Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

2 shots of pfizer for me. 1st shot didn't cause anything observable outside minor pain at injection point. Second shot induced brutal side effects. Highest fever I have had in years+joint pain(1 day and 2 nights), difficult to sleep, headache for 3 days and of course being tired due to lack of normal sleep. But I'm happy I'm now fully vaccinated. I got the shot early morning and the symptoms started to creep up during evening. Worst part was happening during first night. This said, the side effects didn't cause any permanent damage or sickness. It was just pretty uncomfortable for a while.

Is there any relation between side effects from shot versus how badly virus would affect individual? I'm wondering if the real virus had hit me would I have been goner? Never ever have I had such a strong effect to a vaccination.

Last edited:
I get my 2nd Moderna tomorrow. Didn't really have any side effects from the first shot, we'll see how it goes with the 2nd.

I get my 2nd Moderna tomorrow. Didn't really have any side effects from the first shot, we'll see how it goes with the 2nd.
:devilish:
----
Not final:
SARS-CoV-2 infection induces long-lived bone marrow plasma cells in humans | Nature

Long-lived bone marrow plasma cells (BMPCs) are a persistent and essential source of protective antibodies1–7. Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) convalescent individuals have a significantly lower risk of reinfection8–10. Nonetheless, it has been reported that anti-SARS-CoV-2 serum antibodies experience rapid decay in the first few months after infection, raising concerns that long-lived BMPCs may not be generated and humoral immunity against this virus may be short-lived11–13. Here we demonstrate that in patients who experienced mild infections (n=77), serum anti-SARS-CoV-2 spike (S) antibodies decline rapidly in the first 4 months after infection and then more gradually over the following 7 months, remaining detectable at least 11 months after infection. Anti-S antibody titers correlated with the frequency of S-specific BMPCs obtained from bone marrow aspirates of 18 SARS-CoV-2 convalescent patients 7 to 8 months after infection. S-specific BMPCs were not detected in aspirates from 11 healthy subjects with no history of SARS-CoV-2 infection. We demonstrate that S-binding BMPCs are quiescent, indicating that they are part of a long-lived compartment. Consistently, circulating resting memory B cells directed against the S protein were detected in the convalescent individuals. Overall, we show that SARS-CoV-2 infection induces a robust antigen-specific, long-lived humoral immune response in humans.

I hope, we will see the same positive results for vaccinated people.

Is there any relation between side effects from shot versus how badly virus would affect individual? I'm wondering if the real virus had hit me would I have been goner? Never ever have I had such a strong effect to a vaccination.
Nah, it works fundamentally differently. Dumping a massive amount of LNP-mRNA into your body is simply more art than science. Perhaps depending on other inflammation causes it might push you over an invisible edge, especially after being primed (mold, hayfever, other viruses, autoimmune disease). Who knows ... she'll be right.

I've had my second dose of the AZ vaccine bumped forward due to the rapid spread of the 'Indian' B.1.617.2 variant in the UK - by a whole 6 days, so this weekend instead of the following one. I'm not going to complain, however and my wife is finally getting her first dose of the Pfizer vaccine tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the data for the 'Indian' B.1.617.2 variant in the UK really isn't looking great at present. Here's a good if long thread discussing the issues with the data available:

Although the vaccines offer good protection against the Indian variant, it is only really the fully vaccinated to get most of the benefit. They've calculated a figure that 1 dose of the AZ vaccine is roughly 33% effective at reducing symptomatic infection with B1.617.2 vs 50% against the B.1.1.7 'Kent' variant. Two doses 60% effective against the Indian variant 2 weeks after the 2nd dose (and probably extending further to around 80%+ a few weeks after that). Problem is, that this variant seems to be a lot more transmissible and we have a lot of people who are weeks away from their 2nd dose. Not to mention younger adults who are weeks away from even their first dose (and there is a delay to immune response after that as well, of course). The extended gap between doses worked very well against B.1.1.7, but B.1.617.2 could prove to be a bigger issue.

We only have data to 15th May so far so it will be interesting to see what happens when the data for the rest of May becomes available. A lot depends on how much 1 dose of the vaccines reduces hospitalisations/deaths even if infections still occur, I suppose, but despite the government's rhetoric, I can't help but think that we're going to be seeing another lockdown during June or at least some of the relaxations in restrictions of the past week or two being rolled back.

Now the EU is getting their rollout of vaccines on track, you can hopefully keep the prevalence of the B.1.617.2 variant low enough that it won't be such an issue on the continent. You've certainly done the right thing in restricting visitors from the UK at an early stage. If only we'd done the same with visitors from India back in April.

I've got a holiday in the UK booked for late July and thought there wouldn't be any problem going on this one (I've had 3 holidays cancelled in the past 12 months so far!). B.1.617.2 might have something to say about my chances of having a summer break...

I live in one of the areas that bubbled up in the media yesterday as targets for another lockdown. Not that it's really another lockdown - the lockdown here has never gone away as we were singled out for "special treatment" after the very first lockdown ended for everyone else.

There's a large Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi community here. From what I've heard the vaccine rollout in those communities is now progressing reasonably well after a slow start, but I've not seen firm numbers.

It shows a failing of government that some of those most at risk of serious illness and death should be the ones least likely to have the vaccines (in their age groups). I know there has been some effort to push the vaccines to these ethnic groups, but probably not enough. If they are only now or have only recently got their first doses, then they may still be at a great deal of risk from this new variant. It seems to be surging in schools in the north west. Possibly an indication that it is easier for kids to catch and, of course, these ethnicities are more likely to live in extended family groups so the kids will be more likely to pass it on.

On a tangential note, I've had a quick look at Cummings' revelations so far today and, as was pretty obvious, it seems the government didn't have a fucking clue what they were up to back in early 2020. A real kakistocracy in place in the UK at present. Even more so than usual!

Just listened to a podcast, All his podcasts are good so give a listen if you like this one (this is one of the lesser ones though)
Anyways it mentioned perhaps one of the biggest financial scams in history, UK track and trace

Apparently using MS excel instead of something more suited (like a database) cost conservatively 1500 UK ppl their lives ( and you would think with a 20+ billion dollar scam they could at least afford the right tools)
https://timharford.com/2021/05/cautionary-tales-wrong-tools-cost-lives/

Just listened to a podcast, All his podcasts are good so give a listen if you like this one (this is one of the lesser ones though)
Anyways it mentioned perhaps one of the biggest financial scams in history, UK track and trace

Apparently using MS excel instead of something more suited (like a database) cost conservatively 1500 UK ppl their lives ( and you would think with a 20+ billion dollar scam they could at least afford the right tools)
https://timharford.com/2021/05/cautionary-tales-wrong-tools-cost-lives/

There was a really good BBC radio series presented by Harford, called, 'How to vaccinate the world". Each week, they'd get a panel of experts to discuss different aspects of the pandemic and vaccination and so forth. It gave a good lot of information into the difficulties and problems we've seen over the past year.

I suppose they want that Memorial Day holiday surge to be a real thing now. They don't want this to end, ever.

Along with that mask policy adjustment, there are a few extremely crowded places like the Ceder Point Amusement Park which says masks should be worn unless you are vaccinated but they will NOT be checking vaccination status. Everyone knows full well what that means. Those not vaccinated will simply claim they were and not wear a mask.

Back