Cool 'n' Quiet would be REALLY GREAT *IF*

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
...you could enable/disable from Windows.

How frustrating that one has to reboot to turn it on/off. Is there a utility out there aking to the old "vcool" to activate or deactivate CnQ from within Windows?

Mize,

Why would you want to turn it off? I would be very interested in learning of some areas where it did not work well, or had some kind of negative impact on system performance.

Dr. Ffreeze

Can I ask a few questions?

How quiet is the fan on the AMD64 when cool and quiet it working?

Does this affecting gaming at all?

I have been considering an AMD64 processor, and with the 90nm chips at good prices (3200+ for $208 with HSF, $150ish for the 3000+) they look like a steal, especially for overclocking. With the PCI Express motherboards coming soon (and with rumors of VIA offering a MB with PCI Express and AGP support) this would be a great migration from my P4 2.522GHz / 6800GT.

With the PCI Express motherboards coming soon (and with rumors of VIA offering a MB with PCI Express and AGP support) this would be a great migration from my P4 2.522GHz / 6800GT.

FYI the PCIE/AGP hybrids don't quite work up to par. There is a tradeoff somewhere that affects the AGP's speed; I don't recall how big of a penalty it is though.

That is unless VIA made a chipset designed specifically for this that I don't know about.

ANova said:
With the PCI Express motherboards coming soon (and with rumors of VIA offering a MB with PCI Express and AGP support) this would be a great migration from my P4 2.522GHz / 6800GT.

FYI the PCIE/AGP hybrids don't quite work up to par. There is a tradeoff somewhere that affects the AGP's speed; I don't recall how big of a penalty it is though.

That is unless VIA made a chipset designed specifically for this that I don't know about.

Someone had mentioned to me that VIA is making a new chipset for this purpose. The current work around can fry your AGP card! The warning on the MB says that it is for temporary use until a new AGP card can be purchased. I guess this is because it was some kind of volt modification to get the AGP to work.

I am not sticking my 6800GT in one of those!! If VIA can come out with a MB with AGP and PCIe support, then I am all ears (and bucks!)

Dr. Ffreeze said:
Mize,

Why would you want to turn it off? I would be very interested in learning of some areas where it did not work well, or had some kind of negative impact on system performance.

Dr. Ffreeze

I ran a memory bandwidth benchmark (Sandra) and got 3900 MB/sec with it on and 5980 MB/sec with it off. I assume this would affect other things as well.

The only time I've had trouble with it is Unreal-engine 1 based games. They can't handle the CPU changing from min speed on startup to full speed in the game. It makes the game run turbo fast.

Otherwise I can't tell at all. It's completely transparent to me in all desktop tasks, and it will ramp up the instant it needs to.

With regards to changing bandwidth, you may be seeing the benchmark not triggering the clock-up mechanism very well. After all, the CPU and caches are getting a delta of about 1Ghz, at least on my machine. I don't believe that the memory bus changes.

Thanks swaaye!

How is it for noise/fan? Does the fan slow down when the CPU is underclocked?

Acert93 said:
Thanks swaaye!

How is it for noise/fan? Does the fan slow down when the CPU is underclocked?

With my mainboard you can have temp based CPU fan control, but I tried this and nearly had a heart attack when I saw my HSF fan stopped. I had it set to kick the fan up at 50 C and my XP90 HSF was passively cooling it to 47 or so. Silent or not I can't see a stopped fan on a cpu without serious stress so I disabled that feature!

On my rig the 5 case fans drown out my quiet Pabst on my cpu anyway.

Well, I'm not entirely sure how accurate the measurements are, but this article from Tom's Hardware indicates that the 90nm (Winchester) Athlon64s should be incredibly cool when Cool n Quiet is working, dissipating just 3.2W at idle! Any cooler should be able to cool the chip entirely passively when CnQ is in action if this is true. In fact, if you look at the other figures, the article also claims that the 90nm dissipates just 32W at full load when running at 2.2GHz with default voltage of 1.4V! :oops:

Very cool indeed, especially in comparison to the 100W+ Prescotts and also favourably comparable to Dothan.

I'm certainly intending to get Athlon64 in my next computer and use either CnQ or one of the clocking utilities mentioned.

(Incidentally, I've also seen reports of people running their Winchesters at 2.1GHz+ while undervolting to 1.1V and if the heat dissipation figures from the TH article are indeed true, then the potential to passively cool these chips is almost within reach! It's also rumoured that the new 'E' stepping of Athlon64 is due to add strained silicon to the existing SOI which could well reduce required voltages/current leakage further).

I ran a memory bandwidth benchmark (Sandra) and got 3900 MB/sec with it on and 5980 MB/sec with it off. I assume this would affect other things as well.

this was discussed here recently. I provided some (basic) benchmarks of my system with and without CnQ, if you are interested. I think it either works with your app, in which case performance is virtually even as without, or it does not work at all and the results are pretty obvious, ie unreal engine games and perhaps Sandra. Far more apps seem work with it then without.

Also, as someone else pointed out, you just need to select "home/office desk" in power options to switch off CnQ, I actually keep a link to this handy because X111 would not run correctly (ut engine), however I have not used it for months.

swaaye said:
The only time I've had trouble with it is Unreal-engine 1 based games. They can't handle the CPU changing from min speed on startup to full speed in the game. It makes the game run turbo fast.

Transmeta solves this problem by making the TSC runs at the same speed regardless the speed of CPU. That is, when CPU runs at half speed, the TSC should increase by two each cycle.

Well it's something AMD should look into. A lot of laptop owners especially no doubt have no idea how to control Cool & Quiet. Means they probably can't play UT/Unreal/DS9 The Fallen/etc at all.

My notebook's fan is controlled thermally somehow, but there's no software I've tried that can control it or even read the CPU's temp. This mobo has some custom nonsense going on I'd imagine.

I'm actually thinking of modding it somehow to make the fan stay on continuously but at a very low speed. It would solve the problem of the notebook being so warm when the CPU is in idle mode, cuz the fan never comes on to vent all the heat in there.

Mariner said:
Well, I'm not entirely sure how accurate the measurements are, but this article from Tom's Hardware indicates that the 90nm (Winchester) Athlon64s should be incredibly cool when Cool n Quiet is working, dissipating just 3.2W at idle! Any cooler should be able to cool the chip entirely passively when CnQ is in action if this is true. In fact, if you look at the other figures, the article also claims that the 90nm dissipates just 32W at full load when running at 2.2GHz with default voltage of 1.4V! :oops:

Do you know if all the 939 sockets are 90nm?

Fred da Roza said:
Mariner said:

No, not all socket 939 AMD64 CPUs are 90nm. If you go to a place like newegg.com they will tell you whether a chip is 90nm or 130nm. e.g.:

130nm

90nm

Get the 90nm if you can.

swaaye said:

I also noticed a problem in Raven Shield where there would be serious lag for a second or two at the start of the round (presumably while the CPU ramps up). I ended up disabling CnQ and replacing the stock cooler with something quieter (Swiftech MCX-64V) under load.

Acert93 said:
Fred da Roza said:

No, not all socket 939 AMD64 CPUs are 90nm. If you go to a place like newegg.com they will tell you whether a chip is 90nm or 130nm. e.g.:

130nm

90nm

Get the 90nm if you can.

It looks like all the 1.8 Ghz 3000+ and 2Ghz 3200+ are 90nm. The 130nm 3000+ and 3200+ are 2 Ghz and 2.2 Ghz respectively. I hope this is true because I want to ensure I get a 90nm.

Back