Community Poll: Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

Will Sony PS5 have 4K UHD BluRay?

• Total voters
I'm not expecting them ro regrade old films, but HDR masters for the more recent blockbusters already exist. They're on the UHD discs you can buy, and Apple apparently has them as well.

I don't have a 4K HDR setup yet.

But to get HDR, the masters would have to be regraded so maybe they haven't gotten around or plan to get around to doing films older than say 5 or 10 years?

I can see them doing it for new releases.

The way it works right now, every release from the last few years that has come out on 4K Blu-ray has been mastered in HDR. Those masters are also available on some streaming services such as Amazon or iTunes, with varying availability.

Some older movies have also been ‘remastered’ for 4K Blu-ray - such as the Fifth Element, which I have and is AMAZING, especially the new Atmos soundtrack - and I’m not sure if those are available online, to be honest. Regardless, the masters are there.

And we’re not even considering the really stupid situations of the actual distribution of that content, such as trying to figure out which devices actually support HDR for services like Netflix or Amazon - the PS4 Amazon app doesn’t, for example - and also specific cases like American Gods supporting HDR in the US but not in the UK, which makes absolutely no sense. Or even the fact that Amazon in the UK (and probably Europe) doesn’t actually support Dolby Vision at all?

I voted yes. But maybe 2 skus ? One without any optical drive (and maybe a bigger drive ?), and one with a bd player (I never used mine, I download everything)

The way it works right now, every release from the last few years that has come out on 4K Blu-ray has been mastered in HDR. Those masters are also available on some streaming services such as Amazon or iTunes, with varying availability.

Some older movies have also been ‘remastered’ for 4K Blu-ray - such as the Fifth Element, which I have and is AMAZING, especially the new Atmos soundtrack - and I’m not sure if those are available online, to be honest. Regardless, the masters are there.

Check this out, the UHD BD of Incredibles 2 has the a Digital Copy with Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision.

But the UHD BD disc only has HDR10.

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment brings Incredibles 2 to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray as a three-disc combo pack with a flyer for a Disney Digital Copy, dubbed "Ultimate Collector's Edition." When redeeming said code via RedeemDigitalMovie.com or Movies Anywhere, owners have access to the 4K UHD digital version in Dolby Vision HDR with Dolby Atmos.

https://ultrahd.highdefdigest.com/60570/incredibles24kultrahdbluray.html

Trend is pretty clear
the data, which was obtained from DEG and IHS Markit, global sales of video disc formats (which in this context means DVD, Blu-ray, and UltraHD Blu-ray) were $25.2 billion in 2014 but only $13.1 in 2018. That's a drop in the ballpark of 50 percent.
Don't expect 8K Blu-rays or other emerging quality-focused formats to turn the tide, either. Market data published by Forbes showed that the aging, low-definition DVD format still accounts for 57.9 percent of physical media sales, and 4K Blu-rays are only 5.3 percent.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...arly-halved-over-five-years-mpaa-report-says/

I don't think reducing player sales means reducing consumption, so much as everyone already has a BRD player. 5.6M were sold in 2016. 4.8 in 2017. 4.2 in 2018. People have extensive libraries of high-quality discs and still want something to play them on, preferably without requiring another large box in the CE cabinet. If the disc is required for distribution, playback will be an option, at worst as a purchasable unlock.
Don't forget that ontop of traditional blurayplayers & 'smart' bluray players, ontop of those, in the last 13 years Sony Interactive Entertainment sold 170+ million "super charged pc" bluray players that can also do things on the side like play entertainment software. Microsoft sold ~40 million similar kinds of multifunctional bluray players that are also capable of playing various forms of entertainment software on the side.

Sure many household will have two or more of these devices so there is ALOT of overlap, and there isn't actually 210+ unique million households with supercharged bluray players that can play certain types of entertainment software on the side, but the amount of households with bluray device penetration is quite darn broad.

Last edited:
If it has an optical drive, yes.
what's the evolution of physical media? You are betting on a winner here.

There is no future for physical media other than the present proyecting into the future. A friend of mine is going to lend me a CD about militar cartography, and I realised that I don't have a single device at home that can read CDs -maybe the Xbox One? But I need to copy it, so...it's not an option-.

Not shure why people are discussing about percentages of 4K blu-ray movies, or percentage of sales of DVD and BD movies.
That’s just irrelevant. That’s a completly diferent market.
The question is: Do you place a High capacity BD player in PS5 making it able to access physical media, or not, turning it into a digital device.
There is no cheaper way to distribute physical media than to use a BD disc. And since this next gen game size will increase, a new high capacity BD will be required.
The other cheaper alternative is just no BD at all, and a 100% digital streaming or downloads console.
So... the relevancy of movies sold in either format is irrelevant.
The question is: on a market like the gaming consoles, that still gets more than 50% of its sales on the physical format, is it a good move to remove the BD player?
I think not! All consoles can acess digital, but only those with a BD player can access physical. And the savings on not placing the BD drive over the potential losses of sales are just not attractive at all.
A Nielsen study says about 66% of players still prefer physical over digital. Data caps, internet speed, internet availability, etc, are still issues. Reducing the potencial market for such a small cost saving just doesnt seem logic.
And without logic... Vulcans are out. ;)

The question is: Do you place a High capacity BD player in PS5 making it able to access physical media, or not, turning it into a digital device.
You can use standard BluRays instead of UHD BluRay, and just distribute on multiple disks for bigger games.

I played Money Island Two on 11 floppies including relentless disc swapping. modern gamers are molly-coddled and becoming weak, which is only going to make it easier for the computers to take over.

I’ll one-up you. I remember when they came on multiple floppy disks. :D

Yeah. Great times. When we got our 386 DX40, me and my brother both got to pick a game. He picked Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I picked somehing called Inka because the box was cool. He made the smart choice and I got a giant turd spread over twelve discs.

That said, at least you could install them all.

Last edited:
You'd only need to swap once, for installation. You clearly would have melted at the prospect of installing Windows 95 from 3.5" floppies. Thirteen discs BTW. :mad:

I did CDs back then and even then I think I melt down a lot quicker now than when I was in my teens! [emoji23]

Back