Consumer Vista - Jan 2007

%$#%$@@!!!

Edit: They ought to consider handing out free Vista upgrade coupons to Xmas system purchasers of "Vista Ready" PCs. That would help the hardware guys a bit anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody care to guess what could be the reason for the delay?

So far people are suggesting Microsoft will just make it in time to OEMs (by November) and box cover and packaging would take 1-2 months more time.

Some news stories say improving security, others mention problems with third-party hardware manufacturers.

I don't believe the first is true (otherwise the professional version of Vista that is shipping without delay would be less secure than the consumer version -- and companies would never pick it up even if MS vowed to release a patch later on). The second is probable but if so I marvel at Microsoft's naiveté after releasing so many operating systems and knowing this happened every time.

My guess is that some of the applications that will only exist in the consumer versions needed more work.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/windows...rticleID/49744/windowspaulthurrott_49744.html

and

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060321/tc_nm/microsoft_vista_dc

Kinda strange. I would think that OEM and retail version are the same but with different packages.

Any word on when the next beta-version of Vista is released? I remember Microsoft personnel telling that beta 2 was supposed to be out in February. Have I just missed it or is it delayed?

I've quit the habit of picking up a MS OS in its launch months long ago. Normally, it'S better to wait until the first couple of problems have been ironed out. So I really care less if it's been delayed for a couple of months. Plus, I am not that Vista hyped.

Miksu said:
Any word on when the next beta-version of Vista is released? I remember Microsoft personnel telling that beta 2 was supposed to be out in February. Have I just missed it or is it delayed?

From the first article I linked above:

And the next major Windows Vista milestone, the Beta 2 release has been delayed from April to late May 2006.

BTW here's a gamespot interview about Dx10.

Opening up the video card to more applications will require Vista to give the GPU more system resources and allow applications to share the hardware. The biggest change for game developers will be virtualized memory for the GPU. The video card will now have its own space in system RAM to store information that can't fit on local video card memory. High-end video cards ship with 256MB or 512MB of memory, but games can still use the extra space in system memory to store large chunks of information, like textures.

apparently im gonna have to keep killing desktop before i play. now it's gonna be stealing ram from my GPU!

Anyone here who knows anyone who cannot wait to order Vista (unseen, it's from Microsoft!) to upgrade all computers in his company as soon as possible?

Know anyone who would actually buy it for personal use, just because it's new and better?

DiGuru said:
Anyone here who knows anyone who cannot wait to order Vista (unseen, it's from Microsoft!) to upgrade all computers in his company as soon as possible?

Know anyone who would actually buy it for personal use, just because it's new and better?

Looks like Microsoft is going to try to force it down people's throats. (ie: Halo 2 for the computer). I also don't like the look of Crysis being delayed due to Vista being delayed. I don't know why EA would cripple their sales, though, by making Crysis only run on Vista.

CMAN said:
Looks like Microsoft is going to try to force it down people's throats. (ie: Halo 2 for the computer). I also don't like the look of Crysis being delayed due to Vista being delayed. I don't know why EA would cripple their sales, though, by making Crysis only run on Vista.

Probably because its EA. They have ruined almost every game to date...mind you the good games and I am not talking about the nfl, nba and nhl games.

Back