Climax's next gen 3D engine ?

Guden Oden:

> That's why god created middleware!

Middleware is hardly a guarantee for consistent gfx quality - just look at all the Renderware powered games. While talent is important I think it will really come down to time and money next gen.

I just hope they won't rush the launch games... PlayStation 2's launch games were hardly finished and were full of bugs & glitches.

Evil_Cloud said:
I just hope they won't rush the launch games... PlayStation 2's launch games were hardly finished and were full of bugs & glitches.

Every gen, launch games are MOSTLY rushed, uninspired and bought by hordes of tech fanboys dismissing the jewels appearing on previous consoles at the same time.

cybamerc said:
Middleware is hardly a guarantee for consistent gfx quality - just look at all the Renderware powered games.

Sure, middleware won't eliminate the need for talent, but it certainly HELPS if you don't have to create an entire gaming engine in addition to programming the game logic and creating content as well.

Even you have to admit it levels out the playing field considerably.

nobie said:
I find it ironic that they say motion blur and depth of field will be such cool new effects, when it's already commonplace in PS2 games.

I find it ironic that 3dfx was pushing these features back in 2000, and I think many dreamcast and PC games did them through multitexturing.

BTW, things like middleware are the reason hardware has to advancee so fast. If every company did the kind of work that say.....Tecmo did with Ninja Gaiden, console lifespans could probably last a few extra years.

Read the article, and i was EXTREMELY surprised by the amount of crap i found in it, considering it was in Edge magazine, which is the self-crowned "best multiplatforms gaming mag ever" who pride themselves to only have given 2 perfect 10s in their live (Mario 64 and Halo)... :rolleyes:

Really, they should know better...

B3D is STILL the best place to find next-gen information, or lack of...

Read the article, and i was EXTREMELY surprised by the amount of crap i found in it, considering it was in Edge magazine, which is the self-crowned "best multiplatforms gaming mag ever" who pride themselves to only have given 2 perfect 10s in their live (Mario 64 and Halo)...

didn't they gove Zelda:OOT a Ten?

EDIT:

Just checked, yup 10/10 (not gonna argue with that), on the other hand they also gather Gran Turismo 1 the same score.......

notAFanB said:
Read the article, and i was EXTREMELY surprised by the amount of crap i found in it, considering it was in Edge magazine, which is the self-crowned "best multiplatforms gaming mag ever" who pride themselves to only have given 2 perfect 10s in their live (Mario 64 and Halo)...

didn't they gove Zelda:OOT a Ten?

Mmm not sure, probably... When they gave a 10 to Halo (errr no comment), they were making a huge (really, HUGE) deal out of it and only named M64 as the "only other one to get it".. But my memory could be playing up... ;)

london-boy said:
Edge magazine, which is the self-crowned "best multiplatforms gaming mag ever"

The entire Edge staff quited their jobs a few months ago because of an internal struggle with Future Publishing. Edge doesn't represent anything nowadays...

Evil_Cloud said:
london-boy said:
Edge magazine, which is the self-crowned "best multiplatforms gaming mag ever"

The entire Edge staff quited their jobs a few months ago because of an internal struggle with Future Publishing. Edge doesn't represent anything nowadays...

Interesting... That explains the JOKE that was that "next gen graphics" article... Really, even bloody IGN could have done better..

london-boy said:
Interesting... That explains the JOKE that was that "next gen graphics" article... Really, even bloody IGN could have done better..

I just can't wait to see that new feature, motion blur, in action on PS3 and Xbox Next. :LOL:

akira888 said:
london-boy said:

I just can't wait to see that new feature, motion blur, in action on PS3 and Xbox Next. :LOL:

Or the next gen feature, Depth of Field!!! :LOL:
No, seriously, it's such a shame, Edge used to be a hell of a magazine, which it still is, but it's just "different"...

Back