Confused new Xbox owner ;)

Shifty Geezer

uber-Troll!
Legend
Just bought an XBox One second hand from Ebay to port my game. Have to leave but thought I'd record my first impressions for hopefully a little clarity from existing users.

Firstly, interface for setup is butt ugly! Why such a HUGE FONT to select your wireless network? Secondly, why offer a checkbox 'show password' if there's no way to select it? I couldn't see any way to navigate to that control.

Console is running update. I was directed to use the app on my phone so installed that. I put in my console code and logged into my Windows Live (hotmail) account, and I'm given a name EvenArt775853 and a weird portrait of a triangular wizard. Is this just a random default name? I've the option to change the GamerTag (ShiftyGeezer757! How dare 757 people lift my name!) but it says I can only do this once as a freebie.

So I'm slightly curious. Is this the console being attached to an existing account? It doesn't look like it, but all this existing data and the things are worded, it feels like it's not a fresh setup, where I'd expect to be asked what I want my GamerTag to be.

It now has a screen "photograph this QR code in the XBox app to sign in." Nice...except it doesn't tell me how to. Can't find any useful option in the app. Where's the power button on this thing? Just felt the front aroudn the light and it's made a noise and the logo is flashing. Is that going to sleep? I need "Power off" I'm going out! Is it safe to switch off?

Modern technology is so dumb.

It's been forever since I went through the "new xbox experience" so can't really answer there. However, the new user experience seemed equally bad on all the consoles I setup, from xbox to 4pro to Switch, they all took a lot of randomly clicking and moving around to get familiar with their system.

On the XBox, I never touch the physical console at all.

For turning it on and off, one can use the controller's central dashboard button (X). When the console is off, pressing it will turn it on. When the console is on, Push and Hold it down, a popup happens asking what you want to do, then select turn console off.

I also have my Alexa hooked to the console (and my harmony) so voice commands are used to turn it (and everything else needed) on and off.

Console is running update. I was directed to use the app on my phone so installed that. I put in my console code and logged into my Windows Live (hotmail) account, and I'm given a name EvenArt775853 and a weird portrait of a triangular wizard. Is this just a random default name? I've the option to change the GamerTag (ShiftyGeezer757! How dare 757 people lift my name!) but it says I can only do this once as a freebie.

So I'm slightly curious. Is this the console being attached to an existing account? It doesn't look like it, but all this existing data and the things are worded, it feels like it's not a fresh setup, where I'd expect to be asked what I want my GamerTag to be.

I believe all new Xbox Live accounts get assigned a random GamerTag during account creation now. Strippin on Twitch had to make a second account and it autoassigned him Cutsey[Something I can't remember]. :D

I'm can only guess that perhaps some people (maybe kids?) were putting in their real names for their GamerTags without thinking about it. That could be a security risk for those people, and MS just decided to hand out default random ones? Or perhaps, MS didn't want people immediately putting in the most profane Tag they could think of?

I honestly don't really know why they do this now.

Regards,
SB

I believe all new Xbox Live accounts get assigned a random GamerTag during account creation now. Strippin on Twitch had to make a second account and it autoassigned him Cutsey[Something I can't remember]. :D

I honestly don't really know why they do this now.
I can see some sense in it, but I am surprised they neither give the option for a first gamertag with a random suggestion, nor even explain this up front - Here's a random name we picked for you but you can change it.

If you tap the console “X” it should go to sleep.
Oh, I totally get that. However, I wasn't even set-up when I had to stop.

To be fair, second hand I won't have any paper guide or walkthrough. But it does boggle my mind how these companies can make such odd ergonomic choices these days. Intuition has taken a few steps backwards this past decade, I'm sure.

But it does boggle my mind how these companies can make such odd ergonomic choices these days. Intuition has taken a few steps backwards this past decade, I'm sure.

When you're this deep into a product's lifespan, I bet "new user experience" is barely an aftertthought compared to improving the experience of experienced users. Like BRiT, I think the console setups are mostly bad but Switch felt less bad because of the touchscreen so entering logins, email addresses and passwords is much more immediate. Ditto, Vita.

I still prefer the Switch UI to everything else, it's clean and responsive.

I can see some sense in it, but I am surprised they neither give the option for a first gamertag with a random suggestion, nor even explain this up front - Here's a random name we picked for you but you can change it.

Oh, I totally get that. However, I wasn't even set-up when I had to stop.

To be fair, second hand I won't have any paper guide or walkthrough. But it does boggle my mind how these companies can make such odd ergonomic choices these days. Intuition has taken a few steps backwards this past decade, I'm sure.

Bringing back flashbacks to the day one edition ,t pretty much only shipped with a bootloader, that was some throwback UI and loads of updates to get it to a "dashboard".

For power off there are different modes, one is off off and one is more like pc sleep where games and apps are suspended. You will probably become overly familiar with all that with the app as I assume you have to account for uses coming out of sleep.

Re the gamertag I wonder if now Microsoft email accounts already have one created in the background and when you login to an Xbox or Xbox service this is exposed to you?

You see loads of people online who just keep them, some are pretty daft so always assume they are kids.

wow, I am actually impressed. My best childhood friend also got a Xbox One S at 99€ -yes- totally anew on Mediamarkt in a temporary sale.

The interface is ugly, and cumbersome. The Xbox App interface on the PC is much much better.

Gamepass is your friend.

Btw, I got this stats looking at My Decade On Xbox.

801998.png

When you're this deep into a product's lifespan, I bet "new user experience" is barely an aftertthought compared to improving the experience of experienced users. Like BRiT, I think the console setups are mostly bad but Switch felt less bad because of the touchscreen so entering logins, email addresses and passwords is much more immediate. Ditto, Vita.

I still prefer the Switch UI to everything else, it's clean and responsive.

OOBE on Vita is was worst (unskipable video for 1 minute or 2), similar to Oculus Quest. I also feels Switch is the best. Yes it looks bland but its clear and responsive.

about xbox one OOBE, maybe the console was still in old firmware? on xbox 360 MS keeps changing the whole experience every few years. I suspect the same with xbox one.

tried to add you as a friend, but I couldn't find your ShiftyGeezer757 gamertag. Please add me. My gamertag is the one in the image above.

Back