*Confirmed* Original Crysis Bound for *PS360

Checking out the guy's face in the two helicopter shots tells you everything you need to know.

Bodes well for Crysis 3, assuming it makes it to the PS360.

Umm, still just looks like blurry out of focus flv in the "old" 2nd shot to me. Not even sure there's any actual difference.

First shot of course shows improvement, though here again flv is a lot to blame. The easiest way to make a game look like crap is cap it from a flash video. Second is non bullshot direct feed screens period.

Anyways as a whole the trailer in motion looks really good (some parts more than others) so if there are improvements that's just gravy.

I wish there was a more specific release date than "October" now, big difference from Oct 1 and Oct 30. Guessing it's because XBLA/digital release windows are typically fluid and Microsoft may not have their slotting nailed down.

Of course, they'll say whatever they need to say to sell the product, Richard. When Crysis came out, I still remember the argument that the game wasn't actually poorly optimised, like, for instance, what the shader analysis seemed to demonstrate.

No, folks, the game was future-proof! It was made after some of the Crytek folks took a trip on a time travelling machine and saw that in the moderately close future all GPU architectures will be optimised for unnecessarily long shaders and tons of full screen post processing effects piled one on top of another. They saw that and they also saw that it wouldn't be wise to capitalise on hedge funds that had too many housing-related securities; they just remembered the GPU parts of the time trip, tough.

Anyway, regarding the game, I wish their "upgraded" and "physically correct" lighting engine didn't produce that horrible sky explosion effect where the colour of the sky exists only on the very bottom edge of the picture and then immediately fade to a #FFFFFF white (or close to).

Umm, still just looks like blurry out of focus flv in the "old" 2nd shot to me. Not even sure there's any actual difference.

No, I mean check out the expression on his face.

The texture on the wall looks higher resolution to me. Possibly a mipmap level higher (or lower, I can never remember which way they the terminology goes). I get why he's looking more relaxed now. Actually seems to be enjoying himself instead of being surprised and angry.

old_console.jpg

psycho.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, folks, the game was future-proof!
I thinkit fair to say it was future-proof in terms of features, and that if not for CryTek's lack of optimisation they quite possibly wouldn't have done as well as they did. Being able to run Crysis well became a target for PC gamers. They invested in more and more hardware, and it was Crysis that showed the improvements of their new hardware, unlocking new visuals when the PC levelled-up and got a few more skill points in shader performance. If it could run as well on lesser hardware since laucnh, that whole RPG element will have never happened, and we all know how psychological addictive levelling up is and how that would have helped for Crytek encourage gamers to try this game to test their rigs, and award a sense of satisfaction when they upgraded their hardware.

Other better-optimised games were akin to already having a fully levelled up PC and just getting an extra point in framerate every upgrade, which isn't as satisfying as unlocking new features. CryTek differentiated themselves and I believe that did them very well.

The thing I will warn about now is, wait until we see it in operation. What if CryTek are throwing in features and framerate be damned? Or, like Crysis 2, what if the promised features don't materialse quite as suggested? Buzzwords are great for stirring up internet gossip and publicity, but can't be relied upon to give an accurate picture. I'll wait for the DF analysis, and if CryTek deliver I'll be amoung the first to doff my cap and applaud their efforts - but I want to taste this pudding before believing in it. ;)

I have to say, impressive. Like Shifty said, though, best to wait until we can see how it performs.

My bet is that the frame-rate will be problematic again - sure what they do with such outdated hardware graphics wise is pretty impressive but what is the point if I'm playing a beautiful slideshow? it's still a slideshow which can be a really frustrating thing and can easily affect the gameplay in a shooting game...to me at least capable developers know when to stop adding things and where to cut corners to maintain a technically balanced product.

What I mean is that personally I appreciate more a game like Vanquish for example that devs decided to go sub-HD (which clearly hurt the overall IQ) to maintain a perfectly playable frame-rate almost 100% of the time than Crysis 2 which sure is one of the best looking console games but run at almost unplayable frame-rates at times (Road Rage, Lab Rat & Dead Man Walking being the worst offenders)...the eye candy over performance theory of Crytek is definitely not what I'd call technical expertise, it's more like knowing when and where to push the hardware especially if we're talking about closed architectures that are also not edge cutting technology like the PS3 and the 360.

My bet is that the frame-rate will be problematic again - sure what they do with such outdated hardware graphics wise is pretty impressive but what is the point if I'm playing a beautiful slideshow? it's still a slideshow which can be a really frustrating thing and can easily affect the gameplay in a shooting game...to me at least capable developers know when to stop adding things and where to cut corners to maintain a technically balanced product.

What I mean is that personally I appreciate more a game like Vanquish for example that devs decided to go sub-HD (which clearly hurt the overall IQ) to maintain a perfectly playable frame-rate almost 100% of the time than Crysis 2 which sure is one of the best looking console games but run at almost unplayable frame-rates at times (Road Rage, Lab Rat & Dead Man Walking being the worst offenders)...the eye candy over performance theory of Crytek is definitely not what I'd call technical expertise, it's more like knowing when and where to push the hardware especially if we're talking about closed architectures that are also not edge cutting technology like the PS3 and the 360.
I'm willing to bet its going to be much smoother than Crysis 2 this time. I spoke to one of their programmers couple months ago and he said the biggest problem for frame rate was assets(?) and that their artists were not really used for console game, but tech itself seemed pretty damn well optimized(SSAO,post processing etc.).

I'm willing to bet its going to be much smoother than Crysis 2 this time. I spoke to one of their programmers couple months ago and he said the biggest problem for frame rate was assets(?) and that their artists were not really used for console game, but tech itself seemed pretty damn well optimized(SSAO,post processing etc.).

I guess we have to wait and see if they will actually care about performance this time, also curious to see how the Ryse project will turn out considering they only have one version to work on.

From Tiago twitter:

http://bit.ly/nUHUIf bumped into this, lots of amusing talk on foruns - we also squeezed in few goodies for consoles (POM/Stereo)
Probably the same crappy 3-cardboard-layers-of-depth stereo solution as in Crysis 2.
I love stereoscopy, but between this nonsense and 2D-3D movie conversions I'm not surprised that many people don't speak too favorably of it.

crytek failed with promises on consoles for C2 ... lighting, and terribly bad performance most PS3 and again we have not seen PS3 footage/screens only X360

i will not trust these guys again

Probably the same crappy 3-cardboard-layers-of-depth stereo solution as in Crysis 2.
I love stereoscopy, but between this nonsense and 2D-3D movie conversions I'm not surprised that many people don't speak too favorably of it.

That's nobrainer, they just cant do full 3D implementation.

crytek failed with promises on consoles for C2 ... lighting, and terribly bad performance most PS3 and again we have not seen PS3 footage/screens only X360

i will not trust these guys again
Crytek pretty much delivered(visually) with Crysis 2, especially lighting. Performance left something to desire, but they sure didn't fail.

Crytek pretty much delivered(visually) with Crysis 2, especially lighting. Performance left something to desire, but they sure didn't fail.

How will you explain no realtime GI and avg framerate of 25 FPS (PS3) and drops up to 10 FPS while (auto)saving game.

edit: i forgot the aggressive LOD on consoles and bad bugs with decals on PS3

Last edited by a moderator:
Back