Computer keeps having USB device not recognized errors...

Fox5

Veteran
Hey all, I'm running windows vista on a gigabyte p965-s3 and all of a sudden I started getting random "USB Device not recognized error". It's really annoying, and it even occurs when I have NO usb devices plugged in, so I know it's not a problem with those. I've tried disabling the "unknown device" that shows up in device manager, but it still keeps doing it. Maybe a failing or disconnected usb controller?

Anyone know anything I could do to fix it? Or at the very least, can I turn off the annoying sound?

Edit: Figured out how to turn off the sound, but it's still annoying that the problem exists at all.

Go to device manager and disable de "USB Root hub" devices one at a time until the problem disappears. You'll probably lose 2 USB ports though...

And make sure not to disable more than one at once, some board devices may be connected through internal USB controllers and you may end up without mouse/keyboard if they're USB based!

in the bios try enableing/disabling support for legacy usb devices

ps: do you have the latestet mboard drivers ? have you checked for a bios upgrade ?

in the bios try enableing/disabling support for legacy usb devices

ps: do you have the latestet mboard drivers ? have you checked for a bios upgrade ?

I do have the latest mboard and bios. This also started all of a sudden after running on the latest for a while too.

I wonder if the mobo has an intermittent USB port issue on it instead of it being a software issue.

I think the problem might be with an internal port used for some i/o device, since I was able to plug my mouse into any of my external ports with no problem at all. I was thinking maybe a short or something.

Sorry to dumb this old thread, but I'm having the same issue, only with a ASUS P5B Deluxe rather than a gigabyte p965-s3. I was wondering if there was just a way to disable the sound/pop up.

Here is the picture of my USB situation in device manage (the "unknown device" is the problem). I've tried all of the solutions the OP tried, but I havent tried disabling the Root Hubs yet. Is that the only solution?

For some reason when I tried to post it, the post won't come up. Are you unable to double post on these forums or something?

Lets try again:
2zgb6tz.jpg

For some reason my posts aren't working. :( Whenever I post it just never shows up...Lets try again.

No edit button either...maybe I can just direct link the picture:
http://i25.tinypic.com/2zgb6tz.jpg

[MOD] As a junior member, you just needed to wait for moderator approval. It's to keep spammers from cluttering the forum[/MOD]

Go to device manager and disable de "USB Root hub" devices one at a time until the problem disappears. You'll probably lose 2 USB ports though...

And make sure not to disable more than one at once, some board devices may be connected through internal USB controllers and you may end up without mouse/keyboard if they're USB based!

Thanks so much! This worked for me. When I disabled one of the USB Root Hub devices, another Unknown Device came up, and when I disabled that one, everything worked fine.

Back