Mouse not responding after sleep

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
Even since I upgraded to Windows 7, my mouse will intermittently not respond after waking the computer. This never happened in Vista64. I've no idea what triggers it and it only happens about half the time.

Windows is Home Premium 64bit
Mouse is MS IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0.
Motherboard is Gigabyte P35-DS3L.

Updated all the motherboard drivers and installed the MS IntelliMouse software, all to no avail. Even went into the device manager, found the USB Root Hub entry for the mouse, and unticked "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Still nothing.
:cry:

It's actually a good all purpose mouse, although recently it's developed a problem with double clicking on a single click. At over 3 years old and considering how much I use it, I'm pleased with my purchase.

Workaround, not a fix.

Just unplug the mouse and plug it back in. :) If the computer is too far away, just get a USB extension cable or a USB hub.

At least you're computer doesn't refuse to POST when the RF receiver for the wirelesss mouse is plugged in. PITA to have to unplug it everytime I need to reboot. Sucky thing is it used to work on older MB BIOS. But can't go back as newer MB BIOS fixed a lot of things (like the grey screening with the 5870), but introduced that problem. When it first happened, I thought I'd somehow killed the MB. :p

Regards,
SB

It's a common problem, it's because Windows doesn't reset USB devices after wake up anymore. There might be a simple registry fix.

It's actually a good all purpose mouse, although recently it's developed a problem with double clicking on a single click. At over 3 years old and considering how much I use it, I'm pleased with my purchase.
I wasn't knocking the mouse, I used to love the Intellimouse...I just don't use one anymore. Actually, I don't use sleep on my computer either. :oops:

Yeah, wish I could offer a fix instead, but I haven't run into that problem, and noone I know in RL (who would then ask me to fix it :p) have run into either.

Regards,
SB

I'm just spit-balling here, but have you tried disabling "USB selective suspend" in power options? That might work, but if it does I don't think your system will drop into C3.

Okay I just disabled it. Will see if that fixes it.

Pardon my noobness, but how can I tell if the processor goes into C3? If the computer is sleeping, the fans don't spin so it can't be drawing much power either way...

Okay I just disabled it. Will see if that fixes it.

Pardon my noobness, but how can I tell if the processor goes into C3? If the computer is sleeping, the fans don't spin so it can't be drawing much power either way...

Yeah the difference is going to be fairly minute, the only way you'd notice is possibly faster wake-up. It did just occur to me that the mouse will still be drawing power (I think), so battery life might be an issue, I don't know if that's a deal-breaker or not.

It's a desktop so battery power is not the primary concern. :smile:

Unfortunately I just had it happen to me again with USB selective suspend disabled :cry:

I am doomed to have to give my computer the reacharound every time I wake it up. Uhhhh.......

It's a desktop so battery power is not the primary concern. :smile:

Unfortunately I just had it happen to me again with USB selective suspend disabled :cry:

I am doomed to have to give my computer the reacharound every time I wake it up. Uhhhh.......

Ah, for some reason I assumed it was a cordless mouse. If I were you I'd still try a few things:

(1) Different mouse or USB->PS/2 dongle.

(2) Different USB ports (since you're giving it the reacharound anyway), some MBs don't properly deliver the full 500mA on all lines. In particular I'd try to get the mouse on it's own hub.

(3) Maybe muck around in the BIOS, 'wake on USB', 'USB settings', I don't know...

Ah, for some reason I assumed it was a cordless mouse. If I were you I'd still try a few things:

(1) Different mouse or USB->PS/2 dongle.

(2) Different USB ports (since you're giving it the reacharound anyway), some MBs don't properly deliver the full 500mA on all lines. In particular I'd try to get the mouse on it's own hub.

(3) Maybe muck around in the BIOS, 'wake on USB', 'USB settings', I don't know...

1) I will dig one up, surprised I didn't think of this before. Are there any downsides to using PS/2 over USB?

2) I've tried most of the USB ports at this point just from fumbling around blindly behind the comp and sticking the mouse into the first port it slides into.

3) Will try this before I go PS/2.

Might want to check if your mobo has jumpers for USB wake up options. I stumbled on this with ASUS mobos and S3 sleep troubles.

Back