Community Poll: Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Feb 24, 2019.

?

Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

1. Yes.

78.2%
  2. No.

21.8%
  1. Sigfried1977

Veteran

I'm not expecting them ro regrade old films, but HDR masters for the more recent blockbusters already exist. They're on the UHD discs you can buy, and Apple apparently has them as well.

2. lefantome

Newcomer

it better be, I am really disappointed in Ps4 Pro not having one.

3. London-boy

London-boy Shifty's daddy
    Legend Subscriber

The way it works right now, every release from the last few years that has come out on 4K Blu-ray has been mastered in HDR. Those masters are also available on some streaming services such as Amazon or iTunes, with varying availability.

Some older movies have also been ‘remastered’ for 4K Blu-ray - such as the Fifth Element, which I have and is AMAZING, especially the new Atmos soundtrack - and I’m not sure if those are available online, to be honest. Regardless, the masters are there.

4. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

And we’re not even considering the really stupid situations of the actual distribution of that content, such as trying to figure out which devices actually support HDR for services like Netflix or Amazon - the PS4 Amazon app doesn’t, for example - and also specific cases like American Gods supporting HDR in the US but not in the UK, which makes absolutely no sense. Or even the fact that Amazon in the UK (and probably Europe) doesn’t actually support Dolby Vision at all?

egoless likes this.
  5. Rootax

Veteran Newcomer

I voted yes. But maybe 2 skus ? One without any optical drive (and maybe a bigger drive ?), and one with a bd player (I never used mine, I download everything)

6. wco81

Legend

Check this out, the UHD BD of Incredibles 2 has the a Digital Copy with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

But the UHD BD disc only has HDR10.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/60570/incredibles24kultrahdbluray.html

egoless, iroboto and London-boy like this.
  7. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

iroboto likes this.
  8. manux

Veteran Regular

Trend is pretty clear
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...arly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

9. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

I think they will support 4K BD this time around.

London-boy likes this.
  10. Pixel

Regular

Don't forget that ontop of traditional blurayplayers & 'smart' bluray players, ontop of those, in the last 13 years Sony Interactive Entertainment sold 170+ million "super charged pc" bluray players that can also do things on the side like play entertainment software. Microsoft sold ~40 million similar kinds of multifunctional bluray players that are also capable of playing various forms of entertainment software on the side.

Sure many household will have two or more of these devices so there is ALOT of overlap, and there isn't actually 210+ unique million households with supercharged bluray players that can play certain types of entertainment software on the side, but the amount of households with bluray device penetration is quite darn broad.

#50 Pixel, Apr 13, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    London-boy likes this.
  11. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

what's the evolution of physical media? You are betting on a winner here.

There is no future for physical media other than the present proyecting into the future. A friend of mine is going to lend me a CD about militar cartography, and I realised that I don't have a single device at home that can read CDs -maybe the Xbox One? But I need to copy it, so...it's not an option-.

12. Metal_Spirit

Regular Newcomer

Not shure why people are discussing about percentages of 4K blu-ray movies, or percentage of sales of DVD and BD movies.
    That’s just irrelevant. That’s a completly diferent market.
    The question is: Do you place a High capacity BD player in PS5 making it able to access physical media, or not, turning it into a digital device.
    There is no cheaper way to distribute physical media than to use a BD disc. And since this next gen game size will increase, a new high capacity BD will be required.
    The other cheaper alternative is just no BD at all, and a 100% digital streaming or downloads console.
    So... the relevancy of movies sold in either format is irrelevant.
    The question is: on a market like the gaming consoles, that still gets more than 50% of its sales on the physical format, is it a good move to remove the BD player?
    I think not! All consoles can acess digital, but only those with a BD player can access physical. And the savings on not placing the BD drive over the potential losses of sales are just not attractive at all.
    A Nielsen study says about 66% of players still prefer physical over digital. Data caps, internet speed, internet availability, etc, are still issues. Reducing the potencial market for such a small cost saving just doesnt seem logic.
    And without logic... Vulcans are out. ;)

Picao84 likes this.
  13. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

You can use standard BluRays instead of UHD BluRay, and just distribute on multiple disks for bigger games.

14. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

Oh god please no!

Metal_Spirit and Picao84 like this.
  15. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Yeah. Remember those lovely days where PC games came on like 8 CDs?

16. Entropy

Veteran

I’ll one-up you. I remember when they came on multiple floppy disks. :-D

AzBat, Picao84 and London-boy like this.
  17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I played Money Island Two on 11 floppies including relentless disc swapping. modern gamers are molly-coddled and becoming weak, which is only going to make it easier for the computers to take over.

Picao84 likes this.
  18. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Yeah. Great times. When we got our 386 DX40, me and my brother both got to pick a game. He picked Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I picked somehing called Inka because the box was cool. He made the smart choice and I got a giant turd spread over twelve discs.

That said, at least you could install them all.

#58 Sigfried1977, Apr 16, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    Picao84 likes this.
  19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

You'd only need to swap once, for installation. You clearly would have melted at the prospect of installing Windows 95 from 3.5" floppies. Thirteen discs BTW. :mad2:

20. London-boy

Legend Subscriber

I did CDs back then and even then I think I melt down a lot quicker now than when I was in my teens!