Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RDGoodla, Feb 4, 2020.

  1. green.pixel

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,392
    Likes Received:
    695
    Location:
    Europe
  2. Mariner

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2002
    Messages:
    1,971
    Likes Received:
    699
    Supposedly, data tracking severity of illness in confirmed reinfections in South Africa should be available quite soon. Thanks to their genomic surveillance they have thousands of cases which is a good chunk of data. If serious illness is greatly reduced (as you'd hope and even perhaps expect), then the vaccines should do the same, even if they don't stop disease altogether.
     
  3. green.pixel

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,392
    Likes Received:
    695
    Location:
    Europe
  4. wco81

    Legend

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Messages:
    6,650
    Likes Received:
    527
    Location:
    West Coast

    Send the kids back to school!
     
  5. Davros

    Legend

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    16,736
    Likes Received:
    4,040
    Got vaccinated today (astrazeneca)
    The paperwork was much worse than the needle
    ps: if I ever go missing Bill will know where to find me ;)
     
  6. green.pixel

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,392
    Likes Received:
    695
    Location:
    Europe
  7. BRiT

    BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Messages:
    18,785
    Likes Received:
    21,085
    Yup, never underestimate American Stupidity driven by Greed.
     
    A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.
  8. Arnold Beckenbauer

    Veteran Subscriber

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Messages:
    1,649
    Likes Received:
    622
    Location:
    Germany
    What did they ask you?
     
  9. Davros

    Legend

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Messages:
    16,736
    Likes Received:
    4,040
    name, address, phone, email, GP practice, have you ever had a bad reaction to a vaccine, are you on blood pressure meds (i think) consent, do you have any covid symptoms (they didnt test but took my temp) could you be pregnant, have you had a previous dose, have you received any other vaccine in the past 7 days, are you taking any immunosuppressants, do you have a disorder that makes you prone to bleeding, do you have a bmi over 40 ect
     
    #3669 Davros, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Lightman and Arnold Beckenbauer like this.
  10. Malo

    Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2002
    Messages:
    8,274
    Likes Received:
    4,701
    Location:
    Pennsylvania
    I think it's more driven by an ingrained mentality over generations that as an American you have a god given right to do whatever you want, 'cause freedoms 'n shit. Combined with intense pressure from constituents to the local government who want to keep their jobs over the welfare of their populace.
     
  11. cheapchips

    Veteran Newcomer

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2013
    Messages:
    1,794
    Likes Received:
    1,927
    As a carer, just had my first vaccine shot. All my dog walks going forward are going to trace out rude words in case Bill Gates is tracking me. If I run out of rude words I'll move onto mildly salacious ones. Like flange.
     
    #3671 cheapchips, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Lightman likes this.
  12. wco81

    Legend

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Messages:
    6,650
    Likes Received:
    527
    Location:
    West Coast
    Article on intranasal vaccines, which may play a greater role if we need periodic boosters. There are intransala covid vaccines in development but they are in early trials and the funding is low, relative to the money that's been invested in standard vaccines.

    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/to-beat-covid-we-may-need-a-good-shot-in-the-nose/

    We''ve seen examples where vaccines delivered to the site of infection are more effective. For instance, the Salk polio vaccine reduced illness but not necessarily infection. So Sabin's vaccine was ingested instead of injected:

    The intranasal vaccines for covid are in nascent stages and in need of more funding:

    The other advantages are that intranasal vaccines can be self-administered and distributed through mail. Some of them do not have cold storage requirements. They may also overcome vaccine resistance in some people who may fear needles.

    But the big advantage may be that if we require periodic booster shots, intranasal vaccines may be easier to deploy. No need to set up vaccination sites or have federal, state and local governments trying to coordinate mass vaccinations again and again.

    However, perhaps intranasal vaccines wouldn't scale up in volume as easily as the intramuscular vaccines? Maybe there isn't as much capacity for producing these? The article does mention that there are effective intranasal flu vaccines but they're only manufactured in US and India.
     
    tinokun likes this.
  13. Mariner

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2002
    Messages:
    1,971
    Likes Received:
    699
    My 5 year old son had an intranasal flu vaccine at school before Christmas. He told us that something horrible had happened at school that day, though he didn't seem overly traumatised! Obviously easier to use than an injection in such cases, however.

    I've read that it may be that an intranasal Covid vaccine would produce a mucosal response which could be more effective in protecting against infection than injected vaccines. Would be helpful if this particular type of vaccine worked as so many of the others have also been effective.
     
  14. digitalwanderer

    digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2002
    Messages:
    18,162
    Likes Received:
    2,773
    Location:
    Winfield, IN USA
    Got vaccinated yesterday, WHERE'S MY LOLLIPOP?!?!?
     
    tinokun and pascal like this.
  15. green.pixel

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2,392
    Likes Received:
    695
    Location:
    Europe
  16. Mariner

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2002
    Messages:
    1,971
    Likes Received:
    699
    Not good news. A study (which looks pretty comprehensive) seems to indicate that the B117 "Kent" variant which is currently spreading across the globe at a fast rate isn't just much more infectious, it's also between 30 and 100% more deadly:

    https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n579

    With the increased transmissibility, this will lead to a lot, lot more deaths unless the vaccines and distancing measures are effective enough.

    Speaking of which, I'm getting my first dose of the AZ vaccine on Saturday. The appointment for the second dose was booked in exactly 12 weeks later - to the minute! I think there is a small chance I had a mild case of Covid due to some strange symptoms back in March/April 2020 so it will be interesting to see if I have much of a reaction to the first dose. My brother in law (who showed some symptoms such as a cough and fever for a week or two back in March 2020) felt pretty rough after his first dose of the AZ vaccine. Probably a 20% chance I had Covid and an 80% chance he had it, I'd guess.
     
  17. wco81

    Legend

    Joined:
    Mar 20, 2004
    Messages:
    6,650
    Likes Received:
    527
    Location:
    West Coast
    Which country are you in Mariner?

    I know the UK isn't planning 2 dose of the AZ, at least not until late spring or early summer.

    Oh 12 weeks so you must be in the UK.
     
  18. Mariner

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2002
    Messages:
    1,971
    Likes Received:
    699
    Yup. I'm in my late 40s with (very) mild asthma, so I'd imagine this is why I've been offered the vaccine already. Wasn't expecting it until the middle of next month, really. I was surprised they booked me for in the second dose at the same time as the first but can't complain about the organisation. I'd imagine they must be pretty confident about the supply chain given this up front scheduling.
     
  19. pascal

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Messages:
    1,942
    Likes Received:
    179
    Location:
    Brasil
    Drug test in Amazon (Manaus city).

    This company is conducting a drug test in Amazon (Manaus city): https://appliedbiology.com/

    Very good results.

    Portuguese Language link.
    https://portalhospitaisbrasil.com.b...icam-reducao-de-mortes-e-tempo-de-internacao/

    Google translation:
     
    tinokun and Arwin like this.
  20. pascal

    Veteran

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2002
    Messages:
    1,942
    Likes Received:
    179
    Location:
    Brasil
    The above study presentation (portuguese language):

     
Loading...

Share This Page

  • About Us

    Beyond3D has been around for over a decade and prides itself on being the best place on the web for in-depth, technically-driven discussion and analysis of 3D graphics hardware. If you love pixels and transistors, you've come to the right place!

    Beyond3D is proudly published by GPU Tools Ltd.
Loading...