some form of lockdown till 2100?
The vaccines seem good against the Johnson variant, somewhat good against the Modi variant and even worse against the others, there will be more variants coming, some where the vaccines are practically ineffective, then what?
What happens if this is a battle that can never be won, when do we accept covid is like the flu or common cold, it will always be with us.

We could, you know, just wait a further month or even few weeks before relaxing restrictions. This would allow millions more young adults to receive a dose of vaccine (or become fully vaccinated). Kids are out of school on 23rd July so shouldn't be in a position to infect each other in such numbers from a couple of weeks after that date. Oh, and retain the mask mandate to help curtail the spread of the virus among the (mostly) unvaccinated. 'Herd immunity' by infection has obviously been the unwritten policy since they stopped kids masking up at schools back in the middle of May, just when Delta was really taking off. 640,000 children out of school in the past week due to reasons such as positive tests (around 60,000 of those, I think), isolation of their close contacts, closures of school years and school closures. My wife's smallish secondary school has 1 year group absent already and the numbers were almost high enough to send another group home last week. There have been absolutely no attempts to improve ventilation or air quality to reduce the infection rate in UK schools.

The Randian idiots in our government just want business to open up fully and haven't thought through the consequences of their actions. Shops and hospitality are likely to fully reopen on 19th - no restrictions in numbers, distancing. No requirement for masks. What will happen is that the sizable chunk of the populace who are too thoughtless, ignorant or conspiracy-theorist to keep wearing masks will spread the virus widely. The people working in retail and hospitality who tend to be younger won't be fully vaccinated, so will catch the virus, spread it further and then half the businesses will be forced to close due to lack of staff regardless!

Didnt they have the 'Test' Test a while ago in the cricket and found no increase (and as you know a test is over a much longer timescale than a football game). I don think these open air events are going to be major causes of spreading, its all the millions watching indoors in pubs that are far more likely to lead to an increase.

The test sporting and other events - the grandly-named, "Events Research Programme" - was a pretty useless piece of research, especially as it allowed the government to disingenuously claim it showed such events were "safe". The events were held in periods before Delta was widespread, when infection rates were very low, very few of those who attended took PCR tests before or after the events (just over a quarter, in fact) so true prevalence of infection at or caused by the events simply isn't known. Also, the LFTs are bloody useless at detecting infection at the best of times (we already have data that they are <50% effective at detecting asymptomatic infection when self-administered). Ultimately, it wasn't fit for purpose and not by chance, but by design. It wasn't a proper scientific study, just the thinnest veneer of one.

We know the England vs Scotland match led to a massive surge of infections in Scotland. England's progress in the tournament has almost certainly accelerated the course of the pandemic greatly. Not just because of the increasing numbers of fans at the stadia, but also due to people congregating together to watch the games and having stupid celebrations in the streets thereafter such as illustrated by HLJ above. Bill Shankly famously said football isn't a matter of life and death - it's more important than that. In this case, it really will be a case of life and death as hundreds or more likely thousands of deaths are likely to occur as a result of gatherings due to the games!

I'll still be watching tonight, of course, at home on my own. I've always hated watching football in pubs due to all the drunken wankers you get in them on matchdays!

And now the numbers in Denmark are one the rise again.
Thanks to muppet soccer fans throwing streets-parties....during a pandemic.
View attachment 5650
View attachment 5651

You cannot fix stupid...
Cdtr (europa.eu)
Mass gathering monitoring- Multi-country- UEFA European Football Championship 2020 (2021) Opening date: 3 June 2021 Latest update: 2 July 2021
Epidemiological summary
From 24 June to 1 July 2021, the following signals were detected with a potential public health impact to UEFA EURO 2020's host and participating countries: COVID-19 related news According to multiple sources, from the beginning of UEFA EURO 2020 and as of 1 July 2021, seven countries have reported 2472 SARS-CoV-2 positive cases linked to attendance at the championship's matches: Denmark (source 1, source 2) (35, of these five with Delta variant), Finland (436), France (3), Sweden (2), Scotland (1 991), while fewer than five cases were reported by Croatia and the Netherlands.

According to the media and WHO EURO 2020 explorer, among the EURO 2020 host countries, an increase of SARS-CoV-2 cases was recently reported in St. Peterburg, Russia; Baku, Azerbaijan; Copenhagen, Denmark; and in Glasgow and London, United Kingdom (UK). According to the media, SARS-CoV-2-related hospitalisations have increased in St. Petersburg in recent days.

The majority of new cases of SARS-CoV-2 in the UK are the Delta variant. According to Public Health England, weekly SARS-CoV-2 variant cases data show as of 23 June 2021 that numbers of the Delta variant in the UK have risen by 35 204 since last week to a total of 111 157. The UK is reporting an increase in the notification rate, but hospitalisations remain stable.

Finland reported an increase of COVD-19 cases linked to UEFA EURO 2020 spectators. In addition, Russia reported the first case of the Delta + K417N variant (currently classified as variant under investigation), according to a media report on 29 June 2021.

According to the media, in the monitoring period SARS-CoV-2 infection was detected in several players of the following national teams: Croatia.

ECDC assessment

In the countries where mass gathering events such as UEFA EURO 2020 take place, in the absence of sufficient mitigation measures the risk of local and pan-European transmission risk of COVID-19, including the spread of variants of concern, is expected to increase. Options for COVID-19 response are described in ECDC's latest COVID-19 rapid risk assessment, published on 10 June 2021. COVID-19-related country profiles in the EU/EEA can be found here, and are available for countries outside the EU/EEA here. The risk of becoming infected with other communicable diseases in countries hosting UEFA EURO 2020 varies, but is considered low if preventive measures are applied, e.g. being fully vaccinated according to the national immunisation schedule, following hand and food hygiene, respiratory etiquette, refraining from any activities and contacts if any symptoms occur, and seeking prompt testing and medical advice as needed.

cheers Mariner, I do agree that the 'tests' were prolly just BS
I Just read oz is giving a couple of million doses to indonesia, got me thinking
We've been reading that vaccine rates are dropping bad in the USA chiefly from the trump supporters, Well all they need to do is say
"We have 10s of millions of vaccine doses ordered by Donald Trump during his presidency that are approaching their useby dates so as people in the USA are not wanting them we've decided to gift them free to Mexico"
and watch the trump supporters line up for the jab "I'm not doing this to protect myself or my family, Im doing this to keep it out of the hands of a mexican, its watch jesus wants"

nice info Arnold, though if one does look at the actual data of new infections and countries hosting euro matches there doesnt seem to be a strong link, eg italy, romania, hungary, germany hosted matches yet have some of the lowest recent infection rates in europe eg lower than norway which didnt even take part, perhaps there is some linkage though

Last edited:
Back